[SOLVED] Need help with RAM overclocking

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
So I just updated the BIOS in my new build. I have 32GB of memory installed dual channel.

This is my memory here.

I tried to enable DOCP but my PC clicked on and off a few times and then a screen came up saying it was in safe mode and there was some instability. So I pressed F1 to go back into the BIOS to disable the DOCP profile 1. Then my PC booted up and went into windows as normal.

I have a picture showing what my BIOS says about my memory.
596SWee.jpg

My memory is supposed to be able to run at 3200MHz.

I am new to this so I have no idea what went wrong.

I know the 3700X is supposed to be compatible with 3200 memory.

Someone told me the brand of memory I have doesn't work really well with AMD boards.

They suggested I get 2 8GB sticks instead.

Can anyone recommend some RAM that I can use and overclock with an ASUS X570 TUF gaming Plus?

I would like to stay at 32GB and at least 3200MHz. Though I heard 16GB is better for overclocking.

Last edited:
Solution
Good plan I think.

As for: " I guess I should have looked into the RAM a little better when I bought it."

Valid to a point but for the most part we all reach some point of diminishing returns when we just go and make the purchase.

Much harder to ferret out what is "not said" and sometimes issues do not show up in numbers enough to get early attention.

So consider it overall as "no harm, no foul". Just tell/explain potential buyers the issue(s) you experienced and help them avoid future problems.

Ralston18

Titan
Doublecheck both the RAM being used and its' physical installation.

The guiding document is the motherboard's User Manual:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...0-PLUS/E15235_TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf

(Verify that I did indeed find the correct User Manual.)

Supported memory is listed on physically numbered Page viii and Pages 1-4, 1-5.

And, you should also check the motherboard's manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information and the RAM QVL (Qualified Vendor's List).

Read all the fine print and any referenced sources.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Doublecheck both the RAM being used and its' physical installation.

The guiding document is the motherboard's User Manual:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...0-PLUS/E15235_TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf

(Verify that I did indeed find the correct User Manual.)

Supported memory is listed on physically numbered Page viii and Pages 1-4, 1-5.

And, you should also check the motherboard's manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information and the RAM QVL (Qualified Vendor's List).

Read all the fine print and any referenced sources.

I talked to some people on another forum and they said that the memory controllers on AMD boards are picky. That this Corsair RAM is more aimed at intel and it doesn't overclock well on AMD motherboard.

So I just picked up a 16GB set of RAM on Newegg for $93. It's a G.Skill Trident with the RGB lights on it. I don't really care about the RGB. I just want RAM that I can run at the listed speed so it works well with my CPU.

I plan to just sell this set on Craig's List. Though I have seen several tech articles so far that recommends Corsair LPX Vengeance RAM for Ryzen CPU's. I guess I should have looked into the RAM a little better when I bought it. But at the time I was using an intel CPU that only supported RAM speeds of 2133.

The new G.Skill Trident RAM works specifically with Ryzen and will use the overclock profile on the board. Though it's only 16GB. But I haven't found a game that actually uses 12GB. Usually it's 7-10.

Ralston18

Titan
Good plan I think.

As for: " I guess I should have looked into the RAM a little better when I bought it."

Valid to a point but for the most part we all reach some point of diminishing returns when we just go and make the purchase.

Much harder to ferret out what is "not said" and sometimes issues do not show up in numbers enough to get early attention.

So consider it overall as "no harm, no foul". Just tell/explain potential buyers the issue(s) you experienced and help them avoid future problems.

Reactions: n00bguy84
Solution