Question New ASUS Zen DVR writer - connection and software?

tbarb

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I just bought a new laptop and apparently I am feeling my 10 years of not really playing much attention to what has been changing as my old laptop worked that long. The new laptop does not have an optical drive , so I bought an external USB ASUS Zen DVD writer primarily to install my old software apps; and use the M drive capability to make more permanent discs to play as I do a lot of photo editing. When I got home I discovered the box only had the drive and two very short cables - a USB type and a smaller connector type I presumed for an Apple. There was no manual or software disc. With plug and play out, even back when I bought the old machine I did not think anything of it. But other than being able to open the tray with the drive button , it isn't doing much.

Here is what I need to know as their website did not have much detail:

1. The regular USB cable has 2 USB connectors at one end, and one USB connector at the other. I have not seen anything like this before. Am I supposed to connect it to the laptop with both USB connectors? Of course I tried both ways, but since I don't have any software. the problem may be that; but I still need to know how to connect the DVD drive to the laptop.

2. When I do get it working, when I insert an M drive will the DVD know that it is an "M" disc so it will be writing a longer lasting disc?

3. As for the software/drivers there is a down load listed, but they are not specific as to what it is for. I know now there is software to do back ups, and other things with encryption, but I would rather put in just the drivers if I need to as all I need is for it to install my programs and create some "M" discs for photo presetnations.

So perhaps some stuff was missing from the box, maybe not and it's broken. Can you clear up the above points?

Many thanks,
Tom

tbarb

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Thank you.

I was going to copy DVD to DVD to renew my old discs, but if I can find the original files I should be able to just drop and drag them to the DVD drive in file manager. If that does not work then something is wrong with the drive and it goes back. In the meantime maybe I can get them to elaborate on what's in the download they listed, and maybe I don't need it .

Thanks again,
Tom