Need upgradeing advice

inf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hi all,
I want to upgrade my pc im not sure which parts to upgrade though i have a few choices.
I can buy a gtx570 right nowor Buy a amd phenom 955 right now and then get a gtx 570 in amonth or two, or i could upgrade my mother board and cpu to a p67 and sandybridge set up but then i wont be able to get the 570 for some time or i could just buy nothing right now and wait for the upcoming HD7000 series,GTX600,Bulldozercpu and the ivybridge and make my decision then. Thanks look forward to your help.

(P.S i was curious if i got the amd phenomII 955 X4 cpu would i be able to overclock it well cuz my current processor i cant clock it over 3.4ghz stable)

SPECS:
Amd athlon II x3 3.1ghz (unclocked to 4 cores and overclocked to 3.4ghz)
Gigabyte Gtx460 SOC (and overclocked again by me to 915 coreclock 1630 shaderclock)
Asrock M3A770DE+ amd mobo
4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 ram
600 Watt BeQuiet Psu
Haf922 case
CM Hyper 212 Plus Cpu Cooler

(Ill reward best answer with the best answer)

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Well the GTX 570 will no doubt give you better performance in terms of gaming.

However I think a motherboard and CPU upgrade could be well worthwhile as well.

Upgrading to an i5-2500k and a 1155 motherboard (something like ASRocks new GEN3) leaves a nice solid build and future upgrade path.

HOWEVER.....I'm not sure this will provide all that much more performance than your current set up since your running 4 cores at 3.4GHz anyway.

Tough decision, but I think if it was me, id probably slam a new GPU in there first :) As far as im aware a 650w PSU is recommended for a GTX570. As long as your current PSU is good quality (80PLUS rated Bronze or better) you SHOULD be ok - which from what I remember it is a very good quality PSU with some good reviews.

michxymi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
As I check here your motherboard supports DDR2 memory and you said you 're using DDR3 Corsair Vengeance.. Was that a mistake or something?

Start by selling your Triple Core and GTX 460 at decent price to a poor man :)

Then get a Phenom II X4 955 which is supported by your motherboard as you can see here. It's a great CPU for it's money and overclock really good. Have mine at 4GHz stable, although I've got a 990FX motherboard, but i'm pretty sure it can go to 3,7 - 4,0 GHz with your motherboard too.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

For GPU I would go for a 6950 1GB. Great perfomance/price ratio, low power consumption and temperatures...your PSU seems that can handle this but give us more information about it..(model etc)

XFX HD-695X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150524

And finally a good aftermarket heatsink. It's the one I have and i'm very happy with it!

Scythe SCMG-3000 120mm Heat Pipe CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185168

419$ plus 30$ MIR

rvilkman

Distinguished
Getting a new video card is the way to go IF you need to upgrade now. You really won't get much performance out of a CPU upgrade, since as listed you are running with 4 cores already anyway. The cache on the Phenom II x4 would help a little bit, but the difference would be really small and not worth the $120.

If you decide to go with the upgrade right now:
AMD 6950 or Nvidia 560Ti would be the way to go, both work fine with the 600W PSU. At the cost of about $210-230, providing you with great performance at 1920x1080.
Thus unless you have multiple diplays very little reason to spend the extra $80. 560Ti when OC'd should provide about 30% increase in performance.

If you can live with the current GPU performance wait a bit, bulldozer should be out soon (and ivy bridge in the spring). The new GPU's from AMD should be here in november as well.

Overall it would be an ok time to upgrade to a i5 2500k / Z68 / 8GB / 560Ti build, but the cost of that upgrade is about $700 or so.
Slightly more if you also need to upgrade storage.

Personally with that machine I would rough it out and wait for Ivy bridge and then do a rebuild including an SSD.
And collect money in the meantime for it.

I wouldn't spend a nickle on that system. You were headed in the right direction with the new p67 mobo and processor. THAT will give you the best performance upgrade over what you have. It's September now. Start gathering your parts. By the time the new 7000 series graphics cards come out ( 5 months ? ) you'll be able to put together a "high" end system that will last for years.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Same thought's I had, setting yourself up with a nice SandyBridge/"Ivybridge ready" motherboard which you can add to and change components for the next few years is a great path to be on.

And as mentioned when the time is right and budget allows, you can add a new series GPU in there, either 7000 Series ATI or 600 Series Nvidia.

However in terms of instant performance, this is more a long-term solution rather than short term solution.

inf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

2/ the resolution of your monitor .
Ihave a 32inch 1080p tv hooked up via hdmi to my pc and i wont be useing multiple screens just this one.

My psu is a Bequiet Straight power BQT E7 600W it has 4x18amps on the 12v line and it is 80+ bronze.

Im thinking with bulldozer coming up ill wait and see which is beter between sandybridge and bullddozer for bang for your buck(my bets on Sandybridge). Thanks for the post guys more advice welcome.

"bump" == ok, here's another opinion.

You can't upgrade your CPU in that MB and get any reasonable value. So don't do it.

You can upgrade your video and see a difference, but not a huge one at 1080p. A GTX460 is pretty nice even before the OC. But if you have a favorite game that is a GPU hog then google it, find out which video card it likes best (nVidia or ATI/AMD) then upgrade video.... Your MB supports CrossFireX not SLI, so no pair of 460s for you and you should be on a new MB long before you'd crossfire an ATI card on this board, so no bias toward either AMD or nVidia. Maybe look at a GTX570 or HD 6950 to get enough of a pop that you can really see a difference. (But I'd just keep the 460)

inf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

I wouldnt go crossfire on my mb any way its only 16x4 lane -.- not 8x8. Also id never run gtx460 in sli dont wanna put up with all the agro of sli micro sutter and some games not suporting sli. If i was gona go with a 2 card set up would be hd6870 cross fire and i was looking at a gtx570 to begin with look at my first post. Thx for the post Im gona go with upgradeing mb and cpu after bulldozer comes out. When is it supose to come out exactly ?