[SOLVED] New build advice

nsuinteger

Honorable
Jun 1, 2014
Hello folks,
Have come up with this for a new gaming setup build.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | A$299.00 @ Centre Com
Motherboard | Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard | A$217.00 @ Skycomp Technology
Memory | \*Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | A$114.40 @ Newegg Australia
Storage | Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | A$85.00 @ Shopping Express
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card | A$539.00 @ Newegg Australia
Case | NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case | A$139.00 @ Austin Computers
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | A$189.00 @ PCCaseGear
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | A$1582.40
| \*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria |
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-19 13:47 AEST+1000 |

Monitor needed - No
Keyboard / Mouse needed - No
Storage - Currently have WD blue nvme pci3 256GB ssd, which I use for bootcamp and am happy to throw it for this build.
OS Software - No

Any advice on the following is appreciated.

1. Have trouble picking between GTX 1660 / super and RTX 2060. I don't have budget for RTX 2060 super ranged cards. Also what's the difference between evga ko / xc and msi ventus series?

2. Will the RTX 2060 be an overkill for the ryzen 5 3600 / Ryzen 3 3300x range cpus?

3. I really prefer small sized computers and NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case really caught my eye, it does have usb-c front panel which is of no use with the b450 boards, Is there a better approach? (B550 and X570 range are almost twice the cost)

4. Upgrade paths - I will first look into some liquid cooling cpu and gpu as first point of upgrade. Next inline second 2.5 ssd or replace existing 256GB nvme drive. Anything else I've overlooked?

5. PSU - Can I survive with 550W or should I really need to push for 650W?

sorry for long list, thanks :)

Last edited:
Solution
  1. 2060 if your budget can allow it.
  2. The RTX 2060 should run just fine with your 3600, and isn't overkill by any means. You could probably get a 2080 and pair it with a 3600 without much bottleneck.
  3. Case is usually jut preference, with the exception of a couple things. Also, the panel should work fine with your board, I know this because my board does.
  4. Liquid cooling is unnecessary unless you want to show off your PC's looks. I advise you just stick with air cooling. Although, I do think it is a smart move to upgrade your storage solution. Use either of the SSDs as a boot drive and then buy another drive that is (preferably) >1TB. This is just a suggestion, it isn't mandatory.
  5. 550 watts should be sufficient. You...

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
  2. The RTX 2060 should run just fine with your 3600, and isn't overkill by any means. You could probably get a 2080 and pair it with a 3600 without much bottleneck.
  3. Case is usually jut preference, with the exception of a couple things. Also, the panel should work fine with your board, I know this because my board does.
  4. Liquid cooling is unnecessary unless you want to show off your PC's looks. I advise you just stick with air cooling. Although, I do think it is a smart move to upgrade your storage solution. Use either of the SSDs as a boot drive and then buy another drive that is (preferably) >1TB. This is just a suggestion, it isn't mandatory.
  5. 550 watts should be sufficient. You hear a lot of people, at least I did when I first started researching components, that recommend that you buy a power supply 100 or 200 watts more than you actually need. You also hear a lot about "future-proofing". Don't worry about future-proofing, it is not something you should worry about.

Hope this helps, building your first PC is something to be remembered, hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: nsuinteger
Solution

nsuinteger

Honorable
Jun 1, 2014
  5. 550 watts should be sufficient. You hear a lot of people, at least I did when I first started researching components, that recommend that you buy a power supply 100 or 200 watts more than you actually need. You also hear a lot about "future-proofing". Don't worry about future-proofing, it is not something you should worry about.
Hope this helps, building your first PC is something to be remembered, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks alot for the helpful suggestions. Yeah I’m not too fuzz about hardcore future proofing or overclocking. If couple years later if I can still run a triple A game on med to high settings without suffering alot, I’m a happy man.

Water cooling idea is just a though, because well it looks pretty dope and only if air cooling isnt enough to keep the system stable. 🙂

Cheers,

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Thanks alot for the helpful suggestions. Yeah I’m not too fuzz about hardcore future proofing or overclocking. If couple years later if I can still run a triple A game on med to high settings without suffering alot, I’m a happy man.

Water cooling idea is just a though, because well it looks pretty dope and only if air cooling isnt enough to keep the system stable. 🙂

Cheers,
Also, I just went through the pricing and noticed that your graphics card is $540. Look at a 2070 or 2070 Super instead. They produce a much better performance at a similar price (in the U.S the prices are similar). Another thing, try to refrain from buying too many components right now. Many of the large export hubs (China, for example) are closed down or don't have the means to produce more products due to global circumstances. If you can, try and wait a month or two and see if things start to settle down a bit.

nsuinteger

Honorable
Jun 1, 2014
Also, I just went through the pricing and noticed that your graphics card is $540. Look at a 2070 or 2070 Super instead. They produce a much better performance at a similar price (in the U.S the prices are similar). Another thing, try to refrain from buying too many components right now. Many of the large export hubs (China, for example) are closed down or don't have the means to produce more products due to global circumstances. If you can, try and wait a month or two and see if things start to settle down a bit.
Hi @Ziferous,
Thanks for the suggestion on waiting. The prices are in aud. Rtx 2070 costs about AUD 900-1000 for non super models sadly.