Need to factory restore Lenovo ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14"?

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I just received my new Lenovo ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14" UltraBook (http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga-14/).

I do not want to start using my new laptop until I update to Windows 10. I am aware that in order to update I need to click on the 'Windows Icon Button' in the taskbar, at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. From here I am supposed to enter my email address...

However here is the challenge, after installing all available Windows Updates, said button has DISAPPEARED!

I have downloaded and run the win10fix_full.zip file as suggested at CNET (http://).

After trying all of the fixes all I can say is that one 'fix' managed to crash my new computer to the point of requiring an immediate shutdown and a memory dump!

I am now thinking that the best course of action may be to return my new laptop to factory default settings.

Can anybody suggest how I can go about returning this unit to factory default settings? I don't just want to erase files, preferences, etc., instead I want to return Windows 8.1 to it's factory issued state.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

In an attempt to fix this I first followed the 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows' instructions at the link below -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

The above procedure did indeed restore my computer to the original Factory defaults.

However unfortunately when I booted up, entered my initial details, and got to the Desktop the 'Upgrade to Windows 10 button' was still missing.

My next port of call was to install all Windows updates, about 750 Megabytes, which I did. Then after several reboots, related to the updates, I once more returned to the Desktop only to find the button missing again!

I have now downloaded the Windows 10 iso from the link below, and will post back with my progress -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Kind Regards,

Davo

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I have succeeded in updating my new Lenovo to Windows 10.

Here is how I went about it...

1). Downloaded the appropriate 'Download Tool' from the last link in my last post.
2). Ran the tool, which created an ISO (I chose to place the ISO on a flash drive)
3). Followed the instructions provided at the link below -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

I was a little alarmed when I saw the message 'Make sure that you have the product key when your ready to install'.

11rypo8.jpg

I didn't want to take any chances here so I downloaded Balarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html).

Balarc showed me my Windows 8.1 Professional license details. I saved, and printed these just in case...but as it turns out they were not required. You may want to take this step just to be certain that your covering your bases.

I believe that the Windows key is actually embedded in the BIOS and therefore I did not need to enter any key details when performing the upgrade.

I chose not to keep any previous settings, because I have only just received this new laptop and everything went smoothly. The upgrade took about 30 minutes on my i7 with a SSD.

Kind Regards,

Davo

InTheSand

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Hi,

Do you have the model with the discrete 840M or 940M graphics, or the Intel graphics only?

I upgraded my Thinkpad Yoga 14 using a similar method to you, downloading directly rather than waiting for the notification icon, and I'm having various display-related issues, e.g. maximising pretty much any application (with the exclusion of the new Edge browser) results in a blank screen. Restoring the app to its previous size by double-tapping the top area of the screen then brings the display back up.

I did a clean Win10 install and blew away the restore partition (didn't think I'd need to retain it), but have subsequently re-installed 8.1 (again clean install) where everything works fine, and the same issue occurs regardless of a clean or in-place upgrade.

I'm interested to hear your feedback.

Mine's an i5, 8GB, 940M graphics, also brand new as of about a week before Win10 was released.

Cheers,

- Ali

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Ali,

Fortunately I have not experienced the issue that your describing.

My model is the Yoga 14 which has both the Intel HD, and the Nvidia 940M graphics.

I can say that I did need to install several drivers manually, either by selecting to 'Search the internet', or by downloading the appropriate driver from the Lenovo support page.

At the moment the only driver that I have not been able to install has been for the 'PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing' chipset. I have touched base with Lenovo and made them aware of my issue.

Depending on your experience level with regard to installing drivers you may want to try the Lenovo System Update 5 program, which is quite good at identifying required driver updates, downloading these, and installing them, with a few straight forward program screens. This software is installed by default when you restore.

I did notice when attempting to perform Windows updates that there is an updated driver available for the Intel HD graphics (through Microsoft). I say trying because I have had varied success, with anywhere from 2% to 42% of updates downloading...then the update stalls. I honestly believe that the poor update performance is related to an excessive load on the Microsoft Servers due to the release of Windows 10.

If your not able to sort your driver issue with either manual installation, or the System Update 5 program I strongly suggest that you contact Lenovo support directly.

Whilst they were not able to fix my issue they did take note of it, and their engineers will work towards a solution, which serves us all in the long run.

Good luck,

Kind Regards

Davo

InTheSand

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Hi Davo,

Thanks for your comments. I've tried another manual clean install of Windows 10, but with the same results. Whether I install drivers manually, or whether I let the ThinkVantage tool install them for me, I still have the issue where the screen blanks out when pretty much any application is maximised.

Time for Lenovo Support... And if they can't fix it, they can have this unit back... :(

Thanks,

- Ali

TRENDING THREADS