[SOLVED] Need some help setting up new MSI monitor with invidia graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Hi

Just bought a new MSI MAG274QRF-QD monitor and need some advise on best way it should be set up as have no clue which way to choose! after watching countless videos and nothing really helpful in manual.

I'm running Windows 11 with a
Nvidia Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
WD BLACK SN750 1TB high performance NVMe not that I think that matters
32gb ram again not doubt that matters.

I purchased the MSI monitor for it's G sync compatibility as I was obviously running nvidia but I fail to see any sign of it in the on screen setting only adaptive sync which I have enabled! after reading and watching many setups I fail to see anything relating to my requirements or what I think I need.

Is the Display port the better port to use or is the HDMI? again I read the display port runs 60Hz! doesn't make sense to run that low refresh rate! I'm running the resolution at 2560 x 1440 (recommended) with a refresh rate of 164.84 Hz though I have read 120 might be better again not sure why that would be! some clarity here would be good.

I have also selected HDR in System/ Display settings and have also installed driver for MSI monitor so it shows up in Displays but I have had to adjust Scale to150% in Scale and layout settings page as everything is like ridiculously small under that resolution! again not sure what that will effect.

Any help here would be really appreciated.

many thanks

Last edited:
Solution
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/g-sync-vs-freesync-vs-g-sync-compatible
"The G-Sync Compatible label is given to AMD FreeSync monitors where Nvidia GPUs can essentially ride the coattails of FreeSync, granting you adaptive syncing via the onboard DisplayPort protocols instead of an expensive processor."

https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/monitor/global/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD.pdf
"Display Port: 2560 x 1440 (Up to
165Hz)
Type C (DP alt.): 2560 x 1440 (Up to
165Hz)
HDMI: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 144Hz)"

test without adaptive sync?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I can only offer a little help here based on my experience with a 1440p 165Hz monitor. HDMI is only good for up to 60Hz. If you want to use a higher refresh rate you must use a display port cable. Why is your refresh rate at 143.85Hz? There should be a setting in the monitor menu to overclock it to 165Hz. If you can get that working you should use some sort of software like MSI Afterburner which includes Riva Tuner and you can use that to limit the frame rate. Gsync works up to your max refresh rate. For example if you allow unlimited frame rate, Gsync stops working above 165Hz (if that is what you have it set to). I have mine limited to 160FPS.

Edit: on the specifications page for your monitor at the bottom of the page under "note" it says:

Display Port: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 165Hz)
Type C (DP alt.): 2560 x 1440 (Up to 165Hz)
HDMI: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 144Hz)

Maybe they upgraded HDMI to achieve higher speeds than 60Hz. Either way if you want to take advantage of 165Hz, you still need to use display port or Type C.

Last edited:
Reactions: CitizenSmith

rgd1101

Don't
"The G-Sync Compatible label is given to AMD FreeSync monitors where Nvidia GPUs can essentially ride the coattails of FreeSync, granting you adaptive syncing via the onboard DisplayPort protocols instead of an expensive processor."

165Hz)
165Hz)

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yeah use displayport, not HDMI. You got it backwards, refresh rate is only uncapped on displayport, on HDMI you’re capped to 60Hz.

If it says adaptive sync is active, then that’s effectively what that monitor calls G-sync so yes it is working.

Desktop scaling to 150% doesn’t impact anything other than making it possible to read things, go higher if you want. I run at 300% on a 4k TV with no issues.

HDR boosts contrast and brightness and stuff in movies and some games. I’m not really sure what the point of it is, and it seems to screw up quite a lot and show weird colours, but apparently it’s a good thing? IDK.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah use displayport, not HDMI. You got it backwards, refresh rate is only uncapped on displayport, on HDMI you’re capped to 60Hz.

There are various HDMI standards, based on the above HDMI: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 144Hz), that would make this HDMI 2.0, and checking the spec sheet:

2x HDMI (2.0b), which is good for 4K 60hz, 1440p 144hz, (and more if you sacrifice some color), and 1920x1080 at 240hz.

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

165Hz)
165Hz)

Thanks for clarifying that it's a shame that kind of information isn't on the front of the box :/
especialy the clear way you explained it :)
Much appreciated and thank you

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

If it says adaptive sync is active, then that’s effectively what that monitor calls G-sync so yes it is working.

Desktop scaling to 150% doesn’t impact anything other than making it possible to read things, go higher if you want. I run at 300% on a 4k TV with no issues.

HDR boosts contrast and brightness and stuff in movies and some games. I’m not really sure what the point of it is, and it seems to screw up quite a lot and show weird colours, but apparently it’s a good thing? IDK.
Thanks and for clearing up the scaling, really hard to read crap at that size lol but thouht I was reducing some benifit by up scaling. so thanks for that :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They really should move to a system like they did for WiFi at some point (numbers instead of confusing letters). Or just bite the bullet and put everything on USB 4.

I had hopes when they put Type-C ports on GPUs, but it only lasted one generation.

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
There are various HDMI standards, based on the above HDMI: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 144Hz), that would make this HDMI 2.0, and checking the spec sheet:

2x HDMI (2.0b), which is good for 4K 60hz, 1440p 144hz, (and more if you sacrifice some color), and 1920x1080 at 240hz.
Thanks I had issue trying to select display port at first till I read i had to disconect and power off to reset it so it would pick up DP but all is fine now I think I'll keep just use DP from now on from what you guys have explained but it's all looking good so thank you all :)
real;ly is appreciated for your advise and instruction.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.