NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Jedi_Ninja

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
OK I spent a lot of money(well a lot more than i would of) just to play counter-strike. Computer works great!!! JUST NOT COUNTER-STRIKE.
Plays for about 20 minutes or less than freezes my system.

Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO-SLI
AMD 64 Athlon X2 4200+ not OCed
1 gb patriot PC3200 (512x2)
eVGA e-GeForce 7300 GS DDR2 256mb PCIe until i get my
eVGA e-GeForce 6800 GS(SLI) DDR3 256mb PCIe back from RMA
Nspire 450 watt PSU

Tried swapping out processors between my buddy's MB works fine both ways. He has an Asus something

Running out of money, time, and patience. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Did it have this problem with the old video card?

My first attempt would be downloading and installing the latest drivers, even if you already have them, something might have gotten corrupted.

If that does not work try cleaning out msconfig just to make sure nothing is conflicting with that game.

If the problem didn't happen before putting in this video card try swapping out the video card with your buddy's system and see if he has any problems with it.

Good luck.

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
OK I spent a lot of money(well a lot more than i would of) just to play counter-strike. Computer works great!!! JUST NOT COUNTER-STRIKE.
Plays for about 20 minutes or less than freezes my system.

Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO-SLI
AMD 64 Athlon X2 4200+ not OCed
1 gb patriot PC3200 (512x2)
eVGA e-GeForce 7300 GS DDR2 256mb PCIe until i get my
eVGA e-GeForce 6800 GS(SLI) DDR3 256mb PCIe back from RMA
Nspire 450 watt PSU

Tried swapping out processors between my buddy's MB works fine both ways. He has an Asus something

Running out of money, time, and patience. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Do you play other demanding games on this system? How do they run? Is your RAM working as it should?

There shouldn't be any problem with your PSU, my friend has a 450W, a 7800GT, and likewise specs to yours and his rig runs perfectly. The motherboard should be fine as long as it hasn't been scratched or broken or something. If the video card is working as advertized and has the latest drivers, it should be fine too.

As for other things, just check to make sure you have the latest drivers. Tell us how your RAM is running.

Good luck! :D

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
this 7300GS is one of those passively cooled? it seems like something is overheating... you should test memory too, as others pointed out

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Are you overclocking anything?

What else are you running in the background??

Run memtest on your RAM to see if any errors come up.

Also, as noted earlier, what eye candy and resolution are you running. You could be taxing the card.

unstable

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
my first thought would be heat...especially a game like CS, it's going to put a load on the system. Ensure your fans are operating nominally and your board isn't running hot.

I had a similar issue when trying to render video on one of my systems. Everytime I would attempt to render it would get so far and the system would lock up. I checked mem, cleaned out crap in the reg, reinstalled the application and patched it...come to find out the fan on my NB died and the stress of the app was causing the lock. Too bad I didn't realize that until it was too late :D

jeanne

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004
I have the same card (XFX7300GS)on an MSI RS480M2 with AMD 4000+ , 1 GB RAM and a 20.1 Dell widescreen. Ever since I installed the card, I get periodic freezes, and either have to reset, or the system reboots itself. The card is Turbo Cached, but I don't think you can turn of the Turbo. It freezes on screensavers, or playing Java games, and sometimes just when using IE.
Any ideas?