Need help with upgrade. Ryzen 1600x

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
So I want to upgrade a few parts for a semi-new build. I'll be keeping some things, and changing out a few. I will mention the part and what I need help on.

CASE- I currently have this one, will it work with AM4 boards? https://www.amazon.com/ROSEWILL-Computer-Desktop-Pre-Installed-CHALLENGER/dp/B00BV31QU8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518677718&sr=8-3&keywords=rosewill+challenger

GPU- Gonna keep my gtx 970 for now because I don't feel like spending half a grand on a gpu atm. If you know a good gpu for me to take a small loss on if I sell my gtx 970, then please post what you think that should be.

CPU- After research I have decided on the r5 1600x Ryzen for my needs.

CPU Cooler- I'll probably just get the upgrade kit for my Noctua NH-U9B SE2. It's never let me down. If you have a suggestion on an air cooler though, let me know.

PSU- Currently have Antec Truepower Classic 750W Gold rated. Will this be ok for the build?

MOBO- I need help with this one the most. What would be a good mobo with decent VRMs for OCing and good bios? The cheaper the better obviously, but please mention what would be best. I don't want something that will just disappoint me in the first week of buying it.

HD/SSD- I still have my 240gb ADATA and a WD 1tb hard drive for storage, so this should be fine for now.

RAM- Currently have 16gb ddr3 so this will probably be my biggest hit $ wise. I need a suggestion on if I should go 8gb or 16gb and what ddr4 to get.

If there is anything else you think I should know, please post it.

Solution
Get 16GB right away, so you don't have to search for the same module later (and it will be quite soon). Besides, it is better to get the RAM in a certified dual channel kit, than buying them separately.

Like previously mentioned, 16GB is basically becoming a standard nowadays, 8GB is currently "good enough", but slowly becoming phased out.

Another vote for AsRock AB350 Pro4. Great value for the money.

Keep the GPU. It is in the same league as GTX 1060 (3GB version). GPU prices are crazy at the moment, so no point in losing money here.

PSU is good quality and will handle everything easily. In fact, it could handle two rigs like yours at the same time easily.

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for info so far. I'll wait for more input on the ram. While I would like 16gb, it hurts to think about spending 150-200 on it. I'll most likely get it last when I've got the CPU and mobo purchased.

Keep in mind with Ryzen you will also want ideally 3200mhz RAM, so it will be even more.

Like I said 8gb you can get away with, but more and more games especially the ever so popular Alpha/Beta games can easily exceed that. I know Star Citizen will blow past 8GB without breaking a sweat.

Get 16GB right away, so you don't have to search for the same module later (and it will be quite soon). Besides, it is better to get the RAM in a certified dual channel kit, than buying them separately.

Like previously mentioned, 16GB is basically becoming a standard nowadays, 8GB is currently "good enough", but slowly becoming phased out.

Another vote for AsRock AB350 Pro4. Great value for the money.

Keep the GPU. It is in the same league as GTX 1060 (3GB version). GPU prices are crazy at the moment, so no point in losing money here.

PSU is good quality and will handle everything easily. In fact, it could handle two rigs like yours at the same time easily.

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Noctua NH-U9B SE2 You will need order the free upgrade kit for Ryzen.

DDR4.. 8Gigs is the minimum but honestly 16gig is where you should go, even Firefox has got pretty memory hungry. Titles like PUBG really drink RAM as well. you will want 3200mhz that is the sweet spot for Performance.

Cheap decent MB on AM4

If your going to buy a 1600X and overclock look at X370 boards these are good priced units with a great balance of features and both VRM power phase and Cooling.

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 AM4 AMD Promontory X370 8+4 Phase, RGB LED $139.99 after $10.00 rebate
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157758

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 DDR4 X370 AM4 ATX Desktop Motherboard $114
https://www.walmart.com

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The B350 Pro 4 has a 6+3 power phase and decent cooling but lacks good RAM support, with a 1600X overclocked and RAM @ 3200mhz and above the VRM gets quite hot this probably wont be a problem but spending a little more on a X370 with a better power phase sure makes a nice difference in VRM temps.

The Fatal1ty is so much of a better board in both it's power phase, features and stability it's hard to not recommend it along with better RAM support. The Auros is also a rock solid option that has been one of the most stable for a 4ghz O.C.

For Asrock boards these RAM kits have be reported as being the most stable with holding higher O.C's and stability.

G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200mhz CL14 Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200mhz CL14 Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZ

Avoid CL16 if possible and stick to modules that use Samsung B dies, the latest patch has made holding any speeds close to 3000mhz much harder to achieve on popular modules like Trident RGB, Ripjaw V, Ripjaw IV.