New $2000 *Gaming PC* My parts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Well, i couldn't do my build this month.... *sigh* stupid economy :) and these are my parts for my build, ill build as soon as money allows? no I am not lowering my budget, no I am not going with Intel no I am not going with NVIDIA, just to make that clear.

Not my first PC build

Here are my parts, newegg.com, 2000-2200 dollar budget and stuff don't need keyboard, mouse, monitor, running at 1900x1080, 5970 is overkill yeah yeah yeah well I want it to be overkill :)

PARTS SO FAR:
Antec 1200
Asus Crosshair
Ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ten ninety tee!
I love you G.Skill :)
5970, or as i like to call it, the bitch
OVERKILL PSU, ill crossfi, I mean quad-fire* in the future though :)
Caviar black, but its silver :D
CPU cooLAR
Is that it.. oh yeah and windows 7... and 3 red antec fans to replace the front blue ones, and 2 antec-no-led fans for the back two... and ill turn off the top fan's LEDs ( i don't want a ton of LEDs, ill put a few meteor lights in it though :D. Gonna mod the side window and put some acrylic in there all that stuff.. cut some cable holes.. all that. Wanted to go with the XFX 5970 but newegg doesn't have it ATM -_- ill get it if its in stock though SUGGESTIONS?????? (caviar black, 2 of them in raid)
lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.... -_- D:< BUMP!!!!!!!

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Because it wasn't really significantly different from my build? :p Looked good, though. Bigger SSD, different case, not much else different really. Cheaper mobo, I just stuck with the Crosshair IV because it sounded like the OP was really into the added features. Obviously, it's hell of expensive, and a prime spot to save money if you don't want the additional features.

You did look for combos, which I didn't bother to do. I tend to leave that as an excercise for the reader, since at best, you're only likely to shave $50-100 off.

ares1214

Splendid
The crosshair 4 isnt much superior to the MSI at all, except it has the problem with the northbridge cooling. When i heard about that, and saw the MSI, the top AMD board imo is the MSI. if you wanna fix the cooling problem, it MAY be a different story, but both are so jam packed with features, i doubt either one is really better.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Sorry, I mean "cheaper" as in "less expensive". $230 for the Crosshair, $200 for the MSI board.

When I was buying, prior to the northbridge issue being widely known, the Crosshair IV was clearly the most feature-filled and also the most expensive. I haven't really payed attention to the other boards since I built my rig. :)

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
"well, i am for sure going with 1391-AFB-131LOL-A whatever that means"
-Mr Pizza

I know how to fix the north bridge, that is not an issue at all :)

Back to this intel/amd thing, would going with Intel really give me that much more performance in game?

ares1214

Splendid
you can get the 1090T asus combo and be right at 2200$ in my build, if you so choose. Ok, intel/amd with a 5970, you wont notice it until later down the line. nvidia/ati, when and the gtx 475 comes out, 2 of them will eat the 5970 alive, and cost less or the same.

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Sigh..

Here is a benchmark comparison between X4 965 3.4Gjz and X6 1090T 3.2Ghz. About 8 different games and a lots of other applications.
Another comparison between i7 920 2.66Ghz and X4 965 3.4Ghz (a 2.8Ghz would be slightly better).

But if you're pushing games to the max quality settings and image quality fiilters a lot of the time you're going to be GPU limited and you'll end up having similar performance regardless of the CPU.

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah you got a good point there

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Thats the thing, the 1090t beats the 930 and the 930 beats the 1090t, just in different ways... I think the 1090t would be better for me because I play BC2 a lot and that takes many many many cores... and I see future games will too, I don't hate intel, just.. want 6 cores :) Ima hardcore multitasker

ares1214

Splendid
yeah, both are good for BC2. and both are good in multitasking. to be honest, there is a very SMALL amount of games where a 5970 wont get over 60 fps, and an even smaller amount where a faster cpu in the case will push it higher. most times when the i7 wins its already 100 fps+

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Ok, ill go with the i7 920.. I know how to overclock.. all your guys' input thanks so much! Ive seen the 3dmark and everyone on the forums is using an i7.. meh why not..

G

I assume you mean the 930. It's cheaper and faster :lol:

Barely any games even utilise 4 cores at the moment though guys, so I would say you would be alright on that front.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

To be honest, it's not going to give you a big boost in games right now. Not a noticeable boost, anyway. As I said in an earlier post, it gives you more theoretical fps, but you're not going to notice it, as you won't be able to tell the difference with anything over 60 fps. Virtually all games today are limited by the GPU, and since you're getting a 5970, you're pretty much erasing that limitation at most sane resolutions.

That being said, if you want to go with the i7-930, it's a fine processor. The system will cost more, but you should have the budget for it. If you're just gaming, the hyperthreading won't come in handy, but it may be useful during video editing. (Of course, the 1090T's 6 cores don't all come into play during gaming either.)

Changes to my build above:

CPU - i7-930 - $290
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - $210
RAM - G.Skill PI Series 1600 MHz CL 7 6 GB kit - $170

Total additional cost to original build: +$160

Rest of the build for completeness:
GPU - whatever 5970 you want - $700
SSD - OCZ Vertex 2 60 Gb - $175
HDD - Seagate 7200.12 or Samsung Spinpoint F3 - $75
Case - Antec 1200 - $170 (-$30 promo code ending today)
ODD - cheapest SATA DVD burner with free shipping - 18
PSU - Corsair TX 950 - $140 (and 9.5 at jonnyguru)

total: $1948 + cooling solution of your choice (included a DVD burner this time around)

EDIT: You could, of course, spend another $170 and get the Asus Rampage III Extreme, but I wouldn't really recommend it as a worthwhile use of your funds.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

I know that you mean that as just an interim solution, but that's a bit far off-balance, isn't it? I feel like just knowing that would make me unhappy with a build.

ares1214

Splendid
you might think its off balance, but it really isnt. the 440 is an amazing gaming cpu. most games only take below 3 cores anyway, its already at a high clock, and it CAN unlock into quad core, and maybe even get some l3 cache. it MIGHT hold a 5970 back, but it will give 60 fps+ performance in almost every game, depending on the game and resolution. then when BD comes out, pop that sucker in, and BOOM lift off. its a thought.

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

or get an x2 and unlock to quad :D. Bulldozer is coming soon yes, so I might consider getting an x3 720 (don't want Athlon).. maybe. But really I don't think the new bulldozer CPUs will be that expensive so.. I think ill stay with meh 1090t for some performance when i get my pc :D

ares1214

Splendid
think of it this way, even if it is expensive, you can always get thuban or deneb for dirt cheap. thats why i think its a pretty secure way to go. and unlocking on the 555 has become more and more common, its to the point where people actually buy it expecting it to unlock, and therefore rate it down. just be aware you are buying a dual core, if it unlocks, its amd being nice :lol:

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Well realistically the lowest I would go is a Phenomenal II x4 955 :)