Question New 3070 Ti, device not even recognized

Jun 7, 2023
Hey all! I've done a lot of Googling lately and this forum always comes up. Lots of good answers but nothing I've found seems to help so I've created an account to post about my issue.

Specs First!
MOBO: Gigabyte Z270X Gaming-5
CPU: Intel i7 6700
PSU: Corsair TX850M
HDDs: Two HDDs and one m.2 drive
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 & Asus TUF 3070TI OC V2
RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance

Now the problem :(
I've got a fully functional rig. It's getting up there in age with a complete rebuild planned over time. I got a smoking deal on a 3070TI brand new, so I decided to jump on the GPU before tower/mobo/cpu etc.

I came home, took out the 1080, installed the new 3070 GPU, and I'm getting nothing. No HDMI to my monitor or anything. I plugged the HMDI into my MOBO video out to troubleshoot and my new 3070 doesn't show up in my Devices list at all. I can't even install drivers because Geforce Experience doesn't register as me even having the 3080. I've gone to Asus' website and downloaded the specced drivers and same thing: they won't install because they can't detect the new hardware.

So I take out and re-seat the card. I screw the rear plate to the tower frame just fine. The locking lever on the MOBO locks onto the card.

One thing that seems to point to an issue is that I've only got one PCIE output from the PSU. It daisy-chains to 2x 8-pin connectors on the other end. I plug those into the GPU. The GPU only has 2x 8-pin connectors for power in. Above the GPU power inputs are some LEDs. The LED above one is red and the LED above the other isn't on.
I shut down the computer for curiosity and change the cord ends around in the GPU. This time the other LED is on and the one that was on is now off.

This seems to tell me that maybe the one cord coming from the PSU isn't enough for this card. I don't have additional cords for the PSU due to tossing them during a move last year as I didn't think I'd ever need them.

So my question is this: am I on the right track? I've seen other posters here say that daisy chaining is just fine, while others say it's not. But that's the only lead I have right now. I've updated my bios, DDU uninstalled my 1080 drivers, reseated the 3070, reseated my 8-pin connectors on both the PSU and GPU side. I've tried both HDMI outputs on the 3070.

I haven't tried resetting my CMOS yet, but really just wanted to see what you all think before going further. I greatly respect some of the information I've already gleaned from these forums and think somebody else might be able to point out a dumb rookie mistake or something.

Again, my computer doesn't even register that the new GPU is even connected. The RGB lights on the 3070 do turn on though so it's at least getting some power.

Thanks in advance!

POST-SOLUTION INFO:

So the solution was just getting more power to the GPU. If I had kept the second PCIe cord that came with my modular PSU originally, I'd have tried that. I suspect the GPU just wasn't happy with the output from a single PCIe cord, even though it was daisy-chained. The red LEDs that were solid (not flashing) above one of the GPU power inputs was indeed signalling that there wasn't enough power. I plugged two individual PCIe cords from my new PSU into the GPU and it is now working fine.
NOTE: I was going to try and find a PCIe cord that was compatible with my Corsair PSU, and it may have only run me 40 bucks. But mostly I was just itching to get back into gaming (IN STYLE!!) so I went for a new PSU with all the cords included in the box. I have read and been told that you don't want to try using cords from different brands, or even cords of the same brand but a different model, as they are often incompatible and could simply fry your components.
I hope this information helps somebody else.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey all! I've done a lot of Googling lately and this forum always comes up. Lots of good answers but nothing I've found seems to help so I've created an account to post about my issue.

Specs First!

I've got a fully functional rig. It's getting up there in age with a complete rebuild planned over time. I got a smoking deal on a 3070TI brand new, so I decided to jump on the GPU before tower/mobo/cpu etc.

I came home, took out the 1080, installed the new 3070 GPU, and I'm getting nothing. No HDMI to my monitor or anything. I plugged the HMDI...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build?

I've updated my bios
Can you please pass on the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

I haven't tried resetting my CMOS yet
You would need to do that after you've verified the you'd flashed the BIOS successfully. Disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes.

You might want to try the other PCIe slots as well.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022

Specs First!

I came home, took out the 1080, installed the new 3070 GPU, and I'm getting nothing. No HDMI to my monitor or anything. I plugged the HMDI into my MOBO video out to troubleshoot and my new 3070 doesn't show up in my Devices list at all. I can't even install drivers because Geforce Experience doesn't register as me even having the 3080. I've gone to Asus' website and downloaded the specced drivers and same thing: they won't install because they can't detect the new hardware.

So I take out and re-seat the card. I screw the rear plate to the tower frame just fine. The locking lever on the MOBO locks onto the card.

One thing that seems to point to an issue is that I've only got one PCIE output from the PSU. It daisy-chains to 2x 8-pin connectors on the other end. I plug those into the GPU. The GPU only has 2x 8-pin connectors for power in. Above the GPU power inputs are some LEDs. The LED above one is red and the LED above the other isn't on.
I shut down the computer for curiosity and change the cord ends around in the GPU. This time the other LED is on and the one that was on is now off.

This seems to tell me that maybe the one cord coming from the PSU isn't enough for this card. I don't have additional cords for the PSU due to tossing them during a move last year as I didn't think I'd ever need them.

So my question is this: am I on the right track? I've seen other posters here say that daisy chaining is just fine, while others say it's not. But that's the only lead I have right now. I've updated my bios, DDU uninstalled my 1080 drivers, reseated the 3070, reseated my 8-pin connectors on both the PSU and GPU side. I've tried both HDMI outputs on the 3070.

I haven't tried resetting my CMOS yet, but really just wanted to see what you all think before going further. I greatly respect some of the information I've already gleaned from these forums and think somebody else might be able to point out a dumb rookie mistake or something.

Again, my computer doesn't even register that the new GPU is even connected. The RGB lights on the 3070 do turn on though so it's at least getting some power.

Thanks in advance!
I think you're on the right track with the cable. That red led on the GPU shows it's not getting power. Corsair can probably help you with a replacement (or an additional) cable.

Solution
Jun 7, 2023
I think you're on the right track with the cable. That red led on the GPU shows it's not getting power. Corsair can probably help you with a replacement (or an additional) cable.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll add some details to the main post to hopefully help this show up in searches for the next person being left feeling hopeless and lost by this issue.
So I had tossed the extra connectors that came with my PSU originally during a move (moving and purging is the best, until something like this happens lol) and I didn't feel confident enough to try finding model-specific cords to order in to attempt to solve this problem, so I got a whole new PSU. Bit excessive but the previous one was at least 4 years old so it's not the worst thing. I am building a new PC piece by piece so yeah whatever.

Reactions: Richj444
Jun 7, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build?

I've updated my bios
Can you please pass on the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

I haven't tried resetting my CMOS yet
You would need to do that after you've verified the you'd flashed the BIOS successfully. Disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes.

You might want to try the other PCIe slots as well.

Hey I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out. The issue ended up being that I wasn't supplying the GPU with enough power. Will add more details to my OP just for the next person encountering this problem :)

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll add some details to the main post to hopefully help this show up in searches for the next person being left feeling hopeless and lost by this issue.
So I had tossed the extra connectors that came with my PSU originally during a move (moving and purging is the best, until something like this happens lol) and I didn't feel confident enough to try finding model-specific cords to order in to attempt to solve this problem, so I got a whole new PSU. Bit excessive but the previous one was at least 4 years old so it's not the worst thing. I am building a new PC piece by piece so yeah whatever.
Glad you found a solution, hope you enjoy that new pc!

TRENDING THREADS