Question NETIS router QoS configuration is not giving the expected results ?

Mar 19, 2024
i am using netis DL4323 and i have set up QoS rule to prioritize my phone over the other devices "so when i play my ping doesn't drop massively" but it doesn't seem to work sadly, is there any help on how should i be doing it?

i had the src and des mac set as my phone's mac, the src ip and des ip set as my phone's local ip, DSCP range 18 to 22,

and 802.1P range 2 to 2 and priority to highest

That is because the whole concept of QoS is flawed on a home router. It is something they added to the software that almost does nothing but they can put in in their advertising as a feature for people who only read the titles.

Before you go too far on this idea how fast is your internet connection. You only need QoS if you are using 100% of your bandwidth. What is going on with the other machines that they use all the bandwidth. The simple solution is to buy more bandwidth. Even a 100mbps internet connection is fine for most people and will not overload. If you do game download just limit them to say 75mbps.

The form of QoS your router has is close to worthless.
First things like DSCP markings are removed by the isp equipment and are not used on the internet. A stupid feature to even put on a home router.
Second you can only limit upload traffic with QoS. Download traffic must be done on the ISP router which they won't do. By the time your router gets the traffic it has already used the bandwidth. What home routers do is drop even traffic they received hoping to trick the error detection routines in the pc software into thinking there is less bandwidth.
Third stupid words like low/medium/high have no real meaning. To even think to use any kind of QoS you need a more advanced type the some router have. You need to be able to limit traffic to certain fixed rates.

Bottom line is why are you exceeding your bandwidth to begin with. Since you mention a phone there is no form of QoS that will fix any issues that are related to wifi interference and congestion.

Reactions: lantis3
Mar 19, 2024
NETIS router
That is because the whole concept of QoS is flawed on a home router. It is something they added to the software that almost does nothing but they can put in in their advertising as a feature for people who only read the titles.

Before you go too far on this idea how fast is your internet connection. You only need QoS if you are using 100% of your bandwidth. What is going on with the other machines that they use all the bandwidth. The simple solution is to buy more bandwidth. Even a 100mbps internet connection is fine for most people and will not overload. If you do game download just limit them to say 75mbps.

The form of QoS your router has is close to worthless.
First things like DSCP markings are removed by the isp equipment and are not used on the internet. A stupid feature to even put on a home router.
Second you can only limit upload traffic with QoS. Download traffic must be done on the ISP router which they won't do. By the time your router gets the traffic it has already used the bandwidth. What home routers do is drop even traffic they received hoping to trick the error detection routines in the pc software into thinking there is less bandwidth.
Third stupid words like low/medium/high have no real meaning. To even think to use any kind of QoS you need a more advanced type the some router have. You need to be able to limit traffic to certain fixed rates.

Bottom line is why are you exceeding your bandwidth to begin with. Since you mention a phone there is no form of QoS that will fix any issues that are related to wifi interference and congestion.
i used to have tenda modem that had an option called "bandwidth control" and in there i can list range of IPs and select the upload and download speed for them and it was working fine, but later the modem broke down and i had to buy new one and sadly i couldn't find the same one on the local stores so i got to buy netis,

there was an application i was using when i used to had rooted phone called netcut and it also acted as bandwidth control page, is there any tool i can use that will do the work? "even pc tools i had laptop that i can use to setup stuff" thanks

kanewolf

Titan
NETIS router

i used to have tenda modem that had an option called "bandwidth control" and in there i can list range of IPs and select the upload and download speed for them and it was working fine, but later the modem broke down and i had to buy new one and sadly i couldn't find the same one on the local stores so i got to buy netis,

there was an application i was using when i used to had rooted phone called netcut and it also acted as bandwidth control page, is there any tool i can use that will do the work? "even pc tools i had laptop that i can use to setup stuff" thanks
You didn't answer @bill001g basic question. What is your upload bandwidth? QOS will only prioritize traffic if the output pipeline is full. If you are using 1Mb upload on a 100Mb upload WAN bandwidth, then QOS won't do anything significant. The router can send data as fast as it can.
QOS won't do anything to prioritize WIFI. Your phone is still competing with all other WIFI devices.

Reactions: lantis3
When you talk about using some hack tool like netcut why don't you just go over and actually cut the ethernet cable on the other machine. This would imply that you can't get a agreement between other people in your house about internet usage. QoS does not magically solve the issue of lack of bandwidth and if you were to say have exclusive control of the router and were to limit my bandwidth I would smash the router and we would BOTH have zero bandwidth :)

Mar 19, 2024
When you talk about using some hack tool like netcut why don't you just go over and actually cut the ethernet cable on the other machine. This would imply that you can't get a agreement between other people in your house about internet usage. QoS does not magically solve the issue of lack of bandwidth and if you were to say have exclusive control of the router and were to limit my bandwidth I would smash the router and we would BOTH have zero bandwidth :)
HAHAHAH maybe one day