[SOLVED] Netgear R7800 Nighthawk Overclock

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi I was Thinking about Purchasing the Nighthawk r7800 Router by Netgear. I have the R7000p but I'm unhappy with it's performance even on a wired connection. I want to overclock The r7800. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the maximum is that I could overclock the R7800 too. I have the r7000p but like I said I'm unhappy with it's performance and speed. I'm on Gigabyte speeds with Comcast I pay 110 dollars a month with comcast. Anyways. I have the r7000p overclocked to 1200,533 or the second numbers might be 550. but it's 1200 from 1000, by 533 or 550. The Router before the r7000p was Just the R7000 and I bricked it Unfortunately. I watched a youtube video and the guy said Going to 1400 you do it at your own risk so I did it and I ended up bricking it. I know Stupid!! But I just want to make sure that doesn't happen this time. So I would Like to speak to the people in the know like you guys on here. That can tell me the exact maximum that I should overclock it too and not to go any further.

Thank you!!

Regards

Kinnyr90

Solution
If you're dead set on overclocking that router, then good luck on fixing your issue because you're not going to be anywhere closer to fixing it. You're ignoring all the normal troubleshooting.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Well it just isn't giving me the speed that I thought it would give me The router I have. It's slow . Throughput getting into websites and stuff Like that running videos on youtube not my own there's a lot of buffering. And that's not the case when I run a straight modem connection. On my desktop computer And I get faster speeds. I'm not sure if overclocking the r7800 router will make a difference either way but I would Like to try. I can't seem to find a youtube video on it but I will keep looking . Thank you for youre suggestions.

Is it just one particular system you're having issues with? Or is it all of them? I don't think there's any point in trying to overclock it as it doesn't seem to be the source of the issue. You could end up breaking it and then you'll have more problems.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Is it just one particular system you're having issues with? Or is it all of them? I don't think there's any point in trying to overclock it as it doesn't seem to be the source of the issue. You could end up breaking it and then you'll have more problems.
Okay Well thanks Anyways.. I appreciate your time.

Regards

Kinnyr90

It depends on what function you need. For normal simple nat traffic the cpu clock speed doesn't matter. A cheap $50 router will get close to 1gbit wan/lan because the cpu is not doing the nat any longer. They have not revealed exactly how they do this but the chipset vendors have moved the NAT function off the cpu into the asic part of the device.

Now this is only for simple nat as soon as you do something that needs to see the data like say firewall filter rules the traffic moves back to the cpu and you get a bottleneck. Even very powerful routers will cap out at 250-300mbps. It will drop to say 30mbps if you try to run vpn on a consumer router.

It actually tends to be cheaper to buy a simple 2 ethernet pc even with a rather small cpu. There is a massive difference in performance between intel/amd processors and any router cpu. You would still need some consumer router just to get the fancy wifi. The performance is poor attempting to use internal nic cards in a pc.