Question New 7800X3D has insanely high temps and crashes when I launch a game.

fayaflai

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Hey guys,

Decided to upgrade from my old i7 9700k to a 7800X3D. For this I also needed new mobo and ram. (See here: View: https://i.imgur.com/kvRzfwo.png
). When installing a noticed my PSU only have one 8pin connector, when the motherboard has 2. I read online that this wasn't an issue.

Sadly my cpu temp idle at 0% usage is 60%, and when i do a 100% benchmark it instantly shoots up to 90c and stays on exacly 90c. My friends told me ryzen runs hot so it's no problem but I'm not so sure. I wish it was, but when I launch a game my pc will crash and shut itself off within a minute (Even when the temps did not get super high yet). My airflow/fans are blowing. There is no dust.

I removed the cpu cooler to see what was going on there but the pre-applied thermal paste coverage was perfect. I reinstalled it with some arctic silver I had laying around and same issues.

I cleared Cmos and updated the MSI b650 bios with Mflash but the issue is still the same.

What can i do more to troubleshoot? If i can't solve it im just returning everything and going back to my 9700k.

Thanks in advance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see a complete platform change. Did you reinstall Windows? That should be priority #1. You could be chasing errors forever if left as is.

when i do a 100% benchmark it instantly shoots up to 90c and stays on exacly 90c.
It does that by design; the entirety of Ryzen 7000, SPECIFICALLY when you enable an all core/CCD load like that one, Tjmax becomes the temperature target. It's done to maximize performance; if you can keep the temperature away for even a couple degrees, you'd be getting the most out of the cpu. From what I understand, the advertised Tjmax isn't the real temperature limit.

The seemingly high low load thermals are also expected. It's been the norm since Ryzen 3000, but the later gens got more aggressive in boost and the on-die hot spots got ever smaller, making them harder to cool.

In fact, because the temperature isn't moving away from TjMax at all, tells me that either the current cooler is inadequate/case ambient temperature is high/case airflow is poor, or some combo of 1 and 2, or 1 and 3.

Reactions: kurdtnz

fayaflai

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
I see a complete platform change. Did you reinstall Windows? That should be priority #1. You could be chasing errors forever if left as is.

It does that by design; the entirety of Ryzen 7000, SPECIFICALLY when you enable an all core/CCD load like that one, Tjmax becomes the temperature target. It's done to maximize performance; if you can keep the temperature away for even a couple degrees, you'd be getting the most out of the cpu. From what I understand, the advertised Tjmax isn't the real temperature limit.

The seemingly high low load thermals are also expected. It's been the norm since Ryzen 3000, but the later gens got more aggressive in boost and the on-die hot spots got ever smaller, making them harder to cool.

In fact, because the temperature isn't moving away from TjMax at all, tells me that either the current cooler is inadequate/case ambient temperature is high/case airflow is poor, or some combo of 1 and 2, or 1 and 3.

Yeah, fresh windows install. Also cleared CMOS and updated mobo bios driver.

Cooler (be quiet dark pro 2 - 150w tdp) should be good enough. Ambient temp is room temp. Airflow is good. Fans are blasting.

I've got no clue what's going on, I'm probably just returning everything to get my money back and put all my old <Mod Edit> back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you had a top of the range water cooling system, it would still hit 90 degrees as previously said, they are designed this way. However, I would still look at getting a better cpu cooler as you will be able to maintain the 90 degrees for longer before it gets even hotter and starts to thermal throttle. But by far, I think your best bet is using curve optimizer and maybe setting a max temp for your cpu at something like 85 degrees with no loss to performance. (my 7700x is set to 85 degrees with a curve optimizer setting of -25 to all cores and I actually get a bump in performance!) Refer to this video. https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...E077B00C2055E7A0045FE077B00C2055&&FORM=VRDGAR

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
^^^ up to the suggestion of giving Curve Optimizer a try.

updated mobo bios driver.

Cooler (be quiet dark pro 2 - 150w tdp) should be good enough. Ambient temp is room temp. Airflow is good. Fans are blasting.
Updated mobo drivers manually, or using some other program to install them?

The TDP thing can't be relied on. AMD and Intel calculate it differently, plus the cooler manufacturers don't have a testing standard for how they got that. Heck, some of them have stopped posting a TDP in the specs on their websites.

Ambient temp is room temp.
Not sure what this means.
There are 2 ambients: room and case, with the latter always being the warmer of the 2. It could be a few degrees, up to the low double digits warmer than room, and it would be considered normal. Ambient temperature influences how a cooler does at a rate of almost a 1 to 1C.
One of those 2 is the main source of air for all the coolers in your PC, and it's usually the case ambient. Only way to know for sure is to measure the temperature of the air in front of the cooler.

"Airflow is good. Fans are blasting."
I was hoping you'd share what the case is, at least... that's an important piece of info; the case's design, and how the end user set up the interior, plays a part in overall cooling.

That is concerning but, my 5800X as I type, is sat at around 25C, cooled by a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. Room temperature is 21C.
The heck? That leaves more questions than answers.
That's a different cpu, not even a V-cache chip, of which the extra Z-height adds another 'layer', and cpus have enough of those as it is.
Different programs installed on the PC.
Different bios defaults - don't know what changes either of you have made(if any).
Probably different power plans.
Case.
What thermals are being monitored with, and the polling rate.
Mouse - I recall reading that high dpi mice see more temperature spikes.

Reactions: Order 66