[SOLVED] Need help with what to do after changing my Motherboard and CPU

Oct 15, 2020
Hi all,

I will be swapping out my intel i5 7500 and Asus H110 motherboard for a b450 and R3 3100 or R5 1600/2600 depending on price. Most of my data is on a HDD, my boot drive is an SSD with only one game installed on it. I plan on transferring my game data via steamapps back to the HDD and then changing the hardware. Will I lose any data from my HDD when re-installing windows or will it just all be there once I reconnect to the Mobo? I plan on disconnecting the HDD until after windows has updated.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Why would you think you would lose data?
You won't lose data.
After you transfer the game data to the HDD power down, disconnect the HDD.
Install Windows to the SSD.
Power down....reconnect HDD....power up.
Your game data should be on the HDD along with everything else that was on the HDD before you disconnected it.
Why would you think you would lose data?
You won't lose data.
After you transfer the game data to the HDD power down, disconnect the HDD.
Install Windows to the SSD.
Power down....reconnect HDD....power up.
Your game data should be on the HDD along with everything else that was on the HDD before you disconnected it.

Solution
Oct 15, 2020
Thanks. To be honest I didn’t think I would lose data, I just wanted to double check. I guess it’s just people who have all data on their boot drive that need to back up. This is the first time i’ve done a motherboard replacement so just wanted to make sure I do things right.

USAFRet

Titan
For the OS install in the new system, have ONLY that one drive connected.

Thanks. To be honest I didn’t think I would lose data, I just wanted to double check. I guess it’s just people who have all data on their boot drive that need to back up. This is the first time i’ve done a motherboard replacement so just wanted to make sure I do things right.
You're welcome....and if you have room on the HDD.....I would make an image file of the SSD every so often and put it on the HDD. This way if anything happens to your SSD....you can get back up running quick.