[SOLVED] need help

Solution
I am curious how win 10 fits into 12.9gb of storage. What did it cut off, wonder if it copied a stack of itself onto the hdd at the same time. But then it works without the hdd in it... so thats interesting. I am amazed you got that far, i thought Win 10 would check drive size before then?

It may appear to work but I don't know how.

I would suggest buying a normal NVME drive and use it as boot drive, hdd as storage and optane? I don't know, it feels like Intel launched the 16gb ones as a trap for people who may not know that 16gb of storage isn't much use anymore. Or the only people who they are meant for are OEM companies like Dell who use them to speed up the hdd, and let them continue to sell the slow hdd that no one wants anymore.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can move apps individually via the settings/apps/Apps & features

You can't use HDD for windows update, that has to be on the ssd as programs like it and drivers have to install on C drive.

You can't change the default location for all programs as that includes windows and drivers, and if they aren't on C they will break your PC.

Feb 8, 2021
I want to upgrade my windows 10 to a newer build but I haven't enough space on my system drive at all. and I know windows update files downloaded at this location : c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
so I tried symlink methods to change this location for saving my drive space and able to upgrade my windows to the better version but in this method I must stop update services for temp and for final step I must restart update service so I must use this code in cmd :

net stop wuauserv

but this code not works... so I cant rename this folder and I cant symlink this folder in another drive ...
so I posted this question for advise
thanks and regards

Colif

Win 11 Master
how big is the ssd? how much free space?

have you tried to download the Windows 10 media creation tool on another PC, and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

once you have USB, put it in PC that won't update
navigate to USB in file explorer
run setup.exe and agree to update current PC

or do you run into not enough space problems still?

Microsoft keep making it harder to stop update services because a lot of users want to turn them off, so its an ongoing battle between both sides.

Feb 8, 2021
how big is the ssd? how much free space?

have you tried to download the Windows 10 media creation tool on another PC, and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

once you have USB, put it in PC that won't update
navigate to USB in file explorer
run setup.exe and agree to update current PC

or do you run into not enough space problems still?

Microsoft keep making it harder to stop update services because a lot of users want to turn them off, so its an ongoing battle between both sides.

Well this what am doing. I’m using Intel® Optane™ Memory M10 Series (16GB, M.2 80mm PCIe* 3.0, 20nm) right listen. I install windows 10 on it and only give me 12.9gb and fast boot I like it but problem is the windows updates to much and I’m sure we can use two drives one that’s only windows and other for windows update and adding programs if possible.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't install win 10 on 12.9gb of storage. that is too small. Anything smaller than 120gb is too small - we say 120gb is too small but people insist on using it.

16gb of optane is more useful for cache drive for the hdd, not as a install location.
You install windows on the hdd
once its installed, you put https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST- on the hdd and use it to set the optane up as a cache drive, it will speed up the hdd. It will use the optane as location of the boot files so pc boots much faster.

or buy and ssd and use it as boot. Optane needs to be bigger before its useful as a boot drive.

Last edited:
Mentioned 16 GB Optane SSD in Windows is useful only for ReadyBoost cache. Or as storage for swap file.

Which motherboard you have? If motherboard have enough space for M.2 2280 size drive with appropriate spacer hole at end, replace existing Optane SSD with any good brand PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD drive (at least 256 GB, but 512GB or 1 TB is better) and clone existing Windows to it. Or reinstall Windows here. You can keep HDD drive for archives.

If motherboard does not have enough space for M.2 2280 size drive, you can find M.2 2242 NVMe or SATA SSD with larger capacity instead. Check which interface is supported by your motherboard.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021
You can't install win 10 on 12.9gb of storage. that is too small. Anything smaller than 120gb is too small - we say 120gb is too small but people insist on using it.

16gb of optane is more useful for cache drive for the hdd, not as a install location.
You install windows on the hdd
once its installed, you put https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST- on the hdd and use it to set the optane up as a cache drive, it will speed up the hdd. It will use the optane as location of the boot files so pc boots much faster.

or buy and ssd and use it as boot. Optane needs to be bigger before its useful as a boot drive.

I agree and understand that but I know I can run it off intel just for windows boot only and all files to hhd even windows update and Iv seen people that have no space left for windows update and had the files downloaded to hhd. That’s what I wanted to do

I believe you are trying to put square shape peg in round hole. Or make love standing in hammock during hurricane - which metaphor you like better. Stop doing stupid things and decide what you want. HDD with ReadyBoost cache on Optane or two SSDs where Optane is used as swap space.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am curious how win 10 fits into 12.9gb of storage. What did it cut off, wonder if it copied a stack of itself onto the hdd at the same time. But then it works without the hdd in it... so thats interesting. I am amazed you got that far, i thought Win 10 would check drive size before then?

It may appear to work but I don't know how.

I would suggest buying a normal NVME drive and use it as boot drive, hdd as storage and optane? I don't know, it feels like Intel launched the 16gb ones as a trap for people who may not know that 16gb of storage isn't much use anymore. Or the only people who they are meant for are OEM companies like Dell who use them to speed up the hdd, and let them continue to sell the slow hdd that no one wants anymore.

Solution
I don't know, it feels like Intel launched the 16gb ones as a trap for people who may not know that 16gb of storage isn't much use anymore. Or the only people who they are meant for are OEM companies like Dell who use them to speed up the hdd, and let them continue to sell the slow hdd that no one wants anymore.

Optane drives appeared when SSD was still a novelty and very expensive. 16 GB was enough to keep Windows 7 system files for fast boot support. Thing was named ReadyBoost cache because it definitely helped to boot faster than from HDD only and was not that expensive. Of course nowadays with affordably priced SSD abundance there is no reason to have this crutch named ReadyBoost anymore.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Optane is only recent, like last 3 years or so. It was announced in 2015 but only been on sale since 2017. I had a 250gb ssd by then

Sure you not confusing it with how Intel used Intel Rapid Storage Technology alongside small ssd to make hdd seem faster? That was their use for the software when ssd where like 32gb in size and before ssd got big enough to run windows as a boot drive, and not just where it stores the boot files. Now Optane has given it a second life, essentially doing the same thing. Laptop makers are doing it again.

Readyboost started out as USB flash drives, it might be optane now but originally it was just put USB in and it would use that as a cache. I used to do that.

Last edited:
Never was a fan of crutches like ReadyBoost so my memory may fail me here about exact origin. Anyway seems that tiny Optane SSD is used for similar purpose as ReadyBoost was. And better should be used as thumb drive somewhere else. Or as keychain accessory.

Colif

Win 11 Master
HP, in their wisdom, when making his PC decided to include a 16gb nvme of optane. I think what has happened is he reinstalled win 10 and the install process found the optane he may not have known was there, and windows has installed itself on the optane.

Its a common enough problem which I have seen in the past, the hdd dies and the person who owned PC may not have known the cache drive existed before as it is hidden from Windows. It only shows up when they go to install on new hdd.

HP instructions for using Optane in their PC - https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05591811

Video in here might help op when he goes to fix problem - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...3/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Reactions: Krotow