Neither Windows 10 or 7 will read data from salvaged laptop solid state drive from HDD enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

twayneking

Reputable
Dec 13, 2017
My Windows 7 Lenovo T410s laptop screen was killed. I salvaged the solid state Toshiba HDD from it, put it into an enclosure and plugged it into both my Dell Optiplex 780 W10 desktop and my Lenovo T410 Windows 7 laptop. Got the same result. Both see the drive. They see that there is data on the drive, but neither will read the data. All they show is that the folder is empty. If I go to properties, it shows both used space and free space on the disk, so I know the data is still there. It just won't read the data and there are some things I'd like to salvage off the drive.

Screenshot%203_zps0ajfjcc1.png

Anybody have any idea why the system won't read the data? I've pulled disks with operating systems from old laptops before and never had any trouble. The only thing different here is that the drive is solid state and the system on the drive is Window 7. I've never put anything newer than an XP disk-based hard drive on an HDD enclosure before. Is it possibly a security thing of is it the solid state drive itself that's balking?

If so, how do I get around whatever is blocking access to my data?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom King

Solution
Windows might be the problem. Can you download a Puppy Linux ISO and create a USB and a DVD boot? Perhaps the PL's file manager can pull off the data and copy same onto your computer's internal HD.

twayneking

Reputable
Dec 13, 2017

I'd have to buy another T410s to do that. I bought an enclosure designed for a solid state hard drive. I could probably format the disk and do just fine, but I'd like to keep the data if I can.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.