[SOLVED] Need Help With SonicWall Port Forwarding

Titan91

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I'm setting up a SonicWall TZ600 firewall for the first time. I have entry level experience with SonicWalls. I set up the WAN interface, PortShield Group for the LAN interfaces, and DHCP server just fine. I'm not doing anything fancy with multiple PortShield Groups, VLANs, etc. The box is up and running great with internet working. Next I need to forward TCP/UDP ports 85 and 9000 to the WAN for a camera system DVR. I have a static IP address on my modem and the DVR, and confirmed both ports are open on the LAN. I initially found the below video from SonicWall describing how to do this for a web server:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV95_jAiPEE

After following the steps exactly (using my port numbers of course) it didn't work. I tested the phone app over LTE and using a port testing site and found both ports were closed. I'm replacing a cheap router which allows these ports through, so I know the ISP/modem isn't the problem. After researching this further I discovered SonicWall's video is missing both outbound and loopback NAT rules. Since I'm not familiar with doing this manually, I came across this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1T-iAblitw

So I removed all of my custom access rules, NAT rules, and created a group for my service objects. The group contains all 4 of my service objects resembling all 4 ports. I then followed the built-in Public Server Guide. I named the access and NAT rules "Wizard Created" so I can see which rules the wizard made. Following this, I see all needed rules were added, but the port forwarding still isn't working even following a reboot of the firewall. I even moved the DVR to the primary X0 LAN port in case the PortShield Group was causing a problem.

I have a feeling the wizard picked up on an old setting I saved incorrectly. On the summary screen of the wizard, one of the items said it was being re-used (I think it said X0 internal IP). I'm not sure what this means. Has anyone seen this issue with the wizard before? Maybe I should factory reset the box and do the wizard first thing?

Solution
It does but that's not my intention. Found out from a couple of SonicWall admins this is a common bug. I'll keep trying, thanks.
Trying the dmz was just to confirm that the isp or device wasn't blocking anything.

Interesting that it's a bug. There's usually a workaround for bugs too.