[SOLVED] New build but will not turn on with GPU installed

Aug 15, 2020
Good morning,

Let me see if can concisely write this down. I built a new Ryzen computer and reused a known good power supply and graphics card. When it is only the CPU and ram installed computer will respond to the power button (ie. the fans come on). However, when the GPU is installed and the power is connected, nothing will come on. The power button does nothing, no fans.

I have tried two known good GPU's and it has the same results. I know they are good because I tried them in my existing system and they worked fine, but, when plugged into the new one, it's a no go. I've tried new power cables as well to no avail. I'd go into the bios to check settings but, without a GPU the Ryzen 5 has no integrated graphics. Here are the specs:

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • MOBO: Asus b450m plus gaming
  • PSU: Seasonic Flagship Prime Titanium 850 SSR-850TD
  • GPU: GTX 980 (also tried a GTX 560)
  • Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

I get a sinking feeling that I'm going to have to RMA the mobo, but, wanted to check here first to see if I'm missing anything.
Thank you all, I really appreciate the assist,
Jon

Solution
Thank you both for your interest in helping me on this. I have actually solved it. I thought of one last thing to try, switch out the power cable from the PSU to the GPU. Swapping out the cable worked! I must have damaged the original cable when dismantling the old computer. Thank you both again!
Aug 15, 2020
The B450M-PLUS Gaming motherboard has integrated graphics. Without installing the GPU, try plugging your monitor into the DVI or HDMI output and see what happens. Do you get a boot screen, and if so, can you get into the BIOS?

Aug 15, 2020
Thank you both for your interest in helping me on this. I have actually solved it. I thought of one last thing to try, switch out the power cable from the PSU to the GPU. Swapping out the cable worked! I must have damaged the original cable when dismantling the old computer. Thank you both again!

Reactions: NoRest4wk4wkd
Solution
Aug 15, 2020
Glad to hear you got it figured out! That's awesome, best wishes!