[SOLVED] Network Adapter & LAN Connection not working, no drivers/can't install (Intel (R) Adapter not present in this computer)

Poppy Withers

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
Hi all,

I've been having a whirlwind of a time with my computer over the past 36 hours. I recently upgraded all aspects of my PC except for my graphics card and purchased the Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Pro AX - I didn't fresh install when I got my new parts as I was going to do it at a later date and never got around to it. The only issue that ever seemed to arise was that sometimes my ethernet port would be a bit temperamental, it would sometimes work and sometimes it wouldn't. Usually restarting my computer or disabling the connection and enabling again would work but this time it didn't. I decided to try and fix the problem by uninstalling the driver for the ethernet thinking it would reinstall automatically, and for some reason I deleted the LAN connection in my network devices (I can't remember why). When I restarted my computer, the network adapter didn't show up so I tried to then install it with drivers from the Gigabyte site for my mobo, which I'd put on a USB and this just ran and then disappeared and didn't do anything. I then decided I would wipe my drive and install windows again which I did using the windows feature to reinstall, this then got my computer into a continuous blue screen. I had to get windows on a USB and install it again that way which worked BUT the network adapter and LAN are still not present, luckily I have wifi so I can use that albeit it's weak signal. I tried installing the drivers from USB and from the Disk, the disk said that it had successfully installed drivers but there was still no network so I then went into the network section of the disc and tried to install it from there. Then I got the error "No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer" which is absolutely infuriating because there definitely is and was a working ethernet slot even though it was, as I said previously, temperamental. I've been in Device Manager and there are absolutely no ethernet drivers in there so I can't even attempt to update the software, even with "Show Hidden Devices" turned on. All windows updates have been completed too. I've now ordered a PCI-E Network Card which will be coming on the 15th in hopes that that will fix it because the wifi is horrendous. If anyone else has any insight it would be highly appreciated, even though I'm sure I've done everything I can to combat this problem it doesn't hurt to ask for help. My motherboard was only purchased in June so I have contacted the company requesting an RMA but as it's almost Christmas I'd really like to not be without a computer for several weeks.

Solution
Strange issue for sure. What I would do is boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if the nic is recognized there. If so, then it's still a software issue somehow. If not, then definitely a rma.

And you don't have to wait for a pcie nic if you can find a usb 3.0 one locally (even usb 2.0 would be fine but limited to 480Mbs). These usually work well in a pinch and are pretty cheap since they are almost commodity products now.
The new card will likely work but I suspect your problem is you are missing a different motherboard driver. I am no expert on pc but I have seen you need some driver for the motherboard and then you can install the driver for the network card.

Swapping out a motherboard without a clean install tends to not work that well. But you have done a clean install. All I can think of is you missed a step when installing the drivers from the motherboard.

Of course make sure there is not some option in the bios that lets you disable the ethernet.

Poppy Withers

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
The new card will likely work but I suspect your problem is you are missing a different motherboard driver. I am no expert on pc but I have seen you need some driver for the motherboard and then you can install the driver for the network card.

Swapping out a motherboard without a clean install tends to not work that well. But you have done a clean install. All I can think of is you missed a step when installing the drivers from the motherboard.

Of course make sure there is not some option in the bios that lets you disable the ethernet.

Yeah I installed the chipset drivers first but that made absolutely no difference and even installing the drivers from the disc that is for the motherboard didn't work. I forgot to mention I'd already checked in the BIOS and that's enabled. It's truly puzzling, I'm not 100% if it means my mobo is faulty or not.

Strange issue for sure. What I would do is boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if the nic is recognized there. If so, then it's still a software issue somehow. If not, then definitely a rma.

And you don't have to wait for a pcie nic if you can find a usb 3.0 one locally (even usb 2.0 would be fine but limited to 480Mbs). These usually work well in a pinch and are pretty cheap since they are almost commodity products now.

Solution