Question Need new router and maybe a modem..suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ralston18

Titan
All other things aside: I would buy two switches.

Why: redundancy.

Just in case there is the proverbial "puff of smoke" and the switch is dead. :(

You still have (hopefully) the other switch to at least keep some network devices online.

Or be able to swap switches for troubleshooting purposes.

Redundancy, etc. or may not be a viable consideration - and you still could have and use a direct connection or two via modem or router.

Always good, I think, to have some built-in options.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: ron648

ron648

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
All other things aside: I would buy two switches.

Why: redundancy.

Just in case there is the proverbial "puff of smoke" and the switch is dead. :(

You still have (hopefully) the other switch to at least keep some network devices online.

Or be able to swap switches for troubleshooting purposes.

Redundancy, etc. or may not be a viable consideration - and you still could have and use a direct connection or two via modem or router.

Always good, I think, to have some built-in options.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
#%@$& Ralston 18! Garsh darnnit! I am an industrial electrician working with PLC's every now and then so redundancy is something I can definitely comprehend. Thought I was done with this post! Sigh....

Ok. Back to the bandwidth issue. The router I want says it has 4 gigabit LAN ports. So that means each port can handle 1 gig of bandwidth right? So having two switches, EACH plugged into a LAN port on router, is capable of handling 1 gig of bandwidth from the internet, correct? Bandwidth between switches would be limited to 1 gig because of the cable connection(whether the cable goes from switch to switch OR thru router) but anything connected to the SAME switch can pass greater bandwidth. Am I getting it yet, lol?

On another note, I googled actual real time bandwidth of streaming movies and gaming. Gaming came in at 3Mbps and streaming movies was around 1.9-4.5Mbps depending on resolution. So if I am finally understanding all this stuff, in the end, for me, it just doesn't matter. Since I like the idea of redundancy, I will buy two 8 port switches.

Please tell me this all makes sense!

kanewolf

Titan
#%@$& Ralston 18! Garsh darnnit! I am an industrial electrician working with PLC's every now and then so redundancy is something I can definitely comprehend. Thought I was done with this post! Sigh....

Ok. Back to the bandwidth issue. The router I want says it has 4 gigabit LAN ports. So that means each port can handle 1 gig of bandwidth right? So having two switches, EACH plugged into a LAN port on router, is capable of handling 1 gig of bandwidth from the internet, correct? Bandwidth between switches would be limited to 1 gig because of the cable connection(whether the cable goes from switch to switch OR thru router) but anything connected to the SAME switch can pass greater bandwidth. Am I getting it yet, lol?

On another note, I googled actual real time bandwidth of streaming movies and gaming. Gaming came in at 3Mbps and streaming movies was around 1.9-4.5Mbps depending on resolution. So if I am finally understanding all this stuff, in the end, for me, it just doesn't matter. Since I like the idea of redundancy, I will buy two 8 port switches.

Please tell me this all makes sense!
It is very uncommon to saturate a 1GE port in a home situation. 4K streaming is typically under 40Mbit. IF you have a home NAS then you can saturate gigabit ports with backups. I do so every night.
There is something to be said for redundancy. But what is the probability of a failure? VERY minimal. At some point, your entire network comes down to a single point of failure. It could be your router, a switch, or your ISP. I generally recommend a single switch because it simplifies things. All your wired devices go to one place, you have a single cable to the router. A single power plug required.

Reactions: ron648