[SOLVED] New AMD Mobo Recommendation please?

muchwow

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
I am building my gaming PC, would love your recommendation as to what is the most suitable mobo (preferably under 200 USD) for my use. I will be using it for gaming and some light rendering.

Here is the current build i'm boiling:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz 6-core
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb DDR4-3200
SSD : ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512gb
GPU : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6gb OC Rev 2.0
PSU : Seasonic SG12-550 Gold
Case : Corsair 4000D Airflow
Cooler: Stock fan

Bonus features I would appreciate will be wifi ready and safety for future upgradeability (not easily obsolete in the next few years).

Here are some contenders I am considering:
Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
MSI B550M PRO
ASUS - ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)

Solution
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
MSI B550M PRO
First thing to get straight is the board form factor.... the first board is mini-ITX, the second two are mATX and the last is a full ATX. Your chosen case is full ATX so even though the others will fit it only the Asus Strix B550-F Gaming would look right in it. The B550I Aorus Pro will doubtless come at a premium price compared to everything else since mini-ITX usually do.

If price is right otherwise, I'd just go with the Asus STRIX B550-F Gaming as it's a great board, fits the case well, has WIFI and is as 'upgradeable' as any of the others. But do be aware that...
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
MSI B550M PRO
First thing to get straight is the board form factor.... the first board is mini-ITX, the second two are mATX and the last is a full ATX. Your chosen case is full ATX so even though the others will fit it only the Asus Strix B550-F Gaming would look right in it. The B550I Aorus Pro will doubtless come at a premium price compared to everything else since mini-ITX usually do.

If price is right otherwise, I'd just go with the Asus STRIX B550-F Gaming as it's a great board, fits the case well, has WIFI and is as 'upgradeable' as any of the others. But do be aware that AM4 socketed motherboards are pretty close to end-of-life now as AMD has said future CPU's will need a new socket. But you will be able to put any other 3000 or 5000-series CPU on it with no difficulty at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: muchwow
Solution

muchwow

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017

If price is right otherwise, I'd just go with the Asus STRIX B550-F Gaming as it's a great board, fits the case well, has WIFI and is as 'upgradeable' as any of the others. But do be aware that AM4 socketed motherboards are pretty close to end-of-life now as AMD has said future CPU's will need a new socket. But you will be able to put any other 3000 or 5000-series CPU on it with no difficulty at least.
I see, noted on the size! But as I understand what you're saying is all of them would fit into the case, but just that some are smaller and wouldn't look as nice right? Thanks man for the advices!

But as I understand what you're saying is all of them would fit into the case, but just that some are smaller and wouldn't look as nice right?
That's correct; they'll all work but there will be a lot of bare metal with the mATX boards. A WHOLE lot with the mini-ITX board as those things are deceptively small. If price differences are disconsidered, and complete lack of expandibility isn't a concern, it's really just an aesthetic thing which can be important if your case has a tempered glass side panel.

And then - much of the bare space can also be covered by horizontally mounting your GPU to showcase it behind the glass panel.

What you gain with an X570 is more, and higher-bandwidth, PCIe slots. If you've no intention of using them there's no good reason to get one, as you thought. A B550 board provide PCIe gen 4 to the GPU and NVME where the OS should be installed. That's all most anyone should need for gaming.

Last edited: