Question Need urgent help with PSU wattage. ( not calculating )

Dec 14, 2019
I run a i5-9400F

2060 6 gb

16 gb of ram

a HDD and SSD along with keyboard, mouse, headset, monitor and 3 fans (excluding the CPU fan).

My power supply unit is 350W. When i game, it uses near 100% and sometimes even 100%. I've already bought a new one that will work with my system but it will come in two weeks time. What do i risk by still using my PSU till then?

bioax

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
350W is way too low for your system, and I would recommend at least 600W. I’m not an expert on PSUs, and my recommendation may also be too low. All I know is that it is way too low.
You should just not use the computer until your new psu arrives.

mangaman

Honorable
What PSU did you buy as a replacement?

Also, if the 350w PSU is a low quality brand or some cheap Chinese one, running it at 100% will most likely fry itself along with taking out your entire system all together. Even just using a low quality PSU can fry your entire system.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A system with a RTX 2060 needs at least a (good quality) 480W PSU, maybe more depending on exactly which RTX you have. If your 350W is a decent make/model, you can get by in the meantime as long as you don't use the gfx card under heavy load (such as gaming). I would get at least a 550W unit myself.

I run a i5-9400F

2060 6 gb

16 gb of ram

a HDD and SSD along with keyboard, mouse, headset, monitor and 3 fans (excluding the CPU fan).

My power supply unit is 350W. When i game, it uses near 100% and sometimes even 100%. I've already bought a new one that will work with my system but it will come in two weeks time. What do i risk by still using my PSU till then?
350w is nowhere near enough for that combo, even if it is a decent PSU. I also assume you are using a MOLEX to PCIe or SATA to PCIe adapter, which are very very damage.

You risk every component in your PSU, and every device plugged into your PC (like a cellphone)
If a PSU fails due to overload or otherwise, anything downstream can be damaged.

I suggest you wait until your new PSU arrives.
I dont know much about that unit, but i bet its much, much better than a 350w unit.

TRENDING THREADS