Netscape Founder Helping to Make New Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
When the choice was between IE4 and Netscape, you had to use netscape. I remember my first laptop (Compaq Presario) actualy came with Netscape 4.8 installed, which seemed odd since it already had IE4 too (oh, to be young and naive again).

It will be interesting to see if this new browser makes it to market, and if it gets the same hype Firefox did. Chrome didn't do so well for Google.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Well, I still have a functioning Netscape 7.2 working on my laptop, although I use Chrome 2.x for most everything except when I need to use IE because a site requires it. Chrome is so much faster than IE, I never really liked Firefox, even though essentially it grew out of the embers of Netscape.

G

LOL, I remember when monster was known as careerbridge, and it didn't work with Ie3, only NS3

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Anything that helps reduce the market share of IE. Its not that I care what people use as it is their preference, I don't like the idea of using market share as an excuse to blatantly disregard web standards.

G

I loved Firefox, until I used Chrome. Chrome smokes all other browsers when it comes to speed--its a perfect example of less is MORE.

blackbyron

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I'm very impressive on the performance of netscape browser back in 1997 when I was 7 years old. It was great for the Netscape founder to be back.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
A new browser could actually make things worse for the little guys. I already know web developers that test things only for firefox and IE, or even really lazy ones that test just for IE. With may browsers in the race ppl like this will have a real excuse not to overwork.
I hate it when pages do appear different on browsers, being as little as some font size, because that means much more stuff in the background goes unnoticed.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Screw all these browsers, I'm a long-time developer and don't even test in FireFox most of the time, too busy. Their needs to be a standard rendering engine that's SHARED by ALL browers, so no matter what sites look the same in each browser even if there are 50 of them. That way people could use whatever browser they want and the features they come with but the html would be the same on each. The W3C or whatever could manage the rendering engine development and push the releases out to browser manufacturers.

Doesn't this make so much sense? Even email software, phones, applicances could share the same rending engine ensuring what designers build looks perfect everywhere. Think of the time and cost savings around the world to have a single source for rendering web content! From the designers, developers, people building these browsers, the various rending engines out there now, etc....many MILLIONS of dollars easily would be saved each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.