[SOLVED] Network issues - WiFi cuts randomly, can't find a solution

Jan 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have been having issues on my PC since getting a new router 3 days ago. I have been trying to solve the problem myself using information found online, including topics on this forum, but have been unsuccessful. I would be really grateful if you could spare time to help me out ! Thank you already for reading this.

Symptom:

-On Laptop, when connected to router wirelessly (1.5m away, very good signal), connection to the Internet will randomly cut. The computer will still display that the computer is connected to the router, however loading any webpage or online game will result in a "website took too long to respond" or a disconnection from the game.
This can happen at any interval between 30s and 20 minutes.
Restarting the network adapter will restore connection within a few seconds, with no issue at all until the next "cut".
This issue happens with my laptop ONLY. My Chromebook and Smartphone do not have this issue.
This issue also only happens on WiFi. Wired connection is excellent and does not cut.

Laptop is a HP Pavillion Dv6.
Network card: Broadcom 802.11n
Router: Fritz! Box 7590

-The issue started right after connecting my laptop to the router. The laptop has had no history of random disconnections as such before.
-When running Windows Network Diagnostic Tools: Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings. When unchecking the "automatically detect proxy settings" box from the internet properties, the issue remains, but the message changes to " Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS primary server) is not responding".

What I've already tried:
-I used CMD to run ipconfig /flushdns, /registerdns, /release, /renew, netsh winsock reset, netsh ip reset, to no avail.
-I reset my PC and reinstalled Windows 10
-I changed the DNS for ipv4 and ipv6 to Googles' DNS. Didn't work. When troubleshooting, gave the "appears to be correctly configured (...)" message.
-I disabled ipv6.
-I changed the DNS to the router's DNS (I think it was, can't be sure, but when router connects to DSL is has shown itself as being the DNS)
-Switched the router on and off several times
-Uninstalled and reinstalled my network adapter.

Still no luck.

Other information:
-When issue happens, Event Viewer shows a warning with Event ID 1014. Description:
"Name resolution for the name www.XXXXX.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."
-Router supports two bands, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Only the laptop uses 2.4GHz, the two other devices the other.
-Pinging 8.8.8.8 when cut results in timeout on first step.

Advice is really welcome ! If you need any additional info - and I assume you may - let me know and I'll provide it asap !

Regards

Solution
Great description of your problem. From my experience with HP, occasionally there can be issues with the network card itself. I can’t understand how it works sometimes and not others, maybe it’s an electrical short on the board or something. What you can try is buy a cheap USB adapter and use it over the onboard WiFi. This will tell you if it is a problem with the routers 2.4 ghz band or not. Also, have you updated the firmware on the router? And what DNS are you running on the router

SurpriseSlayer1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
Great description of your problem. From my experience with HP, occasionally there can be issues with the network card itself. I can’t understand how it works sometimes and not others, maybe it’s an electrical short on the board or something. What you can try is buy a cheap USB adapter and use it over the onboard WiFi. This will tell you if it is a problem with the routers 2.4 ghz band or not. Also, have you updated the firmware on the router? And what DNS are you running on the router

Solution