Question need PSU MODEL/WATTAGE ADVICE for 2 Low end Ryzen builds!

Jun 17, 2019
Hi so with all the ebay sales on i have purchased most of the parts for 2 NO GPU RYZEN 2000 AND 3000 builds and have 1 rather low end psu and need a new psu entirely for main build of the 2.

So i currently have these specs for my ryzen 2200G SET UP

Motherboard: MSI B450 PRO VDH PLUS
16GB DDR 2666 Ram sticks (generic i think)
obviously a ryzen 2200G CPU
Have 2 case fans in case if that matters
NO GPU Build with the Ryzen APU
1 TB SATA 6 .0HDD
240GB M.2 SSD
Voltron Bronze RGB PSU 240-250W? PSU

Now i purchased the Armageddon 1000 M-ATX Case with PSU so far fully installed and the few minutes i had my ryzen 3200g + full parts in there it seemed to all light up and fans all ran, the case had a 240 something what psu with it thats apparently "bronze rated"? Here is a webpage with the specs and what not...
https://www.mstronics.com/p/5034/armaggeddon-voltron-bronze-235-fx-gaming-power-supply.html

• 450W (Standard Rated Power)
  • 225W (Pure Power Rated)
  • Built-In 120 mm Silent Fan
  • AC Input AC 170V - 240V 2.5A Max. / 50 - 60Hz.
  • DC Output / Max. Output Current +3.3V (13A), +5V (14A), +12 (10A), -12V(0.5A), +5VSB (2.5A).
  • Cable Connector 1x - ATX 24pin ( 20Pin [2 SATA] + 4Pin [2 SATA] ) 1x - ATX CPU 4pin (2x HDD 4pin).
  • Pure/Real Power 225W
  • Max/Peak Power 450W

i missread the 450w and bought the case at a great price now i realize it's 240-250w? Despite the fact that i am running without a gpu i would assume i would be pretty tight on psu consumption, can anyone tell me if i am likely to be fine with this psu which i now see is not bronze 80+ but the lowest "White" 80+

2nd Build is pretty much the same minus a few things heres the list

Ryzen 3200G
b450m ds3h
NO GPU
16GB RAM
Also 2 case fans
1tb sata 6.0 hdd
240gb m.2 hdd
NO PSU chosen yet.

I need some advice on the cheapest/lowest possible wattage psu that will more then safely cover the components, and or if anyone know's what sort of wattage this set up would likely pull? thanks in advance for any replies/help on the matter!

DSzymborski

Titan
i missread the 450w and bought the case at a great price now i realize it's 240-250w? Despite the fact that i am running without a gpu i would assume i would be pretty tight on psu consumption, can anyone tell me if i am likely to be fine with this psu which i now see is not bronze 80+ but the lowest "White" 80+

It's actually a lot worse than you realize. It's not even a 240W-250W PSU.
b474af46271811e97db3b7eafced0a6c.jpeg

Since it's not 1998 and we're not powering a Pentium III, it's essentially a 156W PSU, not a 242W one. And it's not 80 Plus White either; it's 80 Plus nothing.

I would not use this PSU under any circumstances. Contact a local recycling center and see if they accept electronics for recycling.

Jun 17, 2019
there is no good quality ones below 450. Budget and country? Armageddon doesn't seem to be a good psu, but should be ok for your build...
Hi thanks for the reply i am in Australia Sydney and i would be hard pressed to believe a system like this would require a rated 450+ or higher PSU for a no gpu ryzen 3200 build surely 350 or so woul be enough, at least that was what i was assuming from the get go..

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi thanks for the reply i am in Australia Sydney and i would be hard pressed to believe a system like this would require a rated 450+ or higher PSU for a no gpu ryzen 3200 build surely 350 or so woul be enough, at least that was what i was assuming from the get go..

It's not that it requires 450W but that you'll have a very hard time finding a quality PSU that doesn't deliver at least 450W. The ones that do tend to be small form factor ones that will be more expensive than a Corsair CX 450.

Jun 17, 2019
It's actually a lot worse than you realize. It's not even a 240W-250W PSU.
b474af46271811e97db3b7eafced0a6c.jpeg

Since it's not 1998 and we're not powering a Pentium III, it's essentially a 156W PSU, not a 242W one. And it's not 80 Plus White either; it's 80 Plus nothing.

I would not use this PSU under any circumstances. Contact a local recycling center and see if they accept electronics for recycling.

I am a pretty basic level user with some brief research and like i said in my post just prior, surely a system without dedicated graphics card running a previous gen ryzen 2200G cpu and having only 1 sata hdd 1 m.2 2 case fans and 2 8gb ram stick will draw very little power? While i am already likely going to replace the psu to be safe im trying to figure out how much power id likely draw and how much i can be safe with at the lowest price point.

Voltron Bronze RGB PSU 240-250W? PSU

Whoa! That is a REALLY crappy PSU. Can some of you aussies get together and start a class action law suit against them for false claims?!?! That's the only way to stop shops from selling this crap.

You're right. You don't need more than 350W. But as stated, there are no good PSU < 450W typically. Reason being, it doesn't cost any less to make a quality 250W vs. 350W vs. 450W so why bother? That's why a 450W is suggested; because anything labeled less than that will be a firestarter.

Jun 17, 2019
It's not that it requires 450W but that you'll have a very hard time finding a quality PSU that doesn't deliver at least 450W. The ones that do tend to be small form factor ones that will be more expensive than a Corsair CX 450.

i seem to see a vast array of psu's available at lower wattage at various price points as mentioned i am rather ignorant in regards to computing and am trying to find out how much power this build will likely draw, what my likely lowest wattage cut off point would be and i will probably end up deciding a psu myself based off that, and i have no idea how i can calulate the parts to know those figures so thats why i'm here! :D

i seem to see a vast array of psu's available at lower wattage at various price points as mentioned i am rather ignorant in regards to computing and am trying to find out how much power this build will likely draw, what my likely lowest wattage cut off point would be and i will probably end up deciding a psu myself based off that, and i have no idea how i can calulate the parts to know those figures so thats why i'm here! :D

In case you did not know: A PSU only puts out as much power as demanded of it. You can use a 1000W PSU and have a 300W load and the PSU is only going to put out 300W.

The problem with cheap garbage PSUs is that they output poor power that can stress your components with poor output voltage regulation and lack of AC ripple filtering. They can lack protections that in the event of a short, surge, etc. can actually kill your other PC components.

So really, you need to lose the "I only need 350W so I'm going to buy a 350W power supply" attitude and stop asking for advice as it seems like you don't care about the well being of the components down stream from your PSU and can afford to replace everything within a year or two.

Jun 17, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($63.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $63.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-15 14:44 AEST+1000

poor quality ones are more likely to fail and they may bring down your other components with you.

Thanks for that info because i might just end up buying that psu! Was looking to spend $50-60 tbh and obviously corsair are in the upper market in psu's seems the way to go doubt id save much more searching mindlessly for cheaper alternative haha and that'd more then enough power at 450 with bronze rating surely.

DSzymborski

Titan

We're talking about the good PSUs. You can buy a lot of junk PSUs. These companies realize that a lot of people are are ignorant of or don't care about safety issues and will throw any hunk of junk in their PC if it leaves them more money for a CPU or a GPU.

The Corsair CX 450 is usually the least expensive PSU worth buying. It's not amazing or anything, but it's a solid budget PSU (if it were amazing, it would cost more!)