New build, am I running enough power through my system? Please Help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anticonfection

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
So I just completed my first build a little while ago. Everything works, but there's one problem. Whenever I turn the computer on, the power supply fan starts turning for a few seconds then dies out, and the computer won't boot up. Everything else works; the CPU fan, case fans, graphics card fan, etc. A friend is coming over today to take a look at it and see if there is anything super obvious that I did wrong, but I had a question that I thought I'd bring here.

Seeing as all of you, well most of you, know more than me, I was wondering if you could assess my built and tell me if I have a high enough watt-rated power supply for what I'm running, or if I need to get a higher one. Here's my build:

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case: SilverStone Raven 3 RV03B Full Tower
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

The power supply I'm using for all of this is a Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply. If someone could take the time to look at this and tell me if I'm running enough power through my system or not, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thank you so much!
~Anticonfection :)

just reading the user manual

you dont need the eatx12v 2 connected to boot--just the 8 pin

the eatx 12v 2 is to provide more power if you use more than one graphics card

got 20+4 and 8 pin that can split into 2 x 4 pin and another 8 pin that can split into 2 x 4 pin on my psu

far as i remember--it came with so many cables its hard to remember them all

anyway his motherboard user manual says only the 8 pin needs connecting to boot

so the issue is something other

like a short or hes connected the power switch wrong or faulty psu etc

anticonfection

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Still having the same reaction. When I start it up, the LED on my case by the power button flashes red for just a second then goes back to the white LED color. It makes a sound like air being released, like a scaled down version of a Semi truck's air brakes.

anticonfection

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Everything seems to be connected right and I am using standoffs. I was gonna pull it apart again and look over it real quick, but I realized that I have to head to my College class. (Kinda ironic, I'm studying Electrical Instrumentation and I'm having electrical problems.) My buddy is gonna come over after I get out of class and we're gonna tear it down and build it from the ground up again. Maybe keep this a little active for a few hours, I'll be posting on here again tonight when he gets here.
Thank you again for all of your guys' help, you'll probably be hearing from me here soon.