[SOLVED] Need some help with IDLE temps

Aug 7, 2021
A friend of mine realized I was running loud on my computer. For me it was normal. I simply didn't know. But it has lead down a rather long rabbit hole that I am ill equipped to figure out. He said I should get some programs to monitor the temps.

After picking up Core Temp I was able to see idling temps.

It seems my Idle temp is 45c with frequent jumps to 60c then back down. The jumps happen every few minutes. While gaming, the temps go from 80c to 85c. I have seen spikes as high as 91c. (everything I found says that is not good)

After doing some research I was told to download AMD Ryzen Master. After doing that I saw that EDC was at 90 to 99% of max. From here I was informed to go to BIOS and reset to default, which unless the factory did something it already was on default. Either way, nothing changed. EDC stayed the same. With some more playing around I placed into power saver mode.

Power saving mode dropped my EDC to 5% to 20%. Which seemed far more normal. The computer fans also slowed considerably and my IDLE temp dropped to 35c. This keeps the temps to 60c to 65c during gaming. Which to my knowledge is more the norm. But this negatively effects my performance doing most anything (gaming specifically)

Placing it back into balanced causes the EDC to skyrocket again, as well as the core temp to jump to 45c with frequent jumps to 60c and back down. After some more hunting I found there was a Ryzen balanced power plan that was supposed to fix this problem, and that if I didn't have it I would need to download the chipset driver. Using CPU-Z I was able to figure all that fun stuff out and get the driver. Which did install the Ryzen Balanced power plan. The problem is that its still a problem.

It does the same thing as the windows balanced with the same temp readings.

I have chasis fans which are all running as well as the CPU fan. So I am at a loss of what to do.

Total System specs

Case: Corsair CC-9011030-WW Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD Ryzen 2
Processor & Cooler: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler
Power Supply: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200 (someone noted I should be using DOCP in bios for it, but I didn't want to touch it with out really knowing what it did)

I am honestly not sure if anything else is needed.

I am debating on ordering some thermal paste and trying to reseat the fan. But I am not sure if I should.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Check your ambient temperatures. It's August in the northern hemisphere and that is typically the hottest month of the year.

Focus on the computer's operating environment rather than the computer's hardware. If you can get the room cooler that should help a lot.

Aug 7, 2021
Check your ambient temperatures. It's August in the northern hemisphere and that is typically the hottest month of the year.

Focus on the computer's operating environment rather than the computer's hardware. If you can get the room cooler that should help a lot.

Assuming you mean room temp. Computer is in the living room, which is kept at a frisky 71 degrees :D.

Aug 7, 2021
Well, maybe you want to change it into a Heatsink Tower model cpu cooler, like Noctua NH U12S or U12A, cheaper option is Deepcool Gammaxx 400S or Hyper 212

It kinda worked for me during hot days, make the cpu alot more calmer and cooler.

It may be something I have to try. Hoping there is a setting I don't know about before I get to that since my bank balance is currently just over 3 dollars :(. As for hot temperatures outside. I wouldn't know. I am a hermit with the AC set to 71 :D