[SOLVED] Need your opinion on this prebuilt ?

Jan 23, 2021
Ok so today I was looking on Best Buy and found a IBuyPower- Gaming desktop Intel i5-10400f - 8gb memory- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - 4gb -240gb ssd + 1 TB HDD , pc and was wondering would this pc stream and game at 1080p and 60fps with no frame loss ?

Solution
IBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop - Best Buy
If this is the PC you're looking at purchasing, I would say run away very fast.

1. It's a pre-built. This means they use the cheapest components they can find, so long as it works.
  2. It's an IBUYPOWER system. These are notoriously bad systems. They only positive here is that you're getting it from Best Buy. If something goes wrong, you can take it back (assuming there is one close to you and you're not purchasing it online).
  3. Either the images or the specifications are incorrect. The image of the interior shows four RAM slots but the specs state only two.
  4. The 8GB of RAM is a single module. DDR4 RAM is notoriously fickle when it comes to adding RAM. If you want/need to go to 16GB or...

Wolfshadw

Titan

1. It's a pre-built. This means they use the cheapest components they can find, so long as it works.
  2. It's an IBUYPOWER system. These are notoriously bad systems. They only positive here is that you're getting it from Best Buy. If something goes wrong, you can take it back (assuming there is one close to you and you're not purchasing it online).
  3. Either the images or the specifications are incorrect. The image of the interior shows four RAM slots but the specs state only two.
  4. The 8GB of RAM is a single module. DDR4 RAM is notoriously fickle when it comes to adding RAM. If you want/need to go to 16GB or more, you will likely need to replace the existing RAM.
  5. There is no telling what power supply is installed in this system. Any upgrade at all could mean a need to replace the power supply (which you'd likely want to do anyway).
  6. The SSD is too small. You'd want at least 500GB in an SSD.
  7. For a new PC, it has an old graphics card. Functional, but old. Whether or not it can meet your requirements depends on what games, but if you're playing newer games, you're going to want to replace the graphics card as well.
Yes, it costs more to do so, but you REALLY want to build your own PC, using recommended components as suggested by experienced builders.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Jan 23, 2021

4. The 8GB of RAM is a single module. DDR4 RAM is notoriously fickle when it comes to adding RAM. If you want/need to go to 16GB or more, you will likely need to replace the existing RAM.
  5. There is no telling what power supply is installed in this system. Any upgrade at all could mean a need to replace the power supply (which you'd likely want to do anyway).
  6. The SSD is too small. You'd want at least 500GB in an SSD.
  7. For a new PC, it has an old graphics card. Functional, but old. Whether or not it can meet your requirements depends on what games, but if you're playing newer games, you're going to want to replace the graphics card as well.
Yes, it costs more to do so, but you REALLY want to build your own PC, using recommended components as suggested by experienced builders.

-Wolf sends
Ay man I appreciate that I didn’t look at it that close , I was talking to alot if people and they were telling me that this is not a good time to be building a pc cuz parts are so high

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ay man I appreciate that I didn’t look at it that close , I was talking to alot if people and they were telling me that this is not a good time to be building a pc cuz parts are so high
That's true. Newer and higher-end components are hard to find and I wouldn't recommend paying the stupid prices other people are paying just to get them. Depending on budget, I'd probably start with something along these lines:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($155.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B460M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2800 CL15 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card ($379.96 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec VSK3000E U3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $874.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-28 12:30 EST-0500

-Wolf sends

D

Deleted member 2838871

people and they were telling me that this is not a good time to be building a pc cuz parts are so high

It can be done with a little patience... I got my GPU with a lucky BB order in early November... ordered the rest of the parts throughout November (Black Friday sales) and early December and then with slow holiday shipping I finally got all the parts in hand and built the PC on December 20th.

I went with Intel over AMD due to better pricing and availability and didn't pay any scalper tax... and I ordered premium components. You may have a speedier time now with the holiday rush over and if you order lesser hardware.

Reactions: Why_Me