[SOLVED] Need overclocking assistance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Marxez

Prominent
Oct 13, 2020
Hey!

I am trying to overclock my pc with a AsRock B450M Pro 4 motherboard. I have a Ryzen 5 -1400 CPU. I got stuck during the procedure.
I cannot find an option for the multiplier in the BIOS. I can set the frequency and the voltage but nothing else.

Image here.

I tried overclocking just by setting the frequency and the voltage but it did not work.
Any suggestions on how can i do this?

Solution
Hey!

I am trying to overclock my pc with a AsRock B450M Pro 4 motherboard. I have a Ryzen 5 -1400 CPU. I got stuck during the procedure.
I cannot find an option for the multiplier in the BIOS. I can set the frequency and the voltage but nothing else.

Image here.

I tried overclocking just by setting the frequency and the voltage but it did not work.
Any suggestions on how can i do this?
try to update the chipset driver to the latest and update the bios to the latest after it. there are some improvement in the latest bios. could you change the frequency manually tho?

My disc is Koekieezz#0061 if you wanted to talk abt it.

Marxez

Prominent
Oct 13, 2020
Ok, if you type this in to google: XPG Z1 DDR4 2400 MHz (PC4 19200) 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Modules, Red (AX4U240038G16-DRZ) it should show on amazon. This is one of my rams. The other one should be this: XPG Gammix D10 2400MHz (PC4 21300) 16G (2X8GB) Memory Module Kit Red (AX4U240038G16-DRG)
I didnt buy a kit, i bought two different rams.
Here are pictures so you can find it easier: 1-2

Ok, if you type this in to google: XPG Z1 DDR4 2400 MHz (PC4 19200) 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Modules, Red (AX4U240038G16-DRZ) it should show on amazon. This is one of my rams. The other one should be this: XPG Gammix D10 2400MHz (PC4 21300) 16G (2X8GB) Memory Module Kit Red (AX4U240038G16-DRG)
I didnt buy a kit, i bought two different rams.
Here are pictures so you can find it easier: 1-2
I wouldn't dare to overclock it since i dont know which ic it is, given the low freq and loose timing.

If you wanted to decrease the latency more (which is beneficial to overall performance), i think it is better to go with 3600mhz kit, like Patriot Viper Blackout, Patriot Viper Steel, Team Dark Z Alpha (or Zα ), Team T-Create, Klevv Bolt X, and Klevv Bolt XR. All of them should be Hynix DJR/CJR.

I recommend the Patriot Viper Blackout 3600mhz CL17 since it is priced the same as all the kits given above, and it does have a Hynix CJR Chip.

My friends use a Klevv Bolt XR 3600mhz 16gb kit (Hynix DJR), and i helped him fine tuning his ram at 3466mhz (all timings not just primary) in his R3 2200G and it resulted really good, Here's the result:
unknown.png

Marxez

Prominent
Oct 13, 2020
I wouldn't dare to overclock it since i dont know which ic it is, given the low freq and loose timing.
Okay, thank you. I overclocked my CPU to 3750 and ran some tests. I used cinebench and i got much worse results than before the overclock. Above 3750 my pc crashes. Do you think my ram could be a problem? It says on the ram's description that its recommended for: AMD 300, 400, 500 series / AMD X570 / AMD B550 / Intel 200, 300, 400 Series

Okay, thank you. I overclocked my CPU to 3750 and ran some tests. I used cinebench and i got much worse results than before the overclock. Above 3750 my pc crashes. Do you think my ram could be a problem? It says on the ram's description that its recommended for: AMD 300, 400, 500 series / AMD X570 / AMD B550 / Intel 200, 300, 400 Series
If it crashes then your bin is not able to touch above 3700. it's 1.35v on cpu voltage right?

could my ram affect my performance in cinebench? before i started overclocking i had 3000+ points, now its 600. I am worried something isn't alright.
it should affect, knowing how ryzen works. Point is that the faster and the better the timing the ram you have, the less latency for infinity fabric, the better the performance.

I am thinking of things like the chipset i installed is not supported by my ram or something. I am not an expert though.
This has nothing to do with the ram as it is for the chipset itself.

Make sure it uses Amd ryzen balanced power plan, and the cpu all core clock is at 3.6 or 3.7ghz. if it does not stay constant, and turning below the overclocked state, then it is throttling.

The thing is for a better performance = Latest Chipset Driver + Lates Motherboard Bios. You could try to load optimized value on bios. save and exit, enter bios again and overclock the cpu again.

2400mhz for ryzen is pretty much hurting its performance.

Marxez

Prominent
Oct 13, 2020
One thing i maybe should've asked. On this website the latest update says its not srecommended for Summit Ridge CPU-s and my Ryzen 5 is one of them. Could this be an issue?