New Belkin 802.11n Router Features Torrent App

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
So I wonder how the Torrent Genie works... Perhaps the router has a built-in hard drive, essentially making it a combined router/NAS, or more likely, since it has its own apps, that its hardware is more microprocessor than microcontroller, making this closer to a combination of "personal server" and router... All told, an interesting idea, that I'm surprised hasn't been done before.

Of course, the prospect of it offloading torrenting from the PC when the PC's not available makes me wonder if it'd handle seeding, too.

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I sure as hell got my eye on this....Been looking to a solution for this for a long time. Was thinking abouta dedicated PC for donwloads, till i saw this! Killed the idea in its track. Good Job spotting this Kevin.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]*Looks at DI-524 with disgust*You have to go.[/citation]
*Looks at DIR-825 in contempt*
You're staying. I just bought you, expensive POS... Wireless N at wireless G speeds, YAY!

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"Thanks to Apple and the way it has re-invented the consumer's need for small dinky programs (rather than over-bloated, over-priced software), we're witnessing a change in the "gadget" industry that has now infiltrated into our beloved wireless routers. "
What does Apple have to do with this? Sounds like a horrible article to me, way to fanboy it up..

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
How does the router download the movie/music/game when the PC is turned off? Does it have 2 TB HDD built-in or as an external storage option? Heh. What happens if it got infected with virus, simple reset or does it have to be returned to vendor for a re-"format"?

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Um, last time I checked those "dinky" gadgets are still bloated for what they do - and on a higher ratio than actual full blown software. I hate gadgets more than I do microsoft and adobe bloating. When is toms going to go back to being an actual technical site.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]How does the router download the movie/music/game when the PC is turned off? Does it have 2 TB HDD built-in or as an external storage option? Heh. What happens if it got infected with virus, simple reset or does it have to be returned to vendor for a re-"format"?[/citation]
My router has a USB port (meant for USB storage across the network, but it'd work). I'm sure many others do.

Morgan3rd

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Because I want to restart my router even more often when some crappy app coded by cheap Chinese code monkeys goes belly up.

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]Routers like the wrt54g's had torrent downloading for years, it is nothing new, it just required a custom firmware like openwrt.[/citation]
Exactly. A lot of Linksys' routers have that capability, like the sexy WRT160NL - http://www.linksysbycisco.com/EU/en/products/WRT160NL
Designed to install Linux and apps. A lot more interesting than this Belkin router imo (since you can actually customize what apps it should run).
EDIT: Seems I left a dot in that link.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Looks nice. I'm about due for a new router anyway, this thing could almost pay for itself in a year w/ the energy i'll be able to save by not having one or both PCs running 24/7 to host my files and such.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
one thing i'm wondering is why it doesnt say that it can stream videos from the router. If it has mass storage support it should be able to stream movies in addition to music

Status
Not open for further replies.