Question Need to upgrade my Music WS and this is what I got... I need expertise...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,

My faithfull and hardworking workstation has stopped working as my Asus P9x79 WS has stopped working. I was hoping to just replace the Mobo, but then I faced the music. No such a thing as a new P9x79 WS board... Some stuff in China. Not even a used one to be found.

My WS is aimed for Music Production...

So, I have to replace the previous CPU, all my RAMs (64GB) 1200 and the MOBO...

I decided on the i9-11900K. Yes! Instead of 9900K Despite as the most music enthusiast did try to convince me otherwise...

For the Mobo, I prefered the Asus Pro WS W480 ACE... I want no Game Mobo and also this is the WS line I enjoyed for so many years, I was happy there was a (1) choice in Ausu line...

For the Ram I ended up liking the Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 3600

I was thinking about Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB DDR4 3600 but they only come in Quad form. My previous built was a Quad Ram system, but I figure with the kind of speed I'm getting, I won't be missing that extra bandwidth...

So I already have a decent Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX — 1200 Watt 80 PLUS PLATINUM (more than enough)

I already a GPU card: Asus Evo GTX 1660 Ti (have more than I need)

I have a huge monster of a case: Cosmos II.

So I will have to get a good, solid Cooler. The noize is not an issue for me. As I have the WS in next room...

And now, I suppose all I need is your advice and some amount of luck...

cheers

Last edited:

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
So, how about another nuisance. I went to corsair.com and checked the compatibility list there for ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO... There is no Ramset for 128GB for it !?! What the hell?

I opened a ticket since I am a customer. Not that anything assuring will come out of it...

Hope to buy everything in two days. That' my window! And I'm feeling very gloomy...

------------------

I give up! There is only one 3200GHz 4x32 128GB Ram set in Asus qvl list and that is G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-128GTZN

However on the G.Skill qvl list for the Asus card, that particular Ram set doesn't come up!?

Corsair qvl list doesn't have anything for Asus card in 3200GHz 4x32 128GB either... What's going on?

I don't get it! I really don't! Is it me? Am I beeping this out?

I suppose I just have to settle for a 2666MHz set then! I have a chip that provides 3200MHz the cards are advertising 3200MHz in 4x configuration, but I have to go with 2666MHz! Redundant!
Or go with 10-12 core 10th Gen CPU! Just weird!

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
@Zerk2012 I don't get it? That's your input?: "2 threads." Really ??? = !

You have a nice rig tough... Is that a game rig?
This was my input in your other post when you start making more than one post for the same thing you miss things and makes it more confusing for people to try to help you. (most of the times the mods will merge the 2 post into 1)

I guess 10900K or 11900K. You need a high end cooler for either.
For the board I would get one with heatsinks on the Vram. Tip their no gaming motherboards it's just a marketing thing.

Your spending a bunch on memory buy it from the motherboards QVL just to make sure. In a single pack of 4 sticks.

Depends on the age of the power supply if I would reuse it

Reactions: cemster

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
" you miss things and makes it more confusing for people to try to help you "

I totally understand and agree in fact it made it difficult for me... It just that, I was already warned about it like in the first reply and I replaced the post right away with what's there now by telling it as it is, which can even be seen in your post as a quote... So, I didn't get the point. But this last post you made was helpful as you seem to support my choice :) and reminding me about the necessity of an effective Heatsink for Vram...
I appreciate...

So... Finally, I can end the thread with this conclusion...

I received a reply from Corsair. They suggest these two sets:
Which are two of the Corsair sets that were just recently added to the Asus QVL list...

VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit – Black
$949.99
VENGEANCE® LPX 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black
$844.99

I will go with LPX...

I thank you for all the inputs you provided. It made my learning curve very gentle...
Especially lots of appreciation @ geofelt

Last edited: