Netgear Intros ''World's First'' 802.11ac Wi-Fi Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hopefully someone can test the range and see if it actually performs as advertised and not like the current crop of routers that advertise n900 speeds but only do like 80mbit in a base case scenario

eg look at the reviews on http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-charts/view

and look at their reviews of the n900 routers, you will see that none of them offer anything closed to advertised performance, n900 is beaten by 100mbit ethernet in almost all cases.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
For a one-time cost of ~$200, I'll get up to 3x faster internet speeds? And here TWC wanted to charge me $19.95 / month...

Just being picky, but come on David Henry. The only people who are going to experience faster internet speeds are the ones who are connected with FiOS at 100mbit or better. For the rest of us, WiFi probably isn't the bottleneck.

I'd like to see how this thing performs with:
- neighbors with 802.11a or 5 GHz-band 802.11n
- multiple devices (such as the TVs, laptops and other devices they mention... all active at the same time)
- physical barriers, such as floors and walls

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Would be interested in seeing how it handles a congested wifi environment.

Modern routers seem to use a interference policy which drops the connection from 40MHz to 20MHz when other wifi networks are detected.

In my area, there are 22 wifi networks with signals strong enough for me to connect to and about 70 total that come up if you leave inssider running for about 2 minutes

Because of the neighbor crap policy, i am stuck using a modern N router for wired connections and an older N router for wifi because the older one will actually use the full 300 mbit rate which offers around 60+ mbit/s real world performance.

inerax

Distinguished
The Netgear R6300 WiFi Router has speeds of up to 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz and 450 Mbps on 2.4GHz enabling consumers to download web content from any device in the home in a fraction of the time it would take on a similar 802.11n device."

Most people do not have internet connections that can get anywhere close to this speed.

I have 30mbps internet.... This would not help me download from the web any faster.

noobs.

funguseater

Distinguished
I believe they are talking about transfering ALREADY downloaded content between devices in your house (NAS I'm thinkin) 1300Mbps on my home network would be amazing. This sounds perfect for my media/game servers and the LAN.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Would be interested in seeing how it handles a congested wifi environment.Modern routers seem to use a interference policy which drops the connection from 40MHz to 20MHz when other wifi networks are detected.In my area, there are 22 wifi networks with signals strong enough for me to connect to and about 70 total that come up if you leave inssider running for about 2 minutesBecause of the neighbor crap policy, i am stuck using a modern N router for wired connections and an older N router for wifi because the older one will actually use the full 300 mbit rate which offers around 60+ mbit/s real world performance.[/citation]

I feel your pain.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Out of curiousity, do these new models support faster wired Ethernet or is there absolutely no reason to upgrade from Wireless G if you are using wired Ethernet?

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I don't care i just bought a linksys e1200 wirless N router on newegg for 20 bucks and it does more then i need it to do for web surfing. Besides that all my wireless devices are in from my laptop to my xbox 360. So i wouldn't see any benifit from ac not like i would notice anyhow.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Out of curiousity, do these new models support faster wired Ethernet or is there absolutely no reason to upgrade from Wireless G if you are using wired Ethernet?[/citation]

I guess that depends on whether or not your Wireless G router is 10/100 Ethernet or 10/100/1000 as the ones in the article is. Right now there is some controversy (especially with Linksys E-Series) where the 1gigE ports are limited to an artificial 250Mbps. Netgear tends to be more solid in almost being able to reach the max while the Linksys ones are limited in throughput in order to boost the effeciency of the Wireless part of the router. Makes sense, but it's still bullshit to advertise a port that is expected to perform to 1gigE levels and secretly you're locking the router to never allow anything close to that in a networking environment

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]I look forward to benchmarks.[/citation]
...from someone that has Verizon FiOS or some other form of Fiber Optic, or Google's dark fiber.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
At what point can we start dropping the advertised "a/b/g/n/ac" compatible tag? 2 or 3 standards from now, it'll get a little ridiculous...

G

Will this "future proof" in the same way 802.11n did? (ie- no such thing in tech)

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
And I'm betting they'll come out with a model that's got DSL built in as well. The DGND3700 gets toasty already with both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios operating at the same time. I wish Netgear would do something about the overheating issues with their modem routers.

I'm waiting patiently for this one!
I live in an older house that has a lot of brick and plaster. As a stop gap measure I have routed all of my ethernet cables through the HVAC system, and with this I could finally do it right... I just need the price to come down to ~$100 or so.

My old wireless G router has worked pretty well for the last 7 years. I can only hope that an AC device will last as long!

LordConrad

Distinguished
"In addition to the speedier Internet access..."

Considering that most people in the U.S. have less than a 10Mbps internet connection, exactly how will this router affect anything other than an internal network???

Marketing departments don't know crap about technology.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Most people don't have the storage hardware needed to saturate a even wired gigabit connection, let alone at >1Gb wireless connection. HD media for today's TV doesn't exceed 96Mb/s in bitrate, and that's the really really high end stuff. Majority of HD content is something like 24Mb/s? Streaming media isn't a reason at all to upgrade over 802.11n. More than that, 5GHz has a noticeably shorter range than 2.4GHz, if it only operates full speed on that band, it's not gonna go far.

Status
Not open for further replies.