Neverwinter Online RPG Heading To PC in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
bad timing, with Guild wars 2, WoW: cataclysm and DDO all out there this is not good time to come out with yet another fantasy based MMORPG plus Diablo 3 is coming out soon...not a good time for this game to come out

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
If bioware were in the production somewhere, Id say there would be a following for it, but as it is... I have no idea how well it would do in this already saturated market.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I hope it won't look like WoW. Saw an ad for AOE and thought "great! loved that game, now I can play online". Then I saw scene shots and the the first thing to go through my head was that it was a WoW clone.
I understand that they want to be playable by everyone, but loose the cartoon look and try to build a game that can really take advantage of modern gpu's or build two versions. One that can be used by anyone and one that will take full advantage of whatever Xfired or sli'd unit you are using.Or maybe your lucky and are running just one high end card.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
MMOs are losing popularity; I don't see this game lasting more than a couple years. The market is crowded enough right now as it is.

[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]MMOs are losing popularity; I don't see this game lasting more than a couple years. The market is crowded enough right now as it is.[/citation]

Agreed and people are starting to move onto other types of games that don't require 1000+ hours gameplay.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]bad timing, with Guild wars 2, WoW: cataclysm and DDO all out there this is not good time to come out with yet another fantasy based MMORPG plus Diablo 3 is coming out soon...not a good time for this game to come out[/citation]
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Hmmm... so basically they're going to ruin another RPG by turning it into an MMO like they're doing with KOTOR.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]MMOs are losing popularity; I don't see this game lasting more than a couple years. The market is crowded enough right now as it is.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Lunatic Magnet[/nom]Another fantasy MMO woohooo . . . oh wait.[/citation]

Geez, people, learn to read. Had to quote all these because it's NOT an MMO. It's an online RPG. You can play co-op with up to five people.

The irony of this is that Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 could have you play on servers with up to at least 32 people, maybe more, I can't remember.

To restate: This is not an MMO.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I will too, neverwinter (forgotten realms) was great back in the D&D days, great as a regular multiplayer RPG, not a bad sequel (nwn2). It's definitely got a strong legacy story wise.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Im kinda mixed on this. It could have potential, but a lot of people feel like Cryptic has burned too many bridges in the past, with how they handled the various games they've made. I will play a wait and see approach to this, but honestly, I see it getting left in the dust once Diablo III comes out.

And on a side note, WTF is up with all the damn spammers on Toms lately? I know its not Toms fault or anything, but damn is it starting to get old...

We are aware of the SPAMMERS, and are removing them as quick as possible. We have added more moderators to the team, and the rights have expanded to include the UK forum as well.

Any time you see SPAM, please use the report link at the top of the message to report it, and it will be removed. Thanks!

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I can't see me touching this game with a 10' pole, for several reasons.

Reason #1 is that I'm not a fan of Cryptic's games. Champions was mediocre, and Star Trek Online a major disappointment & rip-off.

Reason #2 is because this will be the "new" 4th Edition Forgotten Realms (the Spellplague). 4th Edition FR was butchered terribly, and many people call it a dumbed down "Forgotten Eberon" Campaign.

Reason #3 is that this game will probably be using 4th Edition D&D Rules. These rules, while they're not terrible, are so simplified and play so differently from any other version of D&D, that they doesn't deserve the name of D&D.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]aford10[/nom]We are aware of the SPAMMERS, and are removing them as quick as possible. We have added more moderators to the team, and the rights have expanded to include the UK forum as well.Any time you see SPAM, please use the report link at the top of the message to report it, and it will be removed. Thanks![/citation]

Good to hear, and will do!

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]LLJones[/nom] I understand that they want to be playable by everyone, but loose the cartoon look and try to build a game that can really take advantage of modern gpu's or build two versions. One that can be used by anyone and one that will take full advantage of whatever Xfired or sli'd unit you are using.Or maybe your lucky and are running just one high end card.[/citation]
You have just slated what could be WoW's future, to keep the user base, WoW2 would be backwards compatible keeping all the same basic features and interactions with those playing the old one... but with new graphics and features as an incentive for players to move to the new version... I hate WoW (both for its ugliness and the immaturity of its community members) but you and I have seen the future.

zampolit

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I'm thinking everyone is missing the most important point...Cryptic Studios!

Considering what they did to StarTrek online, how they pissed off many loyal genre fans(some who won't come back), and the general cut-and-paste programming they do...the game is going to be a complete flop!

Cryptic Studios business model:
1) Get a good IP to somehow let you develop a game
2) Promise a kickass game
3) Cut and paste your code from City of Heroes
4) Reskin it
5) Fail to make a kickass game
6) Sell "preorders" to allow people into the beta once money is getting scarce
7) Sell "lifetime" subscriptions, when money becomes scarce again
8) Release the product again when money becomes scarce
9) Ride the gravy for as long as possible
10) Congratulate your team for being able to stay employed without much cost, capability, or product to show for it.
11) Find new IP, start at #1

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Sorry Cryptic. After seeing a friend play Hero's, only to see the same bland ground-game in STO, I'm not willing to take a chance at another of the same, re-used, game-engine.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Geez, people, learn to read. Had to quote all these because it's NOT an MMO. It's an online RPG. You can play co-op with up to five people. The irony of this is that Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 could have you play on servers with up to at least 32 people, maybe more, I can't remember.To restate: This is not an MMO.[/citation]

ir was upto 64 people , i know i still play nwn 2 ,and used to palky nwn 1 , however i would like to say , in many respects nwn 1 and 2 were always different than MMO's ., perhaps it was the fact that all the servers were made by players using the toolsets , all i know is i would try an MMOand freaking hate it (even hated ddo and it was free), yet i never got tired of nwn 1 and 2.

as for this game, i'm not sure about it , i sort of hate 4th ed dnd products espcially one based of the new compeltely screwed up version of fearaun (forrgotten realms) not sure i'm that into a product that is based off WoTC's stupid retconing and world changing. 4th ed for the first tiem bassically destroyed the dnd worlds to amke them fit into the new rules , soemthign that was never done in teh past usually the world setting would change the rules , which made every world unique. well not any more FR , ebberron , all seems so cookie cutter to me now ,in pen adn paper dnd as well as the pc games.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jamoise[/nom]If bioware were in the production somewhere, Id say there would be a following for it, but as it is... I have no idea how well it would do in this already saturated market.[/citation]

Cryptic has many MMO titles out there for you to try. They are becoming an MMO cookie cutter where each game uses the same engine and most of the same mechanics/interface. The differences here are mostly the setting, story and visuals.

I think as they continue to add more titles to their line up it will generate higher and higher churn rate for each subsequent release and that's not a good thing for the MMO market.

Status
Not open for further replies.