[SOLVED] Network takes a while to identify after startup.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
I've been having this problem for about 3 days now. To start; this only happens on my Ethernet. After each startup my ethernet would be unidentified -> then starts identifying while it then finally connects after 20-30seconds. It would connect after everything had started up. Discord / Steam etc. Giving me errors of no internet. When it use to connect instantly. As a alternative I use wi-fi and that connects instantly then once LAN connects it switches to that. But even sometimes my speeds are slow. 10-30mbps when it should be 500+. Only happens sometimes randomly when i check the speed.

Things I done:
  • Uninstalled & Reinstalled drivers / windows 10.
  • Used different ethernet cables / ports.
  • Done all the CMD commands. -> release/renew/flushdns/netsh reset/resock etc etc.
  • Restarted/Factory restored modem.
  • Contacted ISP. Told me it all looks fine on their end.
Also to note; when I re-installed my windows. Without downloading any updates / or softwares. On a clean install. I restarted and it still occurs. Which leads me to believe that its not on my end.. I might replace the modem by taking it back to xfinity store in hopes that with a new one ill get new addresses.

I also got these errors when I ran a realtek ethernet diagnostic tool:

Connection Status : Failed
This test relies on a response from a gateway, DNS, DHCP, or WINS server and no such response was received. Any such server for this connection may be unavailable or misconfigured

Connection Status : Failed
This test relies on a response from a gateway, DNS, DHCP, or WINS server and no such response was received. Any such server for this connection may be unavailable or misconfigured.
This adapter is configured to obtain an IP address automatically but no DHCP server is present on the network. Windows selected an IP address using Alternate Private IP Addressing

Any help is appreciated. I been searching for fixes for days..

Update: I had once again contacted xfinity to check if it was on their end. They agreed to my request to replace my Modem after giving me the same steps i've already done. If a new modem dont work. I'm going to ask a friend to bring a laptop or find something to use to connect the ethernet and see if it'll do the same or instantly connect on their device. If it don't then i'll end up buying a ethernet adapter for the pc i guess. However; any other tips or help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Not seeing anything particularly astray in the Ethernet "Get" results.

Overall leaning towards a driver problem.

On the bottom of your Xfinity modem does it list something like "XFSETUP-6043? With two Ethernet ports? That is my model cable modem and one of its two LAN ports is used to connect to the router's [WAN] port via an Ethernet cable.

Typical connections:

Xfinity (ISP) ----- Coax ----> Cable Modem --- Ethernet cable ----> [WAN Port] Router [LAN Ports] ----- Ethernet cables ---> Wired devices and ~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices.

=============

As for choosing an Ethernet network adapter I recommend the same make, if possible, as the router. Otherwise, two different manufacturer's are likely to just blame each...
It is highly unlikely it is the ethernet port in your machine. Since wifi works everything else in the modem is common so it only leave the port which is also highly unlikely.

It is hard to say what those messages mean. It will say that many times even if you have no cable plugged in.....this is one of those DUUH of course DNS will not work if the port is not active stupid error messages. Maybe it should say the same if the power is off to the computer.

Now if we assume it really is a DHCP issue the best test would be to manually set the IP, gateway, DNS in the IPv4 settings on the nic manually. If it works I guess you could just leave it that way and not really worry about why. The only thing I can think of that causes issues with DHCP and ethernet ports is some bios have so called "green" energy save settings and the port does not have enough power at first to activate properly.

What is even more concerning is you say it also affects your performance even when it is functional. This makes be suspect a bad cable. It could be a bad port but buying a new cable is a much cheaper first option. Bad cables are strange they can work on some machine and not others and they will work for a while and then have issues. Slight changes in heat will cause issues if the wires are even slightly loose in the plugs. Make sure to watch out for all the fake cables. You only need cat5e others are ok if cheaper. You need pure copper wire (no cca) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

Although not likely when you also have dhcp issues I would check for any so called "gamer" network software. This comes bundled with many motherboards, ones with killer chipset in particular, and I have seen a different variant in some of the junkware you see with video cards.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
@bill001g

Thanks for getting back to me. Sadly, I've already tried all the steps you mentioned. Putting a static IP in the adapter using /ipconfig command and entering th addresses on that. & used google's DNS. But still nothing of that nature worked.

Using different cables also didn't work. I've already checked the network adapter and unhidden it all, and nothing pops out. I even disabled all of them besides just the ethernet and still didnt work. & I don't think its a software or maybe driver issue because when I re-installed my PC on a fresh install, without downloading any drivers/updates. It still happens.

Edit: I tried doing another static IP. I watched a video, and lets say my ipv4 is 0.0.0.50, when I put in that address to say; and hit tab. My submask is example: 100.0.0.0.

However, on my CMD it says my submask is 200.0.0.0. So am I having a mismatch on submask addresses? I went on the modem page and changed the submask entry to 100.0.0.0 and now when i press tab and it auto inputs, its the same submask now. Just basing this off the video on how his submask is the same when he tabs.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model: Modem, Router, or (if combined) modem-router.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Also look in Reliability History for any network related error codes, warnings, or even informational events.

Need more information and actual details (IP addresses, subnet masks) to work with.

Are you sure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled at any given time?

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
@Ralston18

Make and model: Modem, Router, or (if combined) modem-router:
A: Can't find a exact model number. It's a combined i think, and its rented from Xfinity.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results:
A:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.685]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-VICABTL
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 04-92-26-BD-5E-50
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:643:380:4d90::ff20(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 20, 2020 1:29:27 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 27, 2020 1:29:27 PM
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:643:380:4d90:a9c9:f168:afe1:a6(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:643:380:4d90:d418:ec02:b8b4:4e26(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a9c9:f168:afe1:a6%7(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.185(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 20, 2020 1:29:19 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 1:29:19 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::be9b:68ff:fedc:be80%7
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 100962854
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-6F-02-7B-04-92-26-BD-5E-50
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 3C-6A-A7-C6-B1-1A

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 3E-6A-A7-C6-B1-19

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 3C-6A-A7-C6-B1-19

Also look in Reliability History for any network related error codes, warnings, or even informational events: View: https://imgur.com/a/vBFkMQS

--> The reliability history doesn't stand out much. The troubleshooting errors that it shows on it are when I was trying to troubleshoot it during its identifying phase. Which just gives me a Not a Valid IP. .. But still connects after a while. I read that it might be the latency due to covid.. Do u think that could be it? Just, too many people on the network? idk.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I am a Xfinity customer.

Take a close look at your incoming connection(s).

Normally the connection path is:

Xfinity (ISP) ----- Coax ----> Cable Modem --- Ethernet cable ----> [WAN Port] Router [LAN Ports] ----- Ethernet cables ---> Wired devices and ~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices.

The "ipconfig /all" results are not what I would expect. That could be due to the hardware that has been installed. Take a closer look for make and model information., There should be some labels on each device.

Or post photographs: device and labels.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Also run "tracert 8.8.8.8" and "pathping 8.8.8.8" via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

FYI: pathping will take about 5 minutes.

The objective is to learn more about what device IPs are involved with your network connectivity.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
@Ralston18

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is the required info:

I'm not much a internet guy, so i don't know how I can check for incoming connections. The only things I have that is via ethernet is my desktop. My motherboard is a Z390-E ROG STRIX. It as a built in wi-fi. But I only use ethernet.

Even after factory resetting the modem then only using the ethernet it also does it. So no other device is making it or conflicting with it. Are you still asking / wanting the model number for modem?

Model Information:
SN: 152930068392204824

CM MAC: BC 9B 68 DC BE 7D

MTA MAC: BC 9B 68 DC BE 7E

Tracert 8.8.8.8 / Pingpath 8.8.8.8:
7MLzISa.png

More Information Including a 411 Kernal Error? (Maybe the issue?)

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
@Ralston18

Interesting.. I decided to uninstall my ethernet driver once again after downloading the LAN driver from my motherboards website. (Asus). Now, im getting this error when trying to install the ethernet driver?

I'm not sure why. It's specifically for windows 10 x64. With my motherboard Z390-E Gaming ROG STRIX.

Ralston18

Titan
Network adapter per "ipconfig /all".

Go back to Intel's website to double check that the correct network adapter driver was downloaded. E.g. = I219V.

Not sure about the path name referenced in the .zip file download.

And something seems to be astray with hop #9. Certainly not in your control nor that of Xfinity.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Network adapter per "ipconfig /all".

Go back to Intel's website to double check that the correct network adapter driver was downloaded. E.g. = I219V.

Not sure about the path name referenced in the .zip file download.

And something seems to be astray with hop #9. Certainly not in your control nor that of Xfinity.
I see on the support page for your motherboard that the 2019/07/08 driver is only for the RS5 revision of your motherboard. But the 2019/04/03 is universally for all revisions of your motherboard. Do you know what hardware revision of your motherboard you have, I would try the driver from 2019/04/03 to see if it's more stable.

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z390-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

Thanks for all the support/information. Yet it has not been fixed. i might just live with just using the wi-fi for now until somehow things fix. I've re-installed my windows for the last time, and I know for a fact it cannot be my computer.. With the basic of drivers, no installations of anykind. It has been doing the samething. Even with me updating using the software "Amoury Crate" which updates all the drivers for my specific motherboard. The problem still occurs. My internet speed so far has been great after just updating them from armoury crate. 500+. But still doing the 'ol identifying network etc. sadly. Before I even re-installed. I did try downloading and updating from this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

but still to no success.

Ralston18

Titan
Windows 10

Using a wired connection (ensure that the computer's wireless network adapter is disabled):

Open Powershell and run the following "Get" cmdlet

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty

You can copy and paste the above command line from this post into Powerhell.

The results will provide more information about the configuration of your network adapter.

Post the results.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Windows 10

Using a wired connection (ensure that the computer's wireless network adapter is disabled):

Open Powershell and run the following "Get" cmdlet

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty

You can copy and paste the above command line from this post into Powerhell.

The results will provide more information about the configuration of your network adapter.

Post the results.
Thanks for getting back. Here are the results. Sorry that it has been taking a while fixing it.

btw: I do plan on buying a internal ethernet card. Just to test. As they aren't that expensive. However; in your experience, which card is best? If u have any recommendations.
QZamQ4n.png

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

On the bottom of your Xfinity modem does it list something like "XFSETUP-6043? With two Ethernet ports? That is my model cable modem and one of its two LAN ports is used to connect to the router's [WAN] port via an Ethernet cable.

Typical connections:

=============

As for choosing an Ethernet network adapter I recommend the same make, if possible, as the router. Otherwise, two different manufacturer's are likely to just blame each other.

Google: "Ethernet PCIe cards reviews".

Focus the search on products that meet your requirements, budget, and are readily available. Hopefully somewhere you can "walk in" as social distancing permits.

Ask family and friends: Someone may have an Ethernet card that they will lend you. A USB to Ethernet adapter is another option you can try.

In any case go on line and look for the necessary drivers beforehand and plan on manually downloading, installing, and configuring as necessary for your network.

Find and read the User Manual beforehand as well.

Solution

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017

Typical connections:

=============

As for choosing an Ethernet network adapter I recommend the same make, if possible, as the router. Otherwise, two different manufacturer's are likely to just blame each other.

Google: "Ethernet PCIe cards reviews".

Focus the search on products that meet your requirements, budget, and are readily available. Hopefully somewhere you can "walk in" as social distancing permits.

Ask family and friends: Someone may have an Ethernet card that they will lend you. A USB to Ethernet adapter is another option you can try.

In any case go on line and look for the necessary drivers beforehand and plan on manually downloading, installing, and configuring as necessary for your network.

Find and read the User Manual beforehand as well.
@Ralston18

Hello! the new modem came in. It seems to be an updated modem as well. My previous is a XB6-T? it said on it. The new one is a white one with 4 ports and named XB7-T.

Either way, I connected it and activated. & it connected instantly!! I even restarted and it connected instantly. So overall. Modem problem? lol.

Even when when I restart. The internet is already connected before my desktop is even showing for me. Feels so much more quicker connecting.

I'll give it a few more restarts / a day and see if its successfully fixed.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Hopefully so.

It would be all too easy but equally meaningless to speculate (however tempting) on what all transpired.

So, if fixed then just be content with that......
i'm pretty satisfied. Updated Modem model + it working again. I guess it wasn't a driver problem nor my computer. Who knows.

Thanks for all the help Ralston.