Question New 7700x build - Win10 or 11

cwburns32

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
I have done some extensive reading on the whys and why nots but curious to get some of you alls opinions on the matter.

Upgrading to a 7700x this weekend. My first question is, I am on 10 today can I use my 10 key to install 11 or will I need to purchase 11 and use that key? I have read the "free" upgrade has now passed but also have read that old keys work on 11 installs, post the "free" upgrade period. If I have to pay for 11 I will probably just install 10 and wait until 2025.

But if I can use my 10 key I am considering moving to 11. Mostly use the machine for work and gaming; however, I Citrix into my environment for work so I suppose it's mostly used for casual web browsing and gaming. I had heard 11 takes better advantage of e/p cores and multi-cores, etc but have also heard that the performance increase is rather negligble?

USAFRet

Titan
Given a fresh OS install in the new hardware, you can use your existing valid Win 10 license key for a new Win 11 install.

I have read the "free" upgrade has now passed but also have read that old keys work on 11 installs, post the "free" upgrade period.
From 10 to 11, no it has not passed.
What you're referring to is a WIn 7 license trying to activate WIn 10 or 11.

cwburns32

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Once windows detects compatible hardware, it will let you know that you can upgrade to win11, but the upgrade may not be available immediately.
Figured, thank you
Given a fresh OS install in the new hardware, you can use your existing valid Win 10 license key for a new Win 11 install.

From 10 to 11, no it has not passed.
What you're referring to is a WIn 7 license trying to activate WIn 10 or 11.
So download the 11 ISO and use 10 key on install and that should work?

Latest posts