Build Advice Need some more Build advice

gekosauras

Prominent
Oct 11, 2023
I have two builds:

Questions:​

1. Compatibility Issue with AMD Motherboard:
    • The AMD build has a compatibility issue with the motherboard. Will this be easy to fix? I can’t remember the last time I had to install something for a motherboard.
  2. Performance Difference:
    • Will there be a noticeable performance difference between the two builds?
  3. Build Comparison:
    • Do the builds compare well? If any changes are needed, please advise.
    • The motherboard in the AMD build doesn't seem to match the quality of the Intel board. I’m not particularly fond of the AMD motherboard. What should I look for in a motherboard beyond RGB lighting and storage slots? I need it to support DDR5 at a fast rate and be compatible with the correct CPU generation.
  4. Affordability Concerns:
    • I find it hard to justify running an i9-13900K due to its heat output. That’s why I’m considering the new AMD system.

Goals for the Builds:​

• Designed for gaming, storage performance, and aesthetics.
  • I would like the system to be quiet, but I’m ready to proceed regardless.
I’m also waiting for the upcoming Intel Ultra and the possibility of the 50 series. I’d like to know how the builds compare and if any changes are necessary, especially regarding the motherboard.

Feel free to adjust anything else if needed!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The link for the AMD build doesn't work. Recheck what you've linked above, please.

Designed for gaming, storage performance, and aesthetics.
How are we supposed to interpret storage performance? As for aesthetics, you need to understand that something that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so you would need to decide on the aesthetics department. Regarding gaming, you might want to mention the sort of games you want to tax the system with, without mentioning an etc in that sentence.

I would like the system to be quiet, but I’m ready to proceed regardless.
Noise is a subjective topic as well, like design, since we've come across people who can hear the ticking of the motor in a fan while others can't. Some also use headphones to game whereby they can't hear the noise coming from the system. You can look into Noctua fans if silence is your first priority but they don't make LED fans. If you're looking for LED fans that are quiet, they are bad airflow, static pressure wise.

Your intel build looks fine, I wouldn't go with a 13th Gen processor though and I would scrap the secondary wireless adapter/card.

I’m also waiting for the upcoming Intel Ultra and the possibility of the 50 series.
I noticed you have a thread here too;
at the end of the day you will need to pull the trigger with your purchase. Yes if you can wait, there's bound to be new things around the corner but the question lies with you with a can you wait? and if you can then how long can you wait for?

Reactions: Lafong

gekosauras

Prominent
Oct 11, 2023
The AMD link should be fixed.
I’d like to assess my choices better. After spending about 2-3 hours researching Intel motherboards, I discovered that the i9-13K runs quite hot—something I’ve heard plenty of jokes about.
The issue is that I’m not particularly fond of the AMD board compared to my original choice, although I can’t quite pinpoint why.

Let me know if you’d like any adjustments!

We don't know why you chose either of those motherboards.

390 and 605 is more than most would consider, but you may have good reasons beyond generalities. What are they?

The AMD board apparently would require a BIOS update. That's usually a 10 minute process during which everything can go fine or you can land in the toilet. Maybe your reasons for choosing that board are strong enough to make you willing to take that chance.

Aesthetics are entirely personal, so you'll have to decide on that yourself.

Sensitivity to noise is also highly personal. Just like temperatures.

Maybe you prefer "cool but noisy" to "quiet but hot". We don't know where you land on that spectrum.

"Designed for gaming, storage performance..." Doesn't reveal much. Not enough specifics. You have chosen to allocate $480 on storage, but we don't know what led you to that decision. Maybe you have a specific reason.

The AMD link should be fixed.
I’d like to assess my choices better. After spending about 2-3 hours researching Intel motherboards, I discovered that the i9-13K runs quite hot—something I’ve heard plenty of jokes about.
The issue is that I’m not particularly fond of the AMD board compared to my original choice, although I can’t quite pinpoint why.

Let me know if you’d like any adjustments!
For both systems you will have to upgrade BIOS version, Intel for safety and AMD for performance.You chose most expensive MBs but they differ only by features comparing to cheaper ones without affecting performance.
You might want to wait a month or two for new processors and chipsets as well as GPUs, either for better performance or for this generation parts to get cheaper.

Reactions: Lutfij and Lafong

Lutfij

Titan
OP, please mention your location(since it shows USA in the drop down menu to the top right hand corner of your PCPartPicker listing, users have made that mistake prior while being located outside of the USA), your absolute budget, your preferred site for purchase and your purpose of the build. Essentially everything asked for in this thread;
so the community can chime in with better suggestion(s).

You did forget to answer some of my questions above. As for your AMD build, you just swapped out the motherboard and processor, while forgetting to add a discrete GPU to the list. You have yet to justify getting a secondary wireless adapter for your build, when both builds have WiFi and BlueTooth bundled into the boards.

Last edited:

gekosauras

Prominent
Oct 11, 2023
Approximate Purchase date: Hasnt been confirmed
Budget Range: 5-7k
System Usage from Most to Least: gaming
Are you buying a monitor: No already have 2 144hz with plans of buying more
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for parts: scorp tech (Australian based) not too fond of getting a pc shipped to my house and getting something stolen
Parts Preferences: by brand or type: don’t know tbh. Performance over preference
Overclocking: strictly no
SLI or Crossfire: don’t know what this is etheir
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, I’ll try to get a wide monitor sooner or later not sure how that will effect this.
Additional Comments: I want something that can run multiple instances of games at once. E.g: dota 2 while playing mordhau
(This is just a random pick)
I would like it to be able to play 4K games when I want too and I would like it to be able to launch something without having to worry about graphics and be “snappy” or more then usable with something slightly intensive open
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I already own a rig but have been running it through its corse the past 1-2 years. Was going to give it to a friend once I had cleaned it up.
I was going to use it for work once in a blue moon but anything can do that with mild data transfer.
Yeah, the wifi card was because I wasn’t originally getting one with the motherboard however it seems I picked one that had a dongle, not too fond of that but I will stick with the dongle. (In rare cases I will be using the dongle as a Ethernet failure solution)
The gpu for amd was a 4080 super as that’s the only reasonable card at the time of building.
The motherboard is more expensive because I want more m.2 slots
There is 500$ in m.2s because I want storage. I will fill up one from the get go.
Any part suggestions for whatever reason is helpful. :D

TRENDING THREADS