Needing advice about 144hz Monitors

CrawTVonPC

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
im planning to use it for console gaming, until i have enough for this build, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VXDRwP , iv been looking on amazon and have seen a few for around 250+, my question is what brands are good, what brands should i stay away from? and im rather inexperienced but has anyone used a monitor for gaming? and what are they're pros and cons?

Tesla_Whizz

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Brands wise, you have Asus, LG and BenQ seem good. Unsure about AOC and Dell use this annoying matte stuff on their panels.
The 144hz monitor prevent motion blur which you would normally see in a 60Hz monitor because there is a faster refresh rate.
Response time is needed to be taken into account. Time for each pixel to change. Anything below 8ms is good for gaming.
Most 144hz monitors are 1080p so you would want to get a 24" and nothing bigger because there is a higher ppi. To me, in the 27" 1080p monitors you can see the pixels and it a bit of headache. But that could be me. 24inch monitor would seem sharper.

CrawTVonPC

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

thanks so much for all the great advice, i have a few more questions, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER whats your opinion on this 24 in LED asus? also what does this mean, "Lower monitor latency gives a gamer the opportunity to improve their in-game response time."

indy17

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Lower monitor latency = lower response time = faster pixel change (what Tesla said). :)
As for the whole phrase, it is a marketing thing. The good response time is better to the eye, but a human being isn`t capable of sensing the difference in quicker mouse pressing during the extra 2-4 ms (the time window is way too small)

Tesla_Whizz

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

The term latency refers to any of several kinds of delays typically incurred in processing of network data. A so-called low latency network connection is one that generally experiences small delay times allowing a faster response time of 1ms. This then allows the gamer to respond quick and kick some butt. :)
The LED Asus seems great. It is 144Hz as you wanted, fast response time of 1ms and incorporates 3D technology from Nvidia in case you wanted to go 3D. It's good and the price is right.

Tesla_Whizz

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

I agree with you, your eye simply cannot process the difference between 1ms and 5ms even. But if it were 1ms and 10ms then you can. Another thing big corps can exaggerate about and pull the unknowing buyers in.