answer

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I'm going tom get a new monitor and I don't what to look for. I'm not talking about brand names but specs like dot pitch and others.
would I see any real difference if I get a monitor with a dot pitch of .25 vs .27?
I'll be using this primarily on games and a little of everything else

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
dot pitch matters less than other things;but you will notice the difference.

The most important thing is the recommended resolution and refresh rate-this is how fast your monitor can move between images.Lcd is still inferior to Crt for gaming.

Other things which matter are convergence(how well the monitor paints colors) and geometry(how well it draws the images-does a circle look like a circle or an oval.

You'll have a choice between two main types shadow mask(same tech as a Tv) and aperture grill which can be detected by two lines running across the screen.Aperture grill is better for gaming;but blurs text and is bad at the edges.Watching Angel now-so goodbye.

answer

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I don't think convergence and geometry specs are given when you buy a new monitor. Does anybody know if the Samsung 753DFX is a good monitor? Thanks!

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
<A HREF="http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7610_7-5084364-5.html?tag=more#4" target="_new">http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7610_7-5084364-5.html?tag=more#4</A>

Samsung is a good brand,I don't know that monitor;but I assume the "DF" is for dynaflat.Samsung's dynaflat monitors are one of the better shadow mask monitors Anandtech usually recommends them in their systems guides,so if you're getting a shadow mask either get a samsung dynaflat or a samsung magic bright;but the magic bright might be better if you're just gaming;but they only make them up to "19" while their best monitor is a 21" dynaflat(I think-have not been to their website in a while).

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
went to samsung's site did not see any dfx;but if this is their 17" I would consider going up in size to a 19 incher-they've better resolution and are bigger and not that much more expensive.Newegg is selling a 19"dynaflat for $219 shipped.I know I've seen both the dynaflat and magic brights in 17" size at best buy-so you might want to go there and check them out;remember that monitors of the same model will not be exactly the same,so look at more than one of the same model to see if you like it.