New 1150 motherboard build issues

pepsijoe

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
So I have read just about every posting that I can concerning Z97 architecture motherboards. I had originally looked at socket 2011 v3 instead of the 1150, and obviously I came back... Money isn't the issue, I am looking for aesthetics, performance (wanting to go with 32GB of 3200MHZ RAM), will be using a 4790 i7, 2 ea. GTX 980 cards, 2 ea 500GB SSD, and some additional internal storage perhaps 6TB.... I understand that there are a lot of people who are partial to certain brands, ASUS, EVGA, MSI etc...so your input is greatly appreciated, as long as there is supporting information. This is primarily a gaming PC (If you couldn't tell). Finally, as if this discussion wasn't open enough, I am considering the board (and CPU) as the SOLE basis for everything that follows, case included.... Any good guidance out there?

I think that you will get a better response if you use all your research, and 'pick' a board or three that you think is right and ask for comments and advice on them. This is a huge 'tell me all you know' ask and involves a fairly rare combination of parts (overclocking i7 4790 with SLI 980s). There are a huge number of members on this board, but very few will have the specific knowledge of this combination.

pepsijoe

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
That is my problem...I can't decide on any of them....I would like built in Wifi...other than that, I just want to know what is "the best." I am looking at more than 30 boards...narrowing the selection down is something I have difficulties with. Which is why I am asking for help.

What are your aesthetic constraints?

I would start by looking at something like the Asus Z97-Pro(WiFi/ac) and look at its excellent feature set and compare alternatives to that. If you find something better, make that your new standard.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8249/asus-z97-pro-wifi-ac-review/7
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-intel-amd-motherboard,3902.html

There is no universal BEST. Budget no object, takes out one factor, but it all depends on what you REALLY need.

WiFi (built-in or PCI-e)
Serious overclocking (8+ power phases)
SLI (x8 x8 slots)
32Gb 3200 Mhz
Unspecified aesthetics

That will cut down the list quite a bit.

pepsijoe

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
So this is what I did...now I just have to wait until it all arrives tomorrow

INTEL CORE I7-5960X CPU EXTREME 20M CACHE 3.50 GHZ
ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME MOTHERBOARD
2x EVGA GEFORCE GTX 980 SUPERCLOCKED 4GB GDDR5
SilverStone Strider 1500w Modular Power Supply
2x ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 32GB 2800 KIT (4X8GB)
2x SAMSUNG 850 EVO-SERIES 2.5" SATA III SSD 500GB
2x WD RED 4 TB 3.5" SATA NAS DRIVE
2x PIONEER BLU-RAY BURNER INTERNAL 16X OEM
Corsair Hydro Series H110 Liquid Cooler
CoolerMaster Cosmos II Case