[SOLVED] New ASUS ZenWifi AX (XT8)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014
Hello all, I was looking into trying to beef up my network system for coverage...I currently own a ASUS RT-AC86U. I saw this new ZenWifi on a couple review sites and it seems to get good ratings and uses wifi6/wpa3 and decent coverage..think 5500 sq ft? Reason I am looking is i noticed my signal doesn't reach to well outside/to garage...and I'm also looking into getting some wifi cameras for around outside. My question here is...do you think it be worth it to upgrade to the zen? I do a lot of streaming,youtube and gaming. Sometimes streaming and gaming occur at once...but I usually hardwire my PC from the router anyways. I also would hardwire the node (2nd one) in the living room, instead of having it use the triband to make the mesh (if i'm right in how that works). Or would i be better off just buying another AC86U and using it as a mesh system or even two more of them...Think it would still be cheaper then purchasing the two pack of the XT8. I've put the links below to asus specs.

Solution
This has gotten so long I forget exactly how you were going to connect it.

First and most important MESH is purely marketing it is not some magic feature. When you connect it via a cable you are running a AP. When you connect it via wifi you are running a repeater. The AP method is always best and is what is done by large corporations.
If you are going to use a wifi connection instead of a cable then you might want to look into other "mesh" devices. The only real advantage these have over the older repeaters is they have a dedicated radio to talk between the main router and the end device. They use different radio chips to talk to the end client machines. I know some but not all models of the orbi system work this...
I would just but a inexpensive router since you are only using the radio part. You are going to run the remote router as a AP so must the other features.

A interesting development since this thread was started. Intel released a couple days ago a wifi6e card and I found asus has the first wifi6e router. This router seems from what I can find uses the broadcom cpu that has encryption support.

So if you REALLY want to be cutting edge you can get wifi6e

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014
I would just but a inexpensive router since you are only using the radio part. You are going to run the remote router as a AP so must the other features.

A interesting development since this thread was started. Intel released a couple days ago a wifi6e card and I found asus has the first wifi6e router. This router seems from what I can find uses the broadcom cpu that has encryption support.

So if you REALLY want to be cutting edge you can get wifi6e
be great to have it to be prepared for future...i couldn't find it. Either way, when you say inexpensive router to use as a node....does the asus mesh system allow any router to be used as a node? or are you referring to do it a different way and not do it through asus?

Also if i wanted to do it through asus' way, do they have to be the same models or could i buy the ax86u and use as a router then use the ac86u i have as a node?

First and most important MESH is purely marketing it is not some magic feature. When you connect it via a cable you are running a AP. When you connect it via wifi you are running a repeater. The AP method is always best and is what is done by large corporations.
If you are going to use a wifi connection instead of a cable then you might want to look into other "mesh" devices. The only real advantage these have over the older repeaters is they have a dedicated radio to talk between the main router and the end device. They use different radio chips to talk to the end client machines. I know some but not all models of the orbi system work this way. I think asus has unit also but it must contain 3 radio chips and the units you have do not.

I am not sure why people think mesh is such a magic thing.

The new router asus has is called axe11000 I think. It is the same as the ax11000 but with a 6g radio chip as the third radio. There is very little information, I am not sure if it is just announced or if they actually are selling it. The Intel chip I saw posted on this site about a week ago. I don't think you can buy that unitl first part of 2021.

Solution

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014

If you are going to use a wifi connection instead of a cable then you might want to look into other "mesh" devices. The only real advantage these have over the older repeaters is they have a dedicated radio to talk between the main router and the end device. They use different radio chips to talk to the end client machines. I know some but not all models of the orbi system work this way. I think asus has unit also but it must contain 3 radio chips and the units you have do not.

I am not sure why people think mesh is such a magic thing.

The new router asus has is called axe11000 I think. It is the same as the ax11000 but with a 6g radio chip as the third radio. There is very little information, I am not sure if it is just announced or if they actually are selling it. The Intel chip I saw posted on this site about a week ago. I don't think you can buy that unitl first part of 2021.
lol yes it has, but thanks for sticking around. Okay so i'd have the one router (main going to modem) and another one in living room that would be able to have a ethernet connection, however the way the living is working right now is i have the router going into my wall down to a switch then the ethernt running from switch to living room to be used for my chomecast/ps4 (only had enough to run one cable up at time and it was a tight fit so not sure if two will make it)....as for if i wanted to install a third i'd have to run another wire somewhere or not sure? So in theory then I could purchase the ax86u and use it as the main router (connecting to modem) and then have the ac86u in the living room using the ethernet to make it another AP/node...

As for the radio chips, that would be what they refer to as a tri band router, right? like the zens are...the initial one i was looking at being mentioned with the "mesh" network.

I really don't know a lot about the details of how repeater/mesh radios are configured in any particular unit. I avoid any form of repeater. The extra wifi radio hop never is a good thing no matter how much the vendors pretend it is not a issue.

If I read it correctly and you want more ports in the living room just add another switch. Then again if you are using a router as a AP you have the extra lan ports you can also use.

Not sure in any case you want to use a wifi as little as possible even to your end devices. Nothing compares to a ethernet connection. When ethernet is not available you look at either MoCA or poweline networks. When there is noting else you can do then you consider repeater/mesh.