Network Assigning 10.11.x.x IPs to Devices

kendallknight23

Commendable
Jun 8, 2018
Hello I have recently purchased a Netgear modem and Netgear Nighthawk router but I keep coming across the problem that my network will assign the devices a 10.11.x.x IP on the network and then those respective devices do not work online since it's not a 192.168.x.x address.

I know for netgear routers I can log in to their page using http://routerlogin.net to access the router settings but I can't find any setting for an IP range that's getting auto assigned to new devices. My friends tell me it should be a setting in my modem but I can't figure out how to connect to my modem directly through its online page to see its settings.

When I try to use the default gateway address in ipconfig it just takes me to the router page and not the modem.

Has anyone had this issue with 10.11 addresses or know how to edit the settings to assign a different IP range to new devices so that I can resolve this issue. It's been a massive headache as I thought it was a router & modem problem with my previous hardware so I went and spent ~$300 to get this new modem and router to only have the issue persist.

I would appreciate any help to the cause, thank you

kanewolf

Titan
A 10.x.y.z address is just as valid as a 192.168.x.y address for a private network. If ALL the devices get a 10. network it should work just fine. If you have some devices getting a 10. and some getting a 192.168. address then you have two conflicting DHCP servers in your network.

kendallknight23

Commendable
Jun 8, 2018

Yeah my devices are getting IPs from both address ranges but when my devices have the 10.x.x.x IP they don't work on the network. It will either just say that they don't have internet or they just never load anything.

I would really like to know how to get to the DHCP settings in my router but I can't find out how. I want to see if it has both IP ranges as ranges to auto assign to devices that way I can just change it to 192.x.x.x range.

kendallknight23

Commendable
Jun 8, 2018

Yeah that setting shows the correct range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 for me but some devices still get 10.x.x.x

kanewolf

Titan

So it is NOT your Netgear router that is assigning the 10.x IP addresses. You have another device that is acting like a DHCP server. You need to figure out what it is. Windows Server, WIFI AP, OOMA adapter, lots of things. You need to find the rogue DHCP server. There are youtube videos and pages with how-to on finding a rogue DHCP server.

kendallknight23

Commendable
Jun 8, 2018

Only things I have are 2 Echo Dots, 2 Smartphones, 1 Laptop, 1 Desktop, 3 Hue bulbs, the hue bridge and a wemo switch. The issue started happening after I got the hue bulbs with their bridge it seemed.