[SOLVED] Need some help with my planned PC build?

Spiritous

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
Need some help seeing if the components I'm planning on buying are any good and compatible and if the psu wattage is enough or to much.

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus ULTRA
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 / CL16 / 2933 MHz / CMW32GX4M2Z2933C16
PSU: Corsair HX750i 750W
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB
Cooling: Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 / 360mm
3x 140 fans
1x 120 fan

I already have:
GPU: GTX 1070
Storage:
2 TB 5400 rpm
1 TB SSD
SEAGATE Backup Plus Hub 8TB
Monitors : 2x 1080p 60hz Samsung
Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO

Was also wondering if the ram can be faster than 2933 MHz or does the cpu restrict it to that speed? Saw a post about cpus, since if they are able to be overclocked, they can utilize faster ram.

Thank you in advance for any and all help, and sorry for my, perhaps, rather noob questions! ;)

Solution
i think it would mean moving the GPU yeah, but as the 3090 is still on gen 3 i think its not gonna get in my way for now atleast,

The X570 would be better for sure if you want, they have more lanes on the PCIE they going to run hotter tho the chipsets have active cooling, so another fan, which tend to be noisy and for me ill lose the 2.5GB LAN, i think i dont remember seeing any x570's with anything higher than 1gb, and we have 1gb now, 2.5 would be much nicer :D thats up to you buddy have a look into what is needing pcie4 when you will need one for a GPU, if you really need that high speed on the SSD at all

UltiBat

Commendable
Dec 9, 2020
Looks like a good build! Good job! I was wondering what you would be using this for. You could also go with a Ryzen build and its respective mobo. You could also try to cut back the CPU price to save room in the budget for a GPU upgrade. To answer your question, RAM can be OCed very easily using XMP. I normally go by the mobo specs, which will usually be listed on the site, right in front. I find that this gives you the best compatibility with minimal effort. (click link for reference to MHZ limit)

Mobo RAM Limit

Reactions: prateek320i

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
I agree looks good and i'd go ryzen :D but depends what you do on it, only thing i wouldnt go with would be the SSD, the 860 EVO read and write speeds are well below the 970 Evo, if its going to be your boot drive you are limiting yourself.

i was looking at the 10850k, but I think iv set my mind on Ryzen now, too many things about Intel put me off them, idk. I found stock in the EU for the 5600x and 5800x i just hope they have it come the new year. I went to buy last night but the payment wouldnt go thru so im taking that as a sign to wait see if any sales drop.

Spiritous

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
Looks like a good build! Good job! I was wondering what you would be using this for. You could also go with a Ryzen build and its respective mobo. You could also try to cut back the CPU price to save room in the budget for a GPU upgrade. To answer your question, RAM can be OCed very easily using XMP. I normally go by the mobo specs, which will usually be listed on the site, right in front. I find that this gives you the best compatibility with minimal effort. (click link for reference to MHZ limit)

Mobo RAM Limit

Thanks for the response. I mostly use it for gaming and studying, have quite a few tabs open on chrome most times (100+). I noticed my pc was bottlenecking because of my cpu, and to change it I need to upgrade a large chunk of my pc. The motherboard is supporting 5000MHz OC, I noticed. What would you recommend is a good speed for ram? I think the GPU is rather fine since I only have two 1080p monitors, don't know if the gains would be worth it.

I agree looks good and i'd go ryzen :D but depends what you do on it, only thing i wouldnt go with would be the SSD, the 860 EVO read and write speeds are well below the 970 Evo, if its going to be your boot drive you are limiting yourself.

i was looking at the 10850k, but I think iv set my mind on Ryzen now, too many things about Intel put me off them, idk. I found stock in the EU for the 5600x and 5800x i just hope they have it come the new year. I went to buy last night but the payment wouldnt go thru so im taking that as a sign to wait see if any sales drop.

Yeah, you are right about the SSD, how about one of these? Also, yes it is to be my boot drive:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series MZ-V7S250BW 250GB
Samsung 980 Pro Series MZ-V8P250BW 250GB

I have no experience with Ryzen but I guess the 5800x is the one closer to the 10700K. It is however more expensive, don't know if it is worth it.

Hope the sales drop for you! :giggle: The Rysen won't arrive where I live until January 5th.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, you are right about the SSD, how about one of these? Also, yes it is to be my boot drive:

I have no experience with Ryzen but I guess the 5800x is the one closer to the 10700K. It is however more expensive, don't know if it is worth it.

Hope the sales drop for you! :giggle: The Rysen won't arrive where I live until January 5th.
Differences between a typical SATA III drive (860 EVO) and a NVMe such as the 970 are minimal.
Between the 970 and the 980, even less so.

But....since current prices for the 970 are at an all time low, get that. No need to go as small as a 250GB.
500GB 970 EVO for $60 USD (on backorder, though)
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-500gb/p/N82E16820147690

970 EVO Plus for $90.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb/p/N82E16820147742

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
Thanks for the response. I mostly use it for gaming and studying, have quite a few tabs open on chrome most times (100+). I noticed my pc was bottlenecking because of my cpu, and to change it I need to upgrade a large chunk of my pc. The motherboard is supporting 5000MHz OC, I noticed. What would you recommend is a good speed for ram? I think the GPU is rather fine since I only have two 1080p monitors, don't know if the gains would be worth it.

Im one of those types that believes ram speed makes little to no difference, but the intel have locked the ram speeds at something silly like 2300, you need a K cpu and Z chipset motherboard to run anything faster, unless my wires are crossed, for some reason they think faster ram is a OC..

As for the 980 EVO that's PCIE 4 so if you do stick with the intel route you wont get the max benefit from it until the 11 series, you will be paying for extra performance you cant use for sure.

if you are gaming mostly and some multithreaded things like photoshop etc that arent too demanding then a 5600x is fine, the single core speeds dominate the 10900k. You really dont need 10 cores in most games unless you are really cranking the resolution, 4k at high settings takes a heavy load on the CPU, if its optimised for multithreading then sure a 5800 will be better than a 5600 but thats overkill for most people imho. at 1080p you will have so much spare CPU power with any of the options.

Apparently AMD are coming out with a non X version soon at like $220, but expect a 3-4 month wait or fighting the bots and scalpers. it might definately be worth waiting a little longer, but isnt that always the case, Intel and AMD have products dropping Q1 2021

Thats alot of tabs btw lol you know you can bookmark things yeah ;) haha i thought i was bad with like 15

Last edited:

Spiritous

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
Differences between a typical SATA III drive (860 EVO) and a NVMe such as the 970 are minimal.
Between the 970 and the 980, even less so.

But....since current prices for the 970 are at an all time low, get that. No need to go as small as a 250GB.
500GB 970 EVO for $60 USD (on backorder, though)
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-500gb/p/N82E16820147690

970 EVO Plus for $90.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb/p/N82E16820147742

The price difference is minimal, so might actually go for a 500GB.

Im one of those types that believes ram speed makes little to no difference, but the intel have locked the ram speeds at something silly like 2300, you need a K cpu and Z chipset motherboard to run anything faster, unless my wires are crossed, for some reason they think faster ram is a OC..

As for the 980 EVO that's PCIE 4 so if you do stick with the intel route you wont get the max benefit from it until the 11 series, you will be paying for extra performance you cant use for sure.

if you are gaming mostly and some multithreaded things like photoshop etc that arent too demanding then a 5600x is fine, the single core speeds dominate the 10900k. You really dont need 10 cores in most games unless you are really cranking the resolution, 4k at high settings takes a heavy load on the CPU, if its optimised for multithreading then sure a 5800 will be better than a 5600 but thats overkill for most people imho. at 1080p you will have so much spare CPU power with any of the options.

Apparently AMD are coming out with a non X version soon at like $220, but expect a 3-4 month wait or fighting the bots and scalpers. it might definately be worth waiting a little longer, but isnt that always the case, Intel and AMD have products dropping Q1 2021

Thats alot of tabs btw lol you know you can bookmark things yeah ;) haha i thought i was bad with like 15

Thanks for mentioning that the 980 is a PCIE 4.

Haha yeah, lets not even talk about the amount of bookmarks I have, those are a mess build upon a mess :sweatsmile:

Last edited:

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
Thanks for mentioning that the 980 is a PCIE 4. I have very limited knowledge about AMD, would you recommend the 5600X or the 3700X?

Haha yeah, lets not even talk about the amount of bookmarks I have, those are a mess build upon a mess :sweatsmile:
Im building myself a 5600x, but its coz of the games i want to play, the single core speed should help with things like KSP and ONI, things where logic and calculations are all bound by one core, and because im ready to go 4k, but thats literally my main purpose for my upgrade, if you dont play anything like Civ or microsoft flight sim you wont need to focus too much on raw CPU power, the 3700 is a great choice for 1440 gaming from what i know. you have the cores and threads available for workstation loads too, Im no expert myself im just doing the homework on things so i dont make silly mistakes ill regret later down the road, here to learn and help where i can ;)

Its hard to avoid that temptation to go for the biggest you can afford now, just coz you can, and theres nothing wrong with having too much, but looking at the way the 5600x dominates the entire 10th gen of intel in single core performance thats where im gonna put my money. Iv had intel for years myself and they seem to be a bit of a scummy bunch of ****s but they were the best so we had no choice, now we do have a choice. and the other options are looking pretty sweet.

AMD are gonna be bringing out a 5600 non X version for like 250 soon, that might be worth holding out for, if it has similar IPC and clock speeds, id expect them to be a little lower, but still, its gonna dominate intel, and im sure they gonna make sure its above every one of intels offerings, depending on what 11th gen can pull out.

Last edited:

Spiritous

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
What about this AMD build instead?:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC Moderkort
Ram: One of the following
Corsair Vengeance Black RGB LED Pro DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB (CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16)
Corsair Vengeance Black RGB LED Pro DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16)
Kingston HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB (HX432C16FB3AK2/32)
Kingston HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB (HX432C16FB4AK2/32-KO)
PSU: Corsair HX750i 750W
Storage:
Samsung 980 Pro Series MZ-V8P500BW 500GB (Boot drive)
WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD 1TB M.2 (WDS100T3X0C) (On sale right now)
Cooling: Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 / 360mm

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Does anyone also know the difference between the ram I am looking at?

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16 is apparently optimised for AMD, has slightly different timings,

The mobo and CPU should be a good fit, it has Q flash should you need it so bios chores should be easy, its got great VRM cooling. i have heard good things about it, that 980 again tho its PCIE 4 and wont get the full speed, thats a PCIE 3 board, im going for https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/asus+tuf+gaming+b550+plus+mainboard+sockel+am4+667263 which says its ready for it my germans pretty bad but "Next-Gen-Konnektivität: Unterstützung für PCIe 4.0 M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Typ-A und USB Type C" is exactly what im looking for, it isnt needed for this gen GPU's but SSD's make use of that speed, id recommend the TUF for your needs there if you are set on that 980 :p

Check the RGB on the ram is compatable with the RGB on the motherboard, it should be but you never know, it might be uncontrollable if its not and the motherboard would work better with addressable RGB not the old standard, i dunno what the boards use so check those things are all what you want/need. but i cant see any obvious faults with that setup.

Last edited:

Spiritous

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16 is apparently optimised for AMD, has slightly different timings,

The mobo and CPU should be a good fit, it has Q flash should you need it so bios chores should be easy, its got great VRM cooling. i have heard good things about it, that 980 again tho its PCIE 4 and wont get the full speed, thats a PCIE 3 board, im going for https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/asus+tuf+gaming+b550+plus+mainboard+sockel+am4+667263 which says its ready for it my germans pretty bad but "Next-Gen-Konnektivität: Unterstützung für PCIe 4.0 M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Typ-A und USB Type C" is exactly what im looking for, it isnt needed for this gen GPU's but SSD's make use of that speed, id recommend the TUF for your needs there if you are set on that 980 :p

Check the RGB on the ram is compatable with the RGB on the motherboard, it should be but you never know, it might be uncontrollable if its not and the motherboard would work better with addressable RGB not the old standard, i dunno what the boards use so check those things are all what you want/need. but i cant see any obvious faults with that setup.

Thanks for the ram info! ;)

I see that the MOBO does have a PCIe 4 m.2 slot, could I use that for the 980 or would that force me to use one of the PCIe 3 for the GPU?
Otherwise, what about this one instead, GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA?
It has more m.2 PCIe 4 slots, might be good if I'll need more space later.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
i think it would mean moving the GPU yeah, but as the 3090 is still on gen 3 i think its not gonna get in my way for now atleast,

The X570 would be better for sure if you want, they have more lanes on the PCIE they going to run hotter tho the chipsets have active cooling, so another fan, which tend to be noisy and for me ill lose the 2.5GB LAN, i think i dont remember seeing any x570's with anything higher than 1gb, and we have 1gb now, 2.5 would be much nicer :D thats up to you buddy have a look into what is needing pcie4 when you will need one for a GPU, if you really need that high speed on the SSD at all

Solution

Spiritous

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016

Alright, thanks for the help, hope your build goes well :giggle:

Reactions: Obiwancanabi