Need new print head and ink, is it worth it?

irishred

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Hello,
I had my canon MP970 stolen a while back. Police returned it without print head and ink. To replace print head is $129(sticker shock)and five ink $57. I need some input on whether I should just junk it or keep it. It did a great job on photo and it still runs just won't know how it will print yet. I plan to buy a good MF monochrome laser for every day tasks but will need a good photo printer. I know to run it once a week to keep ink in use. I haven't had the canon for two months before it was stolen.

Solution

Sadly, when you consider the cost of a new printer, it makes more sense to buy a new one than to replace the print head and inks. You will have to do all of the work of replacing the missing parts and it may not work...

neurad1

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

Sadly, when you consider the cost of a new printer, it makes more sense to buy a new one than to replace the print head and inks. You will have to do all of the work of replacing the missing parts and it may not work afterwards. I have had a lot of trouble with Canon printheads, in particular. If you are going to print photos, do it via an online photolab. If you are going to print documents, just get a document printer. They are generally cheaper and less finicky, and use less expensive ink.

Solution