Networking Assignment Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

email4forums96

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018
Hello, I have an assignment that I need some help with. Below is the scenario for the assignment.

Company ABC is an upcoming call center which has 2 branches. One branch is in location A and the other branch is in location B.

The setup of the location A which is the Head Office is as follows:
• Floor 1:
o Reception Area
o Marketing Department (10 employees)
o GM’s Room
o Accounts Department (08 employees)
o Customer Interview Area – with Wi-Fi facilities

• Floor 2:
o Calling Center for USA clients - 150 computers
o Video conferencing room
o Training Center with 50 computers

• Floor 3
o Calling Center for UK clients - 120 computers
o Auditorium – with Wi-Fi facilities
o The Server Room with the IT team

The arrangement of the branch in location B is as follows

• Floor 1:
o Reception Area
o Center Manager’s Room
o Calling Center for Australian clients - 100 computers
o Video conferencing room

• Floor 2:
o Calling Center for Asian clients - 80 computers
o Training Center with 30 computers
o Auditorium – with Wi-Fi facilities

The question is:
Provide a server that you would have to utilize for the above scenario.

Please help me select a server for the above scenario.
Please I have no idea what to do here.

Solution
@stevensl2 or @email4forums96 (if one and the same...)

I am very sure that none of my bosses or that any of my job requirements included "build a super sweet gaming rig fam". (Whatever "fam" is...?)

Lots of "super sweet gaming rigs" are being built by high school and even middle school kids.

There are all too many programs that train you to pass an exam. In your case (still not sure who "your" is) the A+ exam.

And likely not much else....

Employers are all too aware of that situation.

So in order for you to "stand out" you need to develop your own communication skills; speaking and writing. Know how to prioritize and manage your time. Be a team player, be reliable, be honest. Stay out of trouble and not be too much of a...

USAFRet

Titan

We're not going to do the whole assignment for you.

Put in some effort, give your ideas, and we'll pick it apart.

email4forums96

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018

This is the server I have in mind
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/povw/poweredge-t630

Is that ok?
Please just tell me a server name so I can write about that.

USAFRet

Titan

And you haven't given near enough information. The 'scenario' does not give enough.
What is this "server" supposed to do? What functions?

And that link is not a server, but rather a "product family,".
Like a vehicle:
"I need to buy a vehicle"
'OK, buy a Chevy'

ummmm...truck, Corvette, electric, hybrid?

email4forums96

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018

I apologize for not including any additional information.
Below are the requirements for the organization.

The requirements of abc.com are as follows:

a) All departments’ computers of the HEAD OFFICE are to be integrated in to a centralized network. Name – abc.com.
b) All computers in the B branch are to be integrated in to a child entity of the main domain which supposed to be designed under (a).
Name – branch.abc.com
c) Finance department should be kept independently in separate non-centralized environments.
d) The Auditorium of each branch and Customer Interview Area are to be equipped with Wi-Fi connections which are limited only to their respective sites.
e) A dedicated connection between two branches (Branch A and B) which would allow the intra network connectivity between departments.

You are the Chief Network Engineer of ABC, and assigned with the task of plan, design and implement a network solution for your own organization.

I just have no idea what to do here.

USAFRet

Titan

This is far, far more than "a server".

If you're at the point of "I just have no idea what to do here. ", that is the result of 1 of 2 things:

1. You didn't pay enough attention in class
or
2. The professor did not explain it fully.

I, or may other people here, could design you a server farm and network.
And hand it to you.
You might get a B out of it. Maybe even an A.

And learn absolutely nothing from the class.

Again...we're not going to do the assignment for you.

email4forums96

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018

I never asked you to do it for me. I asked you to tell me what to do and I will do it myself and learn from it. This is the full question.
Provide the different types of servers that you would have to utilize in this solution and comprehensively analyze and compare the different types of servers available in the market (based on the cost and benefits of them) and make the best selection. Justify your answer.

At least can you explain the question to me? What kind of server would benefit the scenario? If you can kindly just tell me a name of a server then I will google it and write about it.

Will Dell PowerEdge T430 work for the scenario?

Please just tell me what server is best for the scenario.

stdragon

Admirable
A "Server" is just a name for a centralized computer specialized in (ready for it)...serving resources. Typically (but not always), an enterprise grade server will be based on hardware that provides fault tolerance in the event an a HW failure depending on the nature of the issue.

As for the Server's ability, that depends on the role it's required of it. A server can perform one or more of the following - Serve files over the network, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, managing print queues, be a physical host for a bunch of virtual servers, HPC (High Performance Computing) for scientific calculation needs...etc

So it's one thing to say you needs a "Server". But the more important question is what are the needs of that server to provide that meets the criteria of your scenario. I could tell you, but then you wouldn't learn anything from it ;)

USAFRet

Titan

And that is yet another level of revelation.

"...different types of servers"

You need:
Domain controller
Email server
Firewall(s)
File server(s)
Backup server
A LOT of network infrastructure. Routers, switches, access points, cabling...

Now, it is up to you to "justify" what specific hardware, based on market prices and expected performance.
This is called research.

email4forums96

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018

Please just at least give me a hint? Can you tell me some keywords that I should google? At the moment I am googling "server for medium sized organizations" and "server that can connect 200 computers" and I am not getting anything that is helpful to me.

So can you at least tell me how I can learn which server is right for the scenario? Do you have any links that I can research?

As has been implied, this is not a job for "a server," not even just one at each location. This sounds like an advanced or even graduate level course; did you take the prerequisite courses before signing up for this one? Or, is this an overview course, in which the specifics aren't important; you're just asked to generalize all the types of servers needed, taking a "black box" approach to the problem?

USAFRet

Titan

What level class is this?
Highschool, college, something else?

After finally getting all(?) of the requirements, this is a quite advanced project.

stdragon

Admirable
So I'm MCSE certified in Server 2000 (long since deprecated). One of my questions involved a scenario far more complex than this. Of course, it was purely OS, Services, and Network side. Nothing to do with hardware scoping, but honestly that last part would have been the easiest had it been included.

The OP has it relatively easy IMHO.

USAFRet

Titan

For an MCSE, sure. Standard complexity.

But..."Please I have no idea what to do here."...leads to someone hasn't paid attention, or is in a class too advanced.

email4forums96

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from email4forums96 : "Explain this question?"

Can you guys please explain the below question in a way in which a beginner like me can understand?

"Discuss how workstation hardware inter-dependent with network components in the performance of network."

Much appreciated!

USAFRet

Titan

1 basic concept:
"Network performance is determined by the slowest device in the chain"

(and please keep this to one thread)

email4forums96

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018

My lecturer told me to write about how hardware performance depends on a good network? Is that correct?

Ralston18

Titan
@stevensl2 or @email4forums96 (if one and the same...)

I am very sure that none of my bosses or that any of my job requirements included "build a super sweet gaming rig fam". (Whatever "fam" is...?)

Lots of "super sweet gaming rigs" are being built by high school and even middle school kids.

There are all too many programs that train you to pass an exam. In your case (still not sure who "your" is) the A+ exam.

And likely not much else....

Employers are all too aware of that situation.

So in order for you to "stand out" you need to develop your own communication skills; speaking and writing. Know how to prioritize and manage your time. Be a team player, be reliable, be honest. Stay out of trouble and not be too much of a hassle for your manager and co-workers.

Learn how deal with difficult "customers", peers, managers, and non-IT folks.

Sure, the A+ Certification may help you know to plug A into B. But doing so may cost $x and you may need to explain that to someone.

Overall you must be able and willing to do more work than anyone else. Face up to and answer the hard questions. Not easy.

Your original assignment (Reference the OP) just requires you to provide a server. Not justify the cost, not propose a backup plan, not propose security measures, not propose maintenance and upgrade costs. Etc., etc..

You really need to go back to your class notes, notebooks, handouts, and so forth. Plus have a chat with the lecturer.

Especially if you are not even sure where to begin...

Solution

stdragon

Admirable

^ That's some sage advice right there!

I'll just add that when working in IT (or any service related job for that matter), the first step in solving a problem is *asking the right question/s*. Yes, getting that skill honed takes experience. But, it's still of foundational importance in understanding that first and foremost.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

Not the same person, was just joking. (Fam = family)

Status
Not open for further replies.