Question NEW AM5 system Uefi Bios/boot problems.

May 29, 2024
something in my old system died and would no longer boot.
I confirmed at local computer shop my psu and GPU[Saphire Rx 580 were still good

SO i bought a new;
msi B650 tomohawk mobo
Ryzen 7800x3D cpu
Crucial DDR5 2x16GB
750 watt evga Psu

and repurposed my old Rx580 and samsung 860 Evo m2 drive

At first Assemble i got no boot, nothing but cpu and Mem debug leds lit.
Disassembled and noticed Mobo expects other 2 dimm slots populated first, so swapped those over
reseated Cpu and heatsink didnt find anything wrong except maybe 1 of the 4 4pin split cpu power connector psu things may not have been 100% seated.
SO on next boot try, both those debug lights were out and boot Led was lit but no boot

I postulated maybe my 860 evo was too old of generation to be in Slot 1 NVME and switched it to 2nd slot
Figured same for older Rx580, switched it to the 2nd gpu slot

NOW it will boot into Bios at least
it sees my samsung in 2nd Nvme slot

BUT i noticed this generation of Uefi Bios is getting way more complicated and not sure a home built system will boot linux w/o adjusting trusted computing or secure boot settings

anyone know about new AM5 uefi bios settings?

Lutfij

Titan
BUT i noticed this generation of Uefi Bios is getting way more complicated and not sure a home built system will boot linux w/o adjusting trusted computing or secure boot settings
can you elaborate on what you mean by complicated? If you hit F7 on the keyboard, you should be seeing the advanced version of the UEFI BIOS which caters to the bells and whistles of said motherboard. As for your OS, you should reinstall it since you swapped platforms.

May 29, 2024
My B450 hasnt been running since nov and i probly built that system 18 months before that and maybe only messed with the bios once in that time to change from elementry os to Debian 12 so im just going by memory

BUT the trusted platform and secure boot seem to have more details and settings

I really hope i can run my Debian 12 install cuz that was a terrible bear to install compared to elementry Os, so much so, i probly wont even try debian again as i dont have the time or mental fortitude and just wanna get away from this crappy laptop to a decent desktop system again

i tried the nvme test setting but it seemed greyed out and not suppoorted by my 860 evo m2 drive

im just wondering if this newer bios is designed to botup out of the box or settings need to be changed first?

Last edited:
My B450 hasnt been running since nov and i probly built that system 18 months before that and maybe only messed with the bios once in that time to change from elementry os to Debian 12 so im just going by memory

BUT the trusted platform and secure boot seem to have more details and settings

I really hope i can run my Debian 12 install cuz that was a terrible bear to install compared to elementry Os, so much so, i probly wont even try debian again as i dont have the time or mental fortitude and just wanna get away from this crappy laptop to a decent desktop system again

i tried the nvme test setting but it seemed greyed out and not suppoorted by my 860 evo m2 drive

im just wondering if this newer bios is designed to botup out of the box or settings need to be changed first?
Even linux is not imune from problems when switching to another HW platform, I'm afraid you will have to reinstall it.
As far as BIOS/UEFI is concerned, when you start first time or update BIOS it is in default safe mode so you will have to make certain adjustments to ensure compatibility and performance. Eve since Wndows 11 , manufacturers set TPM on as default because it is required for it.
I don't know what your Linux was installed on and in which mode but BIOS also has CSM (legacy) mode so you should try to enable it first. Your Linux may BOOT that way.
BTW,are you going to run Windows on it too sinceyou bought x3D procesor, it doesn't help Linux at all and may be just added complication?

Reactions: 35below0
May 29, 2024
Only bios changes i made so far to try n boot were ;
Disabling Secure boot
Still didnt boot.
Both times i tried booting, it took a very long time to see any action, so long i was about to reset it, like 45 secs then it just went back into bios

II wont be doing dualboot with windows.
If/when i install windows at a later date it will be on seperate SSD or possibly new Nvme drive

This debian 12 install was just on same settings i was already running Elementry os on the msi B450 mobo

May 29, 2024
can you elaborate on what you mean by complicated? If you hit F7 on the keyboard, you should be seeing the advanced version of the UEFI BIOS which caters to the bells and whistles of said motherboard. As for your OS, you should reinstall it since you swapped platforms.
you were right, nowadays not even linux old installs will boot in a brand new system
reinstalled Elementry Os and seems to be working fine, at least fully updated and rebooted anyways

May 29, 2024
I dont know if its the 4x Ram or 8 core vs 6 core ryzen 2600 but this new system is SNAPPY FAST compared to old desktop
Even compared to new in january 2024 Hp laptop with Ryxen cpu and Radeon Gpu, 16 Gb ram , its WAY FASTER