[SOLVED] Network Jitter - ping spikes

darkonerxd77

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
Hey,
I've this issue for 2 months now,
I play a game called counter strike, and the ping is going fast between 70 to 90 but 80 is pretty much the spot where it stays which isn't bad for my location from the servers.

The issue is that I'm teleporting because my unstable ping that I've checked on meter-ping, ping to a local server going; result , ping to couple non local servers; results

I downloaded also a software named ping plotter and pinged google;

results

The internet was fine for a one year straight, what can cause the issue?

Thank you :)

Solution
They just are not doing detailed enough testing. How can it be your router when they are actually running their ping tests to your router. Is there a modem in the path. Can you unplug the router and plug the pc directly into the modem. This would quickly disprove their theory that it is the router. Of course they then would just blame the PC. The last time I called my ISP the first tech I got had never heard of the ping command. :(

ISP are so lazy.....then again they get tons of stupid people who do not even try to do basic stuff and even fewer that can run tools like pingplot.

Not sure how to proceed, you just have to pester them. Maybe offer to lease one of their routers on the condition that it must fix this problem...
You need to run the ping plotter more to collect more data to be really sure.

What the ping plot show is not instability...ie jitter. Your average ping is very close to the minimum.

What it does show is you are getting packet loss. It starts in hop 2 and you see it randomly all the way to the end node. If this pattern repeats in other ping plotter then it is hop2. This is the connection to your house. Check your modem to see if it reports anything interesting. You need to call your ISP but I would run normal ping commands to your router ip in hop 1 and the ISP ip in hop 2 at the same time you can then show the ISP. Many level 1 tech will barely be able to understand the ping command test and not be able to read ping plot.

If your loss comes and goes and does not happen all the time the ISP may test and say things are fine. These are hard to fix since they ISP needs to actually see the problem in their equipment to fix it.

Reactions: darkonerxd77

darkonerxd77

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
You need to run the ping plotter more to collect more data to be really sure.

What the ping plot show is not instability...ie jitter. Your average ping is very close to the minimum.

What it does show is you are getting packet loss. It starts in hop 2 and you see it randomly all the way to the end node. If this pattern repeats in other ping plotter then it is hop2. This is the connection to your house. Check your modem to see if it reports anything interesting. You need to call your ISP but I would run normal ping commands to your router ip in hop 1 and the ISP ip in hop 2 at the same time you can then show the ISP. Many level 1 tech will barely be able to understand the ping command test and not be able to read ping plot.

If your loss comes and goes and does not happen all the time the ISP may test and say things are fine. These are hard to fix since they ISP needs to actually see the problem in their equipment to fix it.

First of all, Thank you so much for the fast response.
Yeah, the ISP and WI told me that everything is fine on their side.

What exactly should I write in the CMD? I will get image of it, until then I will ping google more and post it with my next response.

Thank you!

Well this time it didn't show the error in hop 2 but it got very consistent loss in most the hops. You can ignore hop 3 it is configured to not respond.

It maybe becuase the loss is so low this time. It is still high enough to cause issues in games.

That ping you post is the first one and it proves the problem is not in your router or your pc. Now you do the same to the ip in hop 2 and hope you see errors since that one is the easiest to get the ISP to fix.

This one may take a bit for the ISP to be able find it the loss is very low. Problem is I bet it is coming in bursts so it will have a large impact on games. If the ISP is motivated enough they have many tools that can see errors on the line going to your house.

darkonerxd77

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
Well this time it didn't show the error in hop 2 but it got very consistent loss in most the hops. You can ignore hop 3 it is configured to not respond.

It maybe becuase the loss is so low this time. It is still high enough to cause issues in games.

That ping you post is the first one and it proves the problem is not in your router or your pc. Now you do the same to the ip in hop 2 and hope you see errors since that one is the easiest to get the ISP to fix.

This one may take a bit for the ISP to be able find it the loss is very low. Problem is I bet it is coming in bursts so it will have a large impact on games. If the ISP is motivated enough they have many tools that can see errors on the line going to your house.

Oh, I thought that I need to replace my router..
Is it ISP issue or network infrastructure ? because it's different companies where I live :)

Something little bit odd, If I put the 2nd IP from ping plotter into the cmd, It gives me only timeouts.

If hop 2 does not respond to ping that is unfortunate because it give the ISP the ability to claim it is your equipment or in another ISP and they block your ability to prove it is not. Try a regular ping command rather than pingplot.

The most likely source of this is in the conenction between your house and the ISP. There is actually quite a bit of equipment that ping can not see so it could be the wires or one of the other electronic equipment in the path.

In most cases your only option is to call the ISP. They are ones that would have a contract with company that owns the wires and you can not call that company directly.

darkonerxd77

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
If hop 2 does not respond to ping that is unfortunate because it give the ISP the ability to claim it is your equipment or in another ISP and they block your ability to prove it is not. Try a regular ping command rather than pingplot.

The most likely source of this is in the conenction between your house and the ISP. There is actually quite a bit of equipment that ping can not see so it could be the wires or one of the other electronic equipment in the path.

In most cases your only option is to call the ISP. They are ones that would have a contract with company that owns the wires and you can not call that company directly.

I've tried regular ping command and also through pingplot and 100 packet loss.
I've contacted my ISP today, they ran a ping test to my router and it gave a result of max 50ms w/ average of 1ms.
And told me that the router is the problem and to contact my WI.

I can't argue with them because I really don't know anything about networks, and they seem to not really want to solve my issue :\

They just are not doing detailed enough testing. How can it be your router when they are actually running their ping tests to your router. Is there a modem in the path. Can you unplug the router and plug the pc directly into the modem. This would quickly disprove their theory that it is the router. Of course they then would just blame the PC. The last time I called my ISP the first tech I got had never heard of the ping command. :(

ISP are so lazy.....then again they get tons of stupid people who do not even try to do basic stuff and even fewer that can run tools like pingplot.

Not sure how to proceed, you just have to pester them. Maybe offer to lease one of their routers on the condition that it must fix this problem or you will go back to using yours.

Solution

darkonerxd77

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017

Not sure how to proceed, you just have to pester them. Maybe offer to lease one of their routers on the condition that it must fix this problem or you will go back to using yours.

I will call them again.
Bill, Thanks alot for your time to respond , I really appreciate the effort.