Netgear Intros Dual-Band 450Mbps Router, NeoTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Netgear's new router doesn't seem like anything special. But it's going to be the wireless performance where it matters. Never been to keen on internal antenna solutions, but if it's implemented right, they can work very well. Need better routers out there with better 5 GHz Wireless N that aren't spotty.

As for the NeoTV, I see these kinds of devices slowing going away with TV makers incorporating these services in to more and more TVs, while not costing an arm and a leg. Usually only see TVs with "apps" in the higher price range. But devices like the NeoTV are a very cost effective way to add streaming services to your TV if you don't own a game console or internet Blu-Ray player.

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]But does it play Crysis?[/citation]
better don't comment anything if you think all networking devices are just for games. such a lame.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Too expensive for a product targeted at a home user.

To benefit from it's extra speed, you need you buy equally expensive wifi cards to connect at those speeds..

For that price, you can just use run some cat 6 and get your self a more consistent and reliable gigabit network, and a cheaper N300 router (which can handle multiple HD streams) for the devices where you want to have wireless.

I have gone to customer homes to repair their computers and see them with routers such as the wndr 3700 and the only wireless device they have is a laptop that only does 802.11g and a kindle wifi. (sadly the main people who end up with these overpriced routers are the ones heading to a store like bestbuy and asking for something that will make their internet faster (and the ignorant worker talks them into getting the most expensive router they have)

PS I agree that this is a really nice router.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
NeoTV now comes the lawsuit from NeoBurn!

Net gear is a little late with the NeoTV I just ordered Logitech's GoogleTV and it come with remote key board for $99.99 & free shipping. it dose all then same thing as NeoTV also! My Brother has GoogleTV and it is Awesome. So I had to get it too - not to be out done by my Bro.....LOL

I can't wait to get, then I can disconnect the PC I have hooked to my TV for Netflix.

as for the router I think it is a good price compared to other dual band router with less fetchers.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Do not you need a three antenna wireless NIC to get 450 Mbs? Intel has two available and Trendnet has one. It apears Netgear does not have one.

mavroxur

Distinguished
And for $179, i'm betting it will perform just like all the other 450Mbit wireless devices out there..... Somewhere around 145Mbit if you have to even pass through one wall.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
What is the deal with these manufacturers marketing their products as N900 speed instead it does 450 max per band?

Really misleading, I think they should knock off that kind of marketing tactics.

One more complaint if Netgear and others releases a dual band 450 router they should also have a dual band wireless adapter as well otherwise they have a incomplete product.

Well I won't be buying it unless they get the adapter that goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.