Question Need help with Spectrum Internet high upload ping with nobody on network ?

celiktanner

Reputable
Dec 13, 2018
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
OS build 19043.1826
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Modem: Motorola model MB8600
Router: Spectrum WIFI 6 Router

Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) PCIe Controller (x16) -1901
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V

I'm on Spectrum 500/20 plan. And while the upload and download speeds are fine, it seems once I get under load, the upload latency starts creeping up, and it will get as high as 500ms until the end the of the test. (Using speedtest.net)

As of right now, I'm directly connected to my PC from the modem, but had the same issues when I had my PC wired into the router.

I should note that this issue is happening on my Iphones, games on my phone, our firestick, etc.

I'm not sure how to check how many devices are currently connected to the network, but I have before, ensured anything that could transmit a signal was turned off and unplugged (not sure if that actually dropped them from the network or not).

I hope this is everything needed, as this is my 1st post, but I can provide more information if needed (which I'm sure will be). I'm not too savvy with networks, so please bear my ignorance as I'm trying to fix this, as well as learn in the process.

*NOTE: Spectrum did send a technician out, and said that all of the signals and connections look good as far as from the outside to the house, and from the house to the modem.

What do you mean under load and how are you testing the latency.

If you try running a ping while speedtest runs that is the expected result. When you hit 100% of your bandwidth the router/ISP places extra data into buffers rather than drop it. These buffers cause the delay. Many times people complain about this as being bufferbloat but the bufferbloat "solutions" just discard the data instead of buffering it. Every application except online games likes the data buffering. Most other applications retransmit lost data they would prefer it to be delayed rather than lost.

Reactions: celiktanner

celiktanner

Reputable
Dec 13, 2018
When running the speedtest it shows the latency for download and the latency for upload.

From what I see is that at the beginning of the speedtest my upload latency is lets say 20 ms, but by the time the speedtest is finished it's at 500 ms.

When I'm in a game such as league of legends, or fortnite, etc. I have around 83ms, and then randomly out of nowhere I go up to 300ms, and then it just starts bouncing around from there.

This is a strange one. Something is holding data in buffers.

Make sure you do not have any "gamer" network software installed. Many times this comes bundled with motherboards and videocards and claims to reduce latency for games but all it really does it causes strange issues.

I would try to boot your machine with a linux USB image. These run completely from the USB stick and should also have a browser that lets you run normal speedtest. This will show it is some windows setting.

If it does this on linux usb I don't know what to suggest. A guess would to try to factory reset your router and then only set the admin and wifi passwords. Many features on routers will cause the router to bottleneck its cpu.

celiktanner

Reputable
Dec 13, 2018
Right now I'm hardwired directly into the modem and having the same issue. This issue only started about 1-2 months ago out of the blue.

I am switching ISP's and getting the 1gig fiber from Frontier, so I hope that my issues will be resolved then, but this issue with Spectrum just stumped me, and I couldn't seem to find anything online that was of any help.

celiktanner

Reputable
Dec 13, 2018
I did a system restore, and wiped all the settings back to default, and only kept certain files, and upon restarting everything was temporarily fixed. About 2-3 days later, the upload latency started having issues again. It's making it to where online gaming is impossible, trying to load websites is impossible, using any device is essentially unusable on the network.

Did windows update in that time period? I'm wondering if perhaps it updated a driver that your system didn't like.

I think you should do a full windows update. Then go to your motherboard manufacturers website and reinstall all driver, mainly your network drivers. Be sure to uninstall the network device and check the box to delete the current driver first.

Then disable windows updates for a few weeks to ensure it's still working well.