[SOLVED] Need Your 2 Mins - Please Stop By

hashim1991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
Guys, I am trying to install windows 10 on SSD which i bought recently. I am enable to install the Windows but during startup, it first stuck on configuration then i used OOBE command to bypass it. Then it got stuck on just a moment thing loop then restart.

Am i doing something wrong here ? Can we use 2 windows 10 on one PC ? I just want to use my SSD to boot operating system. Kindly help me. Right now i am using my HDD for operating system.

Solution
I agree, 128GB of SSD is too small. You may want to consider getting a 256GB SSD first and use that instead to install Windows 10 on it (My Windows 10 install uses about 155GB)
Anyhow here's a guide on how to reinstall Windows 10

1.) Back up all of your files first to an external hard disk drive, usb, etc. before proceeding.

2.) Make a bootable USB Windows 10 Flash drive with rufus program. The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool program will create the Windows 10.iso needed to be placed onto your bootable USB.

Download rufus here:

Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Follow the guide here:
View...

USAFRet

Titan
Guys, I am trying to install windows 10 on SSD which i bought recently. I am enable to install the Windows but during startup, it first stuck on configuration then i used OOBE command to bypass it. Then it got stuck on just a moment thing loop then restart.

Am i doing something wrong here ? Can we use 2 windows 10 on one PC ? I just want to use my SSD to boot operating system. Kindly help me. Right now i am using my HDD for operating system.
Unless you have a real need for a dual boot thing, you want only ONE OS in the system.
And you can't install to one drive, use that to boot from, and still use the applications existing in the other drive and OS.

There are a couple of ways around your situation, depending on exactly what you are looking to do.

So....inform us.

USAFRet

Titan
after you Install the Windows to the ssd, set the boot order into ssd as boot priority number 1, then go to disk management, delete the previous partition that contains windows on the hard drive.
That is not NEARLY good enough.

If this new OS is installed with the first drive still in there, the boot partitions will be merged.
Remove the HDD, and the OS on the SSD will fail to boot.

So, let's find out what he's actually trying to do, before setting him on a particular path.

If this new OS is installed with the first drive still in there, the boot partitions will be merged.
Remove the HDD, and the OS on the SSD will fail to boot.
TL;DR: if you already Installed the OS on the SSD and could get onto windows, delete the partition that contain windows on your hard drive.

Well on my experience on reinstalling windows many times, you could delete the partition that have windows from the old drive, well if you did split the partition (2 partitions on 1 hdd, 1 for os 1 for data), wether using diskpart, or on windows installation using custom selection and delete that partition, or when you already installed windows and delete it using disk management.

also it would boot just fine, since what op said is wanting to install and use OS on the ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
TL;DR: if you already Installed the OS on the SSD and could get onto windows, delete the partition that contain windows on your hard drive.

Well on my experience on reinstalling windows many times, you could delete the partition that have windows from the old drive, well if you did split the partition (2 partitions on 1 hdd, 1 for os 1 for data), wether using diskpart, or on windows installation using custom selection and delete that partition, or when you already installed windows and delete it using disk management.

also it would boot just fine, since what op said is wanting to install and use OS on the ssd.
Situation:
OS is installed on the HDD

Later:
Install the OS on the SSD, with the HDD still connected.

Result:
A dualboot situation. The boot info from the new OS is merged with the already existing partition on the HDD.

Further result:
Remove the HDD (or it dies) and no boot for you.

Sure, you can just delete the HDD partition containing the old Windows.
And that still leaves behind the messed up boot partition.
Could that be fixed? Yes, but better to prevent it happening to start with.

AND, in this case, you have the OS on a tiny 128GB SSD.

A dualboot situation. The boot info from the new OS is merged with the already existing partition on the HDD.
i never ecountered a dual boot situation like this. i set the boot on SSD and it went ok, then delete the partition that have windows on my hdd, and merge it with my data partition, work really flawlessly and it works everytime, i tested this on both Legacy and UEFI bios mode. My Motherboard is GA B75M HD3, is this something that don't happen usually? I understand what's dualboot and your point but to me it never happened many times as much as i reinstall windows for testing purposes.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, it happens.
A LOT.

Read the first part of this:

well then its a really fortunate of me that never went into that situation :tearsofjoy:

i always delete the partition that contains the windows file and system reserved when reinstalling windows on another drive, so that it wouldn't make any collateral issues

Best way is to only have the drive you want Windows on installed when running the installer, otherwise Windows puts files on any other disks and when one of those disks fails or is removed, as @USAFRet says, the system will not boot.

hashim1991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
In short it's complicated to run two windows on a single system? Actually what i want is to have 2 windows installed on system at the same time. I don't wanna lose the data from Previous Window installed on my HDD. Well i think i need to format my old windows and had to run just one OS on the system. Is that what you all are suggesting ?

hashim1991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
Unless you have a real need for a dual boot thing, you want only ONE OS in the system.
And you can't install to one drive, use that to boot from, and still use the applications existing in the other drive and OS.

There are a couple of ways around your situation, depending on exactly what you are looking to do.

So....inform us.

See i wanted to restored my previous windows on HDD and want to install new one on SSD to take advantage of the drive. If i set boot priory to SSD during startup, will it fix this problem ?

hashim1991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
And the new OS on the SSD will do nothing for that.

There is lazy and broken, and then there is correct.
Which do you want?

Ok fine, please guide me now how to install fresh OS on SSD and format the old one to avoid overlapping.

What do you mean are SSD not speed up system ? Meaning installing windows on SSD is waste ?

In short it's complicated to run two windows on a single system?

And to add to the complication of having 2 Operating systems in a dual boot configuration...
If your Windows 10 updates for any reason, it CAN screw up your boot loader and cause your system to be unbootable. You have to make sure that Windows updates are disabled. Windows Updates is notorious for screwing up dual boot configurations.

Learned this while I was reading up on how to dual boot my Windows and Linux on a HDD.

I would agree, trying to install 2 versions/instances of Windows 10 is technically possible, but its really asking for more trouble than its worth. And you need to have licenses activated for both.

installing windows on SSD is waste ?
Its never a waste to install your boot OS to a SSD. It makes it run faster.

Back up your files first before reformatting and installing fresh OS to SSD.

hashim1991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
And to add to the complication of having 2 Operating systems in a dual boot configuration...
If your Windows 10 updates for any reason, it CAN screw up your boot loader and cause your system to be unbootable. You have to make sure that Windows updates are disabled. Windows Updates is notorious for screwing up dual boot configurations.

Learned this while I was reading up on how to dual boot my Windows and Linux on a HDD.

I would agree, trying to install 2 versions/instances of Windows 10 is technically possible, but its really asking for more trouble than its worth. And you need to have licenses activated for both.

Its never a waste to install your boot OS to a SSD. It makes it run faster.

Back up your files first before reformatting and installing fresh OS to SSD.

Please guide me how to install fresh OS on my SSD while formating the old one at the same time ?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok fine, please guide me now how to install fresh OS on SSD and format the old one to avoid overlapping.

What do you mean are SSD not speed up system ? Meaning installing windows on SSD is waste ?
No, having the OS and applications on the SSD is NOT a waste. It is one of the best things you can do.
Maybe.

However, a 128GB SSD is rather small.

How much space is consumed on your current HDD?

I agree, 128GB of SSD is too small. You may want to consider getting a 256GB SSD first and use that instead to install Windows 10 on it (My Windows 10 install uses about 155GB)
Anyhow here's a guide on how to reinstall Windows 10

1.) Back up all of your files first to an external hard disk drive, usb, etc. before proceeding.

2.) Make a bootable USB Windows 10 Flash drive with rufus program. The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool program will create the Windows 10.iso needed to be placed onto your bootable USB.

Download rufus here:

Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Follow the guide here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R70GchcnWpA

3.) Once you have made sure you are done backing up all the files you need, it is time to reformat your PC.
Plug in the USB Flash drive to your computer

Go to your BIOS (Spam del key while your system is booting)
Set the boot order to your USB
Windows 10 setup screen will show up, follow the video below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s22RsJCDfCU

Solution

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020

Did you turn off secure boot in the BIOS before installing windows?

If you did,
The simple solution to your problem:

Remove the HDD and boot with the SSD.

Then shut down and connect the HDD.

If it boots with the SSD, then delete the windows on the HDD.

If it still boots with the HDD, change the boot priority to the SSD in the bios. Alternatively, you can use the boot menu to boot to the SSD.