New build constantly crashing and showing white led on Mother board for VGA.

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017
So after a lot of searching i am seriously out of solutions.

kindly help me i am freaking out.

so i made a new build with following specs

mobo:asus b250f
bios-0810

CPU: i7 7700k( i know this is not correct but i will upgrade my mobo later, its a long story).
GPU:Asus Strix gtx 1070
Ram: corsair vengeance 8x2
psu: corsair rm750x.

i made this build by my self and every thing worked perfectly for 3 to 4 days. i played games and saw that all the temps were normal. cpu and gpu both <70.

then yesterday when i turned the pc on there was no display and i noticed that on the mother board boot device led was on ( solid green ) , did a little research and after closing my pc i restarted it and it worked perfectly.
but today it happened again but today it crashed. first time the screen froze after showing red checkered boxes. i restarted the pc and this time there was no display but instead of boot device led VGA led was on ( solid white )and then i took the gpu out and then re installed it, and it started working good. i played for an hour and when i closed the game the screen went light blue after a couple of minutes and then again on restart the VGA led stayed on(solid white) for 10 - 15 seconds then it went off then boot device stayed on (solid green) for 5- 10 seconds then went of. and no display.

i dont know how to trouble shoot and solve this issue.

i rechecked all the mother board connections and tried ram etc. every thing is good.
i updated the nvidea driver as well.

one strange thing is when computer turned on this way the resoulution shown on my tv is 680X480 something.in normal case its 1920X1080 it dont know if its relevant.

please help me.

sorry for Grammar mistakes if any.

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

i am sorry i didnt know where to put this question, as in components or gpu or where, thats why i posted it in multiple places to get better response.

update the BIOS to version 1023, (on the ASUS website it´s shown as "Version -")

check your whole system
temperature in intel processor diagnostics tool
furmark stress test for about 10minutes

how did you reinstall windows? Did you use the windows media creation tool or something else?

check SSD/HDD with its manufacturer´s tool

run memtest.org autoinstaller and boot from USB

the motherboard is installed in a case? stand offs installed correctly?

Use only the HD graphics (remove the 1070), and have a look if it happens then too.

reset the BIOS by jumper

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

Thank you So much for the reply. Sorry for a long reply again but i want to tell every detail.

The latest version of bios mentioned on asus website for my mother board(b250f) is 0810 after that the next update is about some ME tool. i updated the bios from bios using EZ flash utility and checked the option to internet so it downloaded the latest version itself without giving me the choice to chose the version. but one main thing is this issue occurred both before and after the bios update.

i reassembled the whole pc the second time because an hdmi port pin on the back shield was bent and it might be be causing the issue plus it was mentioned some where that mother board might be touching case so i checked all the standoffs and they were all tight and ok were perfect. one major thing is this started happening suddenly after working ok for two three days it started out of the blue.

i checked the CPU temps using prime 95 and after 15 minutes of continuous prime 95 execution my temps reached 90C after which i closed the testing and was worried that these temps are not good. but during game the max temps my cpu EVER reached is 68C so i thought that it is ok since i cannot overclock the cpu. if it ever crossed 75C during gaming i will change the Cooler. Currently its cryorig m9i. i am using it because i thought it can handle a i7 at stock speeds.

i ran unigen Heaven for 1.5 hour and the temps were below 70C for both gpu and cpu without any issue.

i tested after removing the 1070 and it started working so i thought it was the card but just for the sake of confirmation i re inserted the card and it started working as well. so i thought it may be happened due to the issue that card was not seated well. but the next day it happened again. i even changed the pcie port on the mother board and it gave the same Successful/Unsuccessful Rate. even changed the pcie power cable.

today i contacted the person from whom i bought the graphics card and told him the issue he asked me whether i overclocked the card or not and i told him that it was running at the speeds at which it came. no overclocking of any, he sort told me to check the bios for some settings , some times the mobo overclock gpu it self.(still trying to find that setting and still cannot find it).

but any way the computer caused issue today as well but after trying to turn it on again and again it came to life after third or fourth continuous try and started working ok. (again i dont know what changed.)

one strange thing is while running the unigen Superposition benchmark i noticed that the clock for my GPU it was showing 2015~MHz. and from what i know the max clocks in even gaming mode for 1070 is 1865 MHz which made me think that its may be auto overclocking so i downloaded the asus tweak utility and change the mode from gaming to silent and i still shows 1980~ MHz some times 2000+. but i cant find a setting which enables overclocking for gpu.

due to the inconsistency of error i cannot point out the culprit for this issue, my mind is literally boiling and every time i turn on the pc i pray that it works.

what should i do next.

prime95 version 26.6 without extended AVX will get you a better thermal comparison. Choose option smallFFT. But the temperature should be fine, if it´s not over 70°C with the other tests you did.

Wouldn´t get into the TurboBoost of the graphics card, it should be stable if it does it itself. You could reduce the power limit via MSI Afterburner, if you really want to.

other things checked yet?
check SSD/HDD with its manufacturer´s tool

run memtest.org autoinstaller and boot from USB

also please run the free tool 3dmark basic edition, after the benchmark click on compare result online and post the address which comes up in your browser

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

i didnt check the drives with its manufacturer´s tool but i did a benchmark on SSD and the results were as expected.
plus i did a run with User benchmark and it showed ram,ssd,hdd performin as or better than expected.

right now i installed the 3d mark, run the test but it ran perfectly through the demo but during bench marking it crashed and gave 0 results for cpu and gpu so i thought i had alot of applications opened like msi after burner hwmonitor chrome etc, so i restarted the pc and ran the test again it crashed again at approximately the same time and this time the computer restarted and the resolution was all messed up. i went to device manager and for 1070 there was a hazard sign and in properties it said that the "windows has disabled this device because it reported error, code 43" so i looked on the internet and the first solution said it is due to driver shut down pc completely and then restart it. i did that. shut down the computer and turned the power supply on until all mobos lights were off then restarted it and the issue returned. white VGA led for few seconds then nothing.

does this have to do something with the power supply?

what i noticed is since this issue occurred. that when ever i turned on the pc right after turning the power supply on this issue occurs. but if i turn on the power supply and let pc sit for let say approx 5 min and then turn on the pc. the issue goes away. but thats also not completely consistent. but its happening .

about memtest.org , ithink it has to do with memory , i do not know how to use it i will run it after some searching.

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

so here's what i found during yesterday's and today's testing.

when ever i turned on the power supply in the morning and right after that i turn on the pc. this issue occurs.
if i turn on the power supply, wait for say 10~ minutes and then turn on the pc it works correctly.

but yesterday i was running some tests on the pc, like user benchmark and pc started to crash, like alot, finally when i was done with the benchmark, i started a game and it crashed again.

i am also thinking that it might be a power supply issue.
actually i dont have another pc at hand to test things.

asus says that it might be pcie or GPU.

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

i am sorry for a stupid question but just to be sure , by mother boards's socket you mean CPU socket?

and GPU gets to about 68C-69C after running Unigen heaven for an hour of playing metro last light for an hour (checked using MSI afterburner).

but yesterday late at night i was testing again and the pc starts to crash. whenever i starts the metro last light game during the intro video the screen froze with red checkered pattern on the screen and computer restarted, it happened three times continuously, today i tried thrice to turn the pc on but there was no display with same symptoms(White Solid LED for VGA on mother board). i will try tomorrow as well.

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

So here is an update and probably the final solution for me, but i am still in contact with asus to find the reason for this issue.

so yesterday i went to the shop from which i bought all the parts to get everything tested.

first step was to de assemble all parts, including cpu to check for any bent pins and ram and all connections

secondly first test i took the graphic card out and check with on board hdmi port and computer started normally.
so i thought the graphic card is bad, but to be sure i installed the graphic card in another computer and it worked there normally.
so i thought the PCIe lane on my mother board is an issue, so i inserted another card on my mother board nvidia 650 (which does not require external power and get its power from PCIe) and gues what, it also worked normally on my motherboard
so i thought the only remaining untested piece is power supply, so i attached anotehr power supply to my computer with my own graphics card in it and the problem reproduced which means the problem does not have to do any thing with power supply.
at that point the shop keeper told me that once before he had faced this kind of issue with Asus b250f mother board and Nvidia gtx 1070, its some kind of a compatibility issue with motherboard and i need to claim the warranty for it. so i agreed but upon some discussion i thought about instead of getting the b250f again i am thinking about replacing to z270 mother board. i do have to pay a little amount for this replacement. but i have two choices.

gigabyte z270x ultra gaming
asus z270e(more expensive)

which one should i buy from these two? i am more inclined towards gigabyte because in my opinion its good enough for me.

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

So after last testing it turned out the mother board is bad and i changed the mother board to gigabyte z270x UG and guess what the issue occurred again, so i asked the shop keeper to check the GPU in the other pc where it worked last time and made me change the mother board, to that he said there is no CPU in that systme so i asked hm to place my CPU there, and the issue occurred there as well(where last time it worked well there). so it made me think that it might be an issue with the CPU.

so my question is is it possible that this whole issue is caused by a bad CPU?

did you try another video card on the test system with your CPU?

power supply was a different one too in the test system?

BIOS version up to date?

Did you try another video card in the test system?

CPU faults can happen, clean the contacts of the CPU with isopropyl alcohol,

Eventually pins of the motherboard´s socket bent?

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

yes i tried another nvidia 650 on my system and test system.

yes the power supply was different on test system as well as i swapped power supply on my system.

yes i tried after updating bios to latest version i.e. F7

the shop keeper cleaned the cpu on both sides before installing in my board and other board.

i checked for the bent pins in my old mother board, but there were none. same as new system.

final thing is i am going back to the shop to check the GPU with another CPU in test system and in my system.

the issues in this case are ,

1) i want to find the real culprit of this issue so in future i know what happened and how it happened to prevent it in future.
2) the GPU is in international warranty and it will cost extra money and a lot of time for the claim plus it seems pretty fine on physically e.g. fans spin normally it kind of gives output signal etc.

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

yes i have grounded my self during the build but in my case the pc worked just fine for two-three days and then suddenly issues started, no sudden power loss, no overclocking i have no idea what could've caused he issue. well for CPU confirmation i inserted the card in another system today and it didnt work there as well, so i think its definitely the card.

Today´s electronic components can work for like >6years or just die after the warranty <5years to 1 year or it works for hours or it´s DOA (dead on arrival). Something went wrong in the manufacturing process or while delivery

also possible but less likely: power supplies can damage components, or not stable power from the wall plug, motherboards as well,...

could be anything, so don´t think too much to prevent it, it has to work or if not, RMA it.

hassan.khalid16

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017

that was exactly my thought but i was worried because

a) i have invested a lot of money of this system, to make it secure i bought APC ups, bought Class A Power supply and everything,
i am going to RMA it, its my only choice.
what i am worried about is i don't know the cause or reason for this and that's why i don't know how to prevent this in future.
plus can you tell me how many times a person can claim warranty on a product?